Silversea vs. Regent

anotherbogie

<style>@font-face { font-family: "Cambria"; }p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal { margin: 0in 0in 0.0001pt; font-size: 12pt; font-family: "Times New Roman"; }div.Section1 { page: Section1; }</style> My wife and I are considering our 1st luxury cruise this February. We are considering the Silversea Silver Cloud 7 days from Barbados vs. the Regent Navigator of the Sea from Ft. Lauderdale both in February of 2011. With the promotions, Silversea is quite a bit less expensive. Any input will be valued.

AnotherBogie

2009 - Celebrity – Summit- Southern Caribbean

2002 - Princess - Sun - Alaska

2001 - Norwegian – Majesty - Bermuda

2000 - Royal Olympic - Olympic Voyager - Mediterranean

1999 - Royal Caribbean - Majesty of the Sea - Eastern Caribbean

1998 - Holland America - Veendam - Western Caribbean

1994 - Star Clipper - Star Clipper - Southern Caribbean

We have done 9 Regent cruises and will be doing our first Silversea cruise in November. We have done a lot of research on Silversea and find many similiarities between the two cruise lines.

A major difference between the Navigator and the Cloud is the size. The Cloud holds 296 passengers while the Navigator holds 490. The Cloud could be more intimate, but would have less entertainment and activities.

One reason that Silversea is less money than Regent is because Regent includes most excursions. This can save at least a couple hundred dollars a day. Also, Silversea's premium dining venue costs extra while Regent's premium steak house and French restaurants are included.

They are both excellent cruise lines -- it is reallly just a matter of preference. Hope that you have a good TA (travel agent) that specializes in cruising -- especially luxury cruising. They could discuss the differences with you and see which cruise better suits your lifestyle.

The cabins on Regent, even in their lower categories, are much, much better than Silversea---a lot larger with walk in closets and better amenities. Of the two, I would take Regent every time. While food is subjective, I've felt that the food on Silversea is better than Regent, but Regent's alternate restaurants are fantastic.

I'm decided on Regent and am now down to Class D or Class C. The only big difference is the Butler in Class C. Opinions?

On the Navigator, I actually prefer Class D to Class C because you can get a midship suite which is the best place to be on the Navigator. And, yes, the only difference, besides location between "D" and "C" is the Butler. IMO, your Stewardess can do just about anything that the Butler can do. Hope you have a great cruise.:)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived