Layover activity in Anchorage - zoo?

Rufus2382

Hi.

I’m a new subscriber to CC and am a relative novice as far as cruising goes. (The only cruise was a river cruise in China.)

My wife and I, and another couple, will be sailing north to Seward in June. We will take the train from Seward into Anchorage and then flying home from Anchorage about 9PM. So we are looking for a relaxed activity to fill the time between the train arrival (at about noon or so) and the flight departure. I have read several reviews on TripAdvisor about the Alaska Zoo and we are thinking that might be a good activity. So, a couple of questions.

First, perhaps the most basic: What happens to our luggage between train arrival and flight departure? Is there somewhere we can leave it safely while we visit the zoo?

Is there public transportation to/from the zoo? If not, any general idea about cost of a taxi?

What about transportation to the airport? Public? Cost of taxi?

Finally, any other suggestions for a relaxed activity during our layover in Anchorage?

Thanks.

Rufus

My DH and I are in a similar situation with a flight that departs Anchorage at 9:10 pm. I couldn't find trains that worked into our time schedule and was considering a bus that takes in the Wilderness Refuge Center, along with scenic stops, but would get us to the the airport at approx. 1 pm (yuk). I know this is not answering your question about the zoo, but would you please share your info about the train. Thanks

Can rental really is a good idea especially if you can turn the car in at the airport. You can have a nice dinner somewhere before you fly. Food choices at the airport aren't wonderful.

I can't say I'd spend any time at the zoo.

The Zoo has run a free shuttle from downtown to the zoo the last several summers. I did not see anything on their site http://www.alaskazoo.org/index.htm yet regarding this summer but it's a good bet they will continue.

It is a nice little zoo definitely worth a couple hours or maybe three if you take your time.

Another alternative from downtown is the Alaska Native Heritage Center. It is half indoors and offers loaner umbrellas for the other half so it is a better pick if there is rain. They also run a free shuttle. http://www.alaskanative.net/

The cruise lines typically bring your luggage to Anchorage by truck ahead of you and hold it at the airport or downtown hospitality center until you are ready to pick it up. Check with your line for details. Your cruise line's host at the hospitality center should be able to point out where the shuttles pick up, it is usually at the log cabin. This is based on the assumption that you are on the cruise line's train and did not book through AKRR yourself.

Missdaisy;

Regarding your situation. If you are referring to the ship's (Princess or HAL) tour that includes the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center. That tour drops off at the Airport and Downtown, your choice. Thus, you can get something to eat downtown, explore a bit, see the museum, walk on the costal trail etc. then head to the airport. The connection from downtown to the airport takes about 15 minutes (20 during rush hour) and is available all afternoon.

Something we enjoyed a couple years ago and will be doing again in June with our 12 yr old grandson was to visit Earthquake museum & movie downtown and then go to Earthquake Park. Also to ride around the lake where all the people have their seaplanes.

According to the Alaska Railroad website, http://www.alaskarailroad.com/Schedules/CoastalClassic/tabid/100/Default.aspx the train leaves Seward at 6 pm and arrives in Anchorage at 10:15 pm. There is only one that runs between Seward and Anchorage, the Coastal CLassic. It goes South from Anchorage in the morning and goes North, back to Anchorage in the evening. I believe it's a 6 hour trip.

We are sailing on the Celebrity Millennium which will dock in Seward on June 4, early A.M. Because we really want to ride the train and it only goes North in the evening, we decided to spend a couple of days in Anchorage.

If your flight is the same evening as the day you dock, you won't have time to ride the train to Anchorage.

The Zoo has run a free shuttle from downtown to the zoo the last several summers. I did not see anything on their site http://www.alaskazoo.org/index.htm yet regarding this summer but it's a good bet they will continue.

It is a nice little zoo definitely worth a couple hours or maybe three if you take your time.

Another alternative from downtown is the Alaska Native Heritage Center. It is half indoors and offers loaner umbrellas for the other half so it is a better pick if there is rain. They also run a free shuttle. http://www.alaskanative.net/

The cruise lines typically bring your luggage to Anchorage by truck ahead of you and hold it at the airport or downtown hospitality center until you are ready to pick it up. Check with your line for details. Your cruise line's host at the hospitality center should be able to point out where the shuttles pick up, it is usually at the log cabin. This is based on the assumption that you are on the cruise line's train and did not book through AKRR yourself.

The Zoo quit the free shuttle from downtown last year, read it in my Zoo Newletter I think they were thinking about doing a free shuttle from the Dimond Center Bus Dept but not sure if that's going to occur or not this year.

According to the Alaska Railroad website, http://www.alaskarailroad.com/Schedules/CoastalClassic/tabid/100/Default.aspx the train leaves Seward at 6 pm and arrives in Anchorage at 10:15 pm. There is only one that runs between Seward and Anchorage, the Coastal CLassic. It goes South from Anchorage in the morning and goes North, back to Anchorage in the evening. I believe it's a 6 hour trip.

We are sailing on the Celebrity Millennium which will dock in Seward on June 4, early A.M. Because we really want to ride the train and it only goes North in the evening, we decided to spend a couple of days in Anchorage.

If your flight is the same evening as the day you dock, you won't have time to ride the train to Anchorage.

Some of the cruise lines run their own trains that leave in the morning. Basically it's the Alaska Railroad contracted out to them, but only available to the cruise line passengers.

Otherwise, yes the regular run of the Alaska Railroad is down in the morning and back into Anchorage after 10 p.m.

Susan in Anchorage :)

Hi.

I’m a new subscriber to CC and am a relative novice as far as cruising goes. (The only cruise was a river cruise in China.)

My wife and I, and another couple, will be sailing north to Seward in June. We will take the train from Seward into Anchorage and then flying home from Anchorage about 9PM. So we are looking for a relaxed activity to fill the time between the train arrival (at about noon or so) and the flight departure. I have read several reviews on TripAdvisor about the Alaska Zoo and we are thinking that might be a good activity. So, a couple of questions.

First, perhaps the most basic: What happens to our luggage between train arrival and flight departure? Is there somewhere we can leave it safely while we visit the zoo?

Is there public transportation to/from the zoo? If not, any general idea about cost of a taxi?

What about transportation to the airport? Public? Cost of taxi?

Finally, any other suggestions for a relaxed activity during our layover in Anchorage?

Thanks.

Rufus

First the warning to all that are leaving here during summer tourism season, it's a good idea to be at the airport at least two hours in advance. So if you have a 9 p.m., you should be at the airport in the vicinity of 7 p.m.

Now the other thing, a lot of the cruise line trains go straight to the airport depot instead of the one downtown. You'll have to ask your cruise line if that's the case. Being you'd be that early most airlines will not take luggage until it's 4 hours to your flight, but there is baggage storage at the airport. Not quite sure what the current cost is though.

Now if you go to the downtown depot there would be no place to store your bags.

You could probably get to the zoo by the bus but it could take a few transfers. I'd say a cab would run up into the $35 to $40 range from the airport and even more if you were downtown.

A cab from downtown to the airport will probably run in the $25 to $30 (including tip).

Again there is the bus but there is only one route out and from the airport so timing might not work.

Guess the big question to get answered would be, will your train come into the airport depot or the downtown depot, and then maybe I can make some other recommendations.

I have to say I love the Zoo. It's not big, but it's nice and I am a Zoo parent too. Been adopting the last few years, the last two I'm a Lynx parent :D

Susan in Anchorage :)

Just my opinion, BUT, if I was only in Anchorage a single day and haven't been in interior Alaska before, I would be CERTAIN to make the best use of my time. It would not be dependent on any bus/train etc. I would arrange some kind of touring using the time to my interest. OR I would rent a car direct from Whittier. YES costly, BUT, your bags go with you, you drive right to the airport, my time is VALUABLE, I factor that in heavily.

With a car, stuff is wide open. If you are through the 9am tunnel, very doable, you can see and do plenty.

IF going end of June, driving Hatcher Pass and Independence Mine is extremely scenic. Eklutna Spirit House tour is unique and interesting, glacier trekking is possible- bargain option since it is a drive in. Portage Glacier visitor center, boat ride, Conservation Center- all are right there to enjoy. Many stops along the Arm. Finally- a direct transit to any selected Anchorage activities, with NO time wasted- "waiting".

Some of the cruise lines run their own trains that leave in the morning. Basically it's the Alaska Railroad contracted out to them, but only available to the cruise line passengers.

Otherwise, yes the regular run of the Alaska Railroad is down in the morning and back into Anchorage after 10 p.m.

Susan,

Thanks for that info. Maybe that is why the train "stays" so long in Seward before leaving... The railroad was not one of Celebrity's choices for Seward to Anchorage. DH would have been much happier paying extra for the train ride without a couple of nights at a hotel:D

Just my opinion, BUT, if I was only in Anchorage a single day and haven't been in interior Alaska before, I would be CERTAIN to make the best use of my time. It would not be dependent on any bus/train etc. I would arrange some kind of touring using the time to my interest. OR I would rent a car direct from Whittier. YES costly, BUT, your bags go with you, you drive right to the airport, my time is VALUABLE, I factor that in heavily.

With a car, stuff is wide open. If you are through the 9am tunnel, very doable, you can see and do plenty.

IF going end of June, driving Hatcher Pass and Independence Mine is extremely scenic. Eklutna Spirit House tour is unique and interesting, glacier trekking is possible- bargain option since it is a drive in. Portage Glacier visitor center, boat ride, Conservation Center- all are right there to enjoy. Many stops along the Arm. Finally- a direct transit to any selected Anchorage activities, with NO time wasted- "waiting".

I kind of agree, but....they clearly stated they are arriving into Seward not Whittier :eek:

Still, with 4 people a one-way Hertz car rental I seriously doubt it will cost much more than the train for four. In fact, I would be surprised if the car rental cost more than 4 train tickets. Then you have all that flexibility and can stop anywhere you want.

Off the ship at 9-10am, car pick up (walk from the dock) and off by 10-11am. 3+ hours to Anchorage if you drove without stops. But you can stop all you want and still make it to the airport by 7pm.

Hi Rufus,

It's worth looking at a one way hire - pick up at Seward, drop off at Anchorage airport. Then you can do the Sealife center, Wildlife center, and still look around Anchorage-zoo, food etc. Everyone says the one way hire fee is huge but I found it was cheaper for 3 people and gave me the flexibility I wanted to do what I wanted on the day.

Have a look on the Hertz site.

When are you cruising?

Raina:):o:)

Yikes, yes Seward. My comments are the same. :) IF the cruise contracted train happens to be available, it will be at least $100pp. The car rental won't be that high. But I would also encourage an early start, be off the ship and at Hertz by 8am, make the most of the day. :)

Wow!! I am truly impressed by the responses to my first CC posting.

You have given me many new things to think about. I am sure that our hours in Anchorage will be well spent.

Because of your thoughtful replies, I will certainly not hesitate to ask questions in the future.

Thank you all.

Rufus

Archived