Ships Over 40

I am pleased to announce that Maritime Matters have just posted the latest, updated version of my list of all the overnight passenger ships in the world over 1,500 GT and over 40 years of age. You can view the list here. This year the list encompasses 102 vintage passenger ships, the oldest being GREAT BRITAIN, the very first modern ocean liner, built by I. K. Brunel in 1843, and the youngest being the no less than nine ships from 1965 which this year have "come of age" and become old enough to feature on this list.

Also new this year, the gross tonnage of each ship is included, and also all of the ships' former names which should make it easier to trace their histories and see if, perhaps, a ship on this list is a ghost from your past.

As always I'd like to thank all those who have helped in compiling this list, and of course Maritime Matters for giving it a home on the web.

Of course, if you see any errors or omissions please don't hesitate to e-mail me (address in signature) or post on this board.

• 1 month later...

What a great thread! I just discovered it and what fun it will be to read all the topics! I may never sleep again! Lots of memories of some of the old ships DH and I have sailed on together, but my very first cruise was solo on a trans-Atlantic sailing of the Andrea Doria.

Archived