Stateroom review SB 7088 – Vista “hump suite”

Iowa-Cruiser

Our Zuiderdam stateroom was deluxe veranda suite SB 7088. It is one of the so-called “hump” suites or “angled” suites on the Vista class ships. I have some photos of the suite, veranda, and other misc views on webshots: http://community.webshots.com/album/576339640aETOvN

(Note to IRL_Joanie – feel free to use any of those photos for your stateroom site)

Size: the suite appears comparable in size to the SA suites. The biggest differences are in the layout and the veranda. When we had the opportunity to visit an SA suite (thanks Mpowered), we noticed a few extra shelve placed around and the sofa was a bit different. The bathroom in our suite was oriented along the cross-ship direction (it is what “sticks out” into the hall on the diagram), while the one in the SA suite was oriented along the ship’s axis. The veranda is a bit narrower in this suite – 5.5 ft deep for the straight section, about 6 ft deep for the angled section, and 7 ft deep in the corner where our veranda met with the veranda of the SA suite just forward of ours. The SA verandas are 7 ft deep for their entire length.

The veranda was usable most of the time, even when the ship was steaming ahead. It was a bit windy, but that did not mean we could not use it. Like all verandas, its “windiness” depended heavily upon the direction of the wind relative to the position of the ship. When we were running with the wind, the air was almost still out on our veranda.

The view from the veranda was exceptional. We had excellent views straight out to sea and forward along the ship. We did not feel any loss of privacy from the fact that many staterooms along the side of the ship could see us on the veranda – we could also see them! The rule is wear clothing when out on the veranda.

For being so far from the Neptune Lounge, I was surprised at the WiFi signal I got. I had no trouble logging on during the cruise. What is even more interesting is a suite closer to the Neptune could not get a good signal. I was under the impression, from the Neptune concierge, that the WiFi signal originates from there, that may or may not be correct.

Overall – we loved this suite, and would book it again.

How was the rest of the ship and the cruise? And you thought you were getting away from the cold weather.. Did it warm up?? How was the food, service... etc.. etc...

I will grab the photos tomorrow and post them along with your review tomorrow. Meds have kicked in tonight so...

Joanie

Our Zuiderdam stateroom was deluxe veranda suite SB 7088. It is one of the so-called “hump” suites or “angled” suites on the Vista class ships. I have some photos of the suite, veranda, and other misc views on webshots: http://community.webshots.com/album/576339640aETOvN

(Note to IRL_Joanie – feel free to use any of those photos for your stateroom site)

Size: the suite appears comparable in size to the SA suites. The biggest differences are in the layout and the veranda. When we had the opportunity to visit an SA suite (thanks Mpowered), we noticed a few extra shelve placed around and the sofa was a bit different. The bathroom in our suite was oriented along the cross-ship direction (it is what “sticks out” into the hall on the diagram), while the one in the SA suite was oriented along the ship’s axis. The veranda is a bit narrower in this suite – 5.5 ft deep for the straight section, about 6 ft deep for the angled section, and 7 ft deep in the corner where our veranda met with the veranda of the SA suite just forward of ours. The SA verandas are 7 ft deep for their entire length.

The veranda was usable most of the time, even when the ship was steaming ahead. It was a bit windy, but that did not mean we could not use it. Like all verandas, its “windiness” depended heavily upon the direction of the wind relative to the position of the ship. When we were running with the wind, the air was almost still out on our veranda.

The view from the veranda was exceptional. We had excellent views straight out to sea and forward along the ship. We did not feel any loss of privacy from the fact that many staterooms along the side of the ship could see us on the veranda – we could also see them! The rule is wear clothing when out on the veranda.

For being so far from the Neptune Lounge, I was surprised at the WiFi signal I got. I had no trouble logging on during the cruise. What is even more interesting is a suite closer to the Neptune could not get a good signal. I was under the impression, from the Neptune concierge, that the WiFi signal originates from there, that may or may not be correct.

Overall – we loved this suite, and would book it again

We stayed in SB 7088 on the Westerdam twice and a third time will be in a week. We loved that suite and the spaciousnous of it. This is why I will book my cruise as far in advance as I can to get this suite. This is our first time going to the Caribbean and we look forward to sitting on the balconey quite a bit since the other times were to Alaska and was a bit cold but the views of the glaciers from this suite were spectaculor. It's just a nice walk to the Neptune L to justify a snack and some exercise at the same time.:D

Our Zuiderdam stateroom was deluxe veranda suite SB 7088. .....(Note to IRL_Joanie – feel free to use any of those photos for your stateroom site).....

We stayed in SB 7088 on the Westerdam twice and a third time will be in a week. We loved that suite and the spaciousnous of it. This is why I will book my cruise as far in advance as I can to get this suite. This is our first time going to the Caribbean and we look forward to sitting on the balconey quite a bit since the other times were to Alaska and was a bit cold but the views of the glaciers from this suite were spectaculor. It's just a nice walk to the Neptune L to justify a snack and some exercise at the same time.:D

First off to Iowa Cruiser... BEAUTIFUL Photo of the Waterdord Crystal Seahorse in the Atrium!!! It is absolutely gorgeous!! I have the photos up and running now on the site at: http://joanjett2000.topcities.com/HAL/Zuiderdam/index.html

Second to PokeyNose..BARB!!! Good to see you feeling well again my friend!! Well enough to post again!! Prayers work!!:)

Joanie

How was the rest of the ship and the cruise? And you thought you were getting away from the cold weather.. Did it warm up?? How was the food, service... etc.. etc...

I will grab the photos tomorrow and post them along with your review tomorrow. Meds have kicked in tonight so...

Joanie

I posted a day-by-day blog of our experiences. I have to say it was simply marvelous. I am sure others might have other opinions, but we were thoroughly pampered and treated well. A few minor issues that all were handled or corrected.

As for the weather - it was 0F when we left Iowa, and 18F when we got back. That probably explains why we did not think that the mid-70's in HMC was cold. We both went swimming several times - the ocean was cool, but OK after you got in. We were just happy to see liquid water, not ice.

First off to Iowa Cruiser... BEAUTIFUL Photo of the Waterdord Crystal Seahorse in the Atrium!!! It is absolutely gorgeous!! I have the photos up and running now on the site at: http://joanjett2000.topcities.com/HAL/Zuiderdam/index.html

Joanie[/b][/color][/size][/font]

Joanie - you are welcome. The only comment is the aft view you posted under our suite is actually taken from the aft of the Promenade deck, not from our suite. It is a nice view though.

Thanks for posting the photos, I lurve looking at different rooms/verandas! P.S. that Oasis photo from your site makes her look like sortof a fatty :P

She does look quite top heavy - I am not sure how she stays upright. The Oasis is only 33% longer than the Z (1200 ft vs. 900 ft), but holds over 3 times the passengers.

• 1 month later...
Thank you for the answer--one more question-how do gain access to the neptune area--is there a special key card -or what?Is there ever any problems with attempted use by non-suite quest? Thanks

I see from you other posts that you are in a SB cabin, so you have access to the Neptune. This has been discussed in much length before. The concierges know who is entitled to access to the Neptune. They are in absolute control!!!:D

I will be entering with my DW, who is a Navy LT (ret)- for the OP, from Iowa- who wouldn't know port from starboard- embarassing for former Navy!!

Thank you for the answer--one more question-how do gain access to the neptune area--is there a special key card -or what?Is there ever any problems with attempted use by non-suite quest? Thanks

Often the door is open and you are warmly greeted by one of the nice conceirges. They quickly learn who is in the suites. If the door is closed, your room key card will open it.

If a non-suite guest tries to gain access, they are made to walk the plank.:D

Archived