Just back from alaska _ pearl 8/22-29

I'manewbie

Hi all, just a short review from someone who faithfully read this board for the last 7 months, trying to educate myself (a cruise virgin) on the ins and outs of cruising. My family - myself, DH and two teenaged sons, were on board the Pearl last week. Alaska has always been on my list of places to visit with my very well traveled sons, but because we are in the midst of paying for college (older son is a junior at a pricey school - younger son will follow shortly...) it never seemed to be in the budget.

Last Xmas, we cashed in my husband's frequent flier miles and Marriott point rewards that were accrued through his job, and spent the week in San Juan. We had a great time and even better, we were bumped on the way home. We were given 4 round trip tickets any where UAL flies in the lower 48 states. We live on the east coast and decided that this might be our chance to make the Alaska trip fit our budget.

Unlike many on this board, we knew there would be no suite life for us. The good news is...it didn't matter. The four of us stayed in an inside cabin - tight quarters to be sure - but we had a blast. We made sure to be out of the cabin for most of the day and really only used it to sleep. We also economized by eating only at restaurants that did not charge - so no Cagney's for us - but we found the food in the Summer Palace and Indigo to be more than fine and the boys loved going to the Blue Lagoon. We went to many shows, and lectures. We didn't drink alcohol and the kids didn't buy soda on board. Bingo is not our thing and we don't play the lottery at home, so I wasn't going to start on board. Also, I just don't understand the hoopla involving diamonds and a guy named Ian. I mistakenly attended a lecture one morning given by Ian, that I thought was going to explain the different ports - my mistake. It was instead a sales promo for a diamond store. Ian threw plastic rings into the audience and women swooned trying to get them - it was all a bit over the top - but whatever floats your boat.

Other ways we economized was by taking lite rail in from the airport. We stayed at the Westin (Priceline $80) and it was only a block from the Westgate station. For excursions - we took the $7 shuttle to Mendenhall glacier and was treated to a history of Juneau lecture from the excellent driver. Once there, we hiked in to the waterfall - simply beautiful! In Skagway, we rented a car from Avis and drove to Emerald Lake. Our car ride mostly paralleled the train ride and was 1/4 of the cost.

All in all, we loved our trip to Alaska! It may not have been the "trip of a lifetime" but merely one of many trips in my lifetime. It is certainly one that my family will remember forever. Thanks to all who have shared their experiences with this community - even if our trip didn't turn out exactly like yours - I learned so much from this board and am very thankful for you all.

Thanks for the upbeat review. After 13 cruises I finally went to a port presentation - on the Pearl with Ian. I thought Ian was very good at what he did and the presentation was pretty entertaining. If you went to find out anything about the port you would have been sorely disappointed but it was still a fun 45 mins. I went to get the free ship charm.

We were on the Pearl last week as well. I applaud your choices. Fortunately, Cruise Critic had prepared us for the onslaught of "buy, buy, buy," so we were prepared. Especially, your car rental in Skagway was a great idea. Wish we'd done that.

Must say your descriptions are the mirror image of our trip.

We were on the Star last week, which was ported with the Pearl on Tuesday (Juneau) and Wednesday (Skagway). My wife and I were traveling with our two teenage sons, but we "broke the bank" and sprung for two insides.

We did the light rail as well to and from SeaTac which was one-tenth the cost of the NCL airport transfers. True it required some walking up and down hills pulling wheeled luggage, but no problems.

Lastly, we also drove to Emerald Lake on our own via Avis. Even did some exploring down some of the gravel roads along the BC and Yukon lakes (but don't tell Avis).

Must say your descriptions are the mirror image of our trip.

We were on the Star last week, which was ported with the Pearl on Tuesday (Juneau) and Wednesday (Skagway). My wife and I were traveling with our two teenage sons, but we "broke the bank" and sprung for two insides.

We did the light rail as well to and from SeaTac which was one-tenth the cost of the NCL airport transfers. True it required some walking up and down hills pulling wheeled luggage, but no problems.

Lastly, we also drove to Emerald Lake on our own via Avis. Even did some exploring down some of the gravel roads along the BC and Yukon lakes (but don't tell Avis).

Yes, the hills of Seattle were a challenge! We each had a rolling carry on and a backpack. As I mentioned, we stayed at the Westin and had no problem walking from the literail station to the hotel. The challenge was walking from the hotel to the ship...some tense words exchanged between the hubby and I - but we did it and it only took about 15 minutes. I won out though and took a cab to the literail after the cruise - I had planned to take the 99 bus to a lite rail station but it didn't start running until 10 am on Sunday.

Hi all' date=' just a short review from someone who faithfully read this board for the last 7 months, trying to educate myself (a cruise virgin) on the ins and outs of cruising. My family - myself, DH and two teenaged sons, were on board the Pearl last week. Alaska has always been on my list of places to visit with my very well traveled sons, but because we are in the midst of paying for college (older son is a junior at a pricey school - younger son will follow shortly...) it never seemed to be in the budget.

Last Xmas, we cashed in my husband's frequent flier miles and Marriott point rewards that were accrued through his job, and spent the week in San Juan. We had a great time and even better, we were bumped on the way home. We were given 4 round trip tickets any where UAL flies in the lower 48 states. We live on the east coast and decided that this might be our chance to make the Alaska trip fit our budget.

Unlike many on this board, we knew there would be no suite life for us. The good news is...it didn't matter. The four of us stayed in an inside cabin - tight quarters to be sure - but we had a blast. We made sure to be out of the cabin for most of the day and really only used it to sleep. We also economized by eating only at restaurants that did not charge - so no Cagney's for us - but we found the food in the Summer Palace and Indigo to be more than fine and the boys loved going to the Blue Lagoon. We went to many shows, and lectures. We didn't drink alcohol and the kids didn't buy soda on board. Bingo is not our thing and we don't play the lottery at home, so I wasn't going to start on board. Also, I just don't understand the hoopla involving diamonds and a guy named Ian. I mistakenly attended a lecture one morning given by Ian, that I thought was going to explain the different ports - my mistake. It was instead a sales promo for a diamond store. Ian threw plastic rings into the audience and women swooned trying to get them - it was all a bit over the top - but whatever floats your boat.

Other ways we economized was by taking lite rail in from the airport. We stayed at the Westin (Priceline $80) and it was only a block from the Westgate station. For excursions - we took the $7 shuttle to Mendenhall glacier and was treated to a history of Juneau lecture from the excellent driver. Once there, we hiked in to the waterfall - simply beautiful! In Skagway, we rented a car from Avis and drove to Emerald Lake. Our car ride mostly paralleled the train ride and was 1/4 of the cost.

All in all, we loved our trip to Alaska! It may not have been the "trip of a lifetime" but merely one of many trips in my lifetime. It is certainly one that my family will remember forever. Thanks to all who have shared their experiences with this community - even if our trip didn't turn out exactly like yours - I learned so much from this board and am very thankful for you all.[/quote']

sounds like you made the best on a tight budget and proved, there is no reason to feel the need to allow the cruise lines or anyone else to nickel and dime you. Good for you..

Nita

Great review. More people should read it.

As you pointed out, you can have an outstanding trip with a little planning, and it does not require lots of extra spending. On both of our trips to Mendenhall, we did it ourself - once with a rental car, once with the shuttle. The walk is wonderful and costs almost nothing.

As to the Diamond thing and shopping - it is all beyond my comprehension.

Great review. More people should read it.

As you pointed out, you can have an outstanding trip with a little planning, and it does not require lots of extra spending. On both of our trips to Mendenhall, we did it ourself - once with a rental car, once with the shuttle. The walk is wonderful and costs almost nothing.

As to the Diamond thing and shopping - it is all beyond my comprehension.

Mine too, I remember when we would go to port talks, and we would get good information about the ports. Yes, we would get the speal about where to shop but we also got all kinds of discount coupons and some neat give aways or drawings for stuff. That was years ago, things have changed.

Nita

We were on the same cruise and we could have written your review also. (I was the one with the NY Giants cap on all the time). Now if we would have run into you, we could have warned you about Ian and those plastic rings.

When we crusie our main objective is to get onto the ship the cheapest way possible. I am retired and on a fixed income so, like you, suites are out, and inside cabins are great. This was our second cruise to Alaska, so we knew what to expect in all ports. We also rented a car in

Skagway, drove to emerald Lake (did you see the bear that was sitting in the middle of the road for about 10 minutes, by the waterfall??)

Just a great cruise with great weather. On talking to some of the staff,seems the week before us, they ahd about an hours worth of sunshine the entire cruise. We did better, especially in Glacier Bay) Just spectacular.

Cheers

Len

Hey Len,

I'm glad you had a great time! While at the Ian lecture/sales pitch, he threw a ring into the audience and it bounced off a lady sitting 2 seats away from me and landed on my seat. I picked it up - I was curious why so many adults were acting like crazy people. When I saw that it was just a piece of plastic (with a smiley face) I thought it was time to leave. But before I left, the lady sitting 2 seats away proclaimed to someone on her other side "Ian threw it to me and she took it." (In a snotty, 4 year old kind of way.) I considered throwing it to her as I left, but I don't believe in rewarding children for bad behavior.:rolleyes:

And I missed the bear! Bummer! But we did have sushi in Carkross - which reminded me of the set of Northern Exposure.

Archived