shuttles to San Pedro??

39august

We were at the Marina Hotel pre cruise on 1/21, had reserved a van ride to the hotel through prime time shuttle -- and they never showed up!! After we landed, we telephoned them per our instructions on our confirmation. They said they'd be there in about 15 minutes. After more than half an hour, we telephoned again --- they acted as if they had never heard of us and said it would be another half hour!! So we cancelled and jumped into another shared van, and headed right away to our hotel. There were plenty of shared vans and taxis lined up, but strangely, none were from prime time. And, although we got a cancellation number when we cancelled, the charge hasn't been removed from our bill (I've been checking online for the latest info --- it was only $32, but I'm determined not to pay .) If I fly into Long Beach again, I wouldn't bother with a reservation, even in the evening--

HI, I live just a 10 minute drive from LB airport, and you should be able to get a shuttle (Super Shuttle) or a taxi at the airport, the airport is fairly busy till about 10 pm then it pretty much shuts down for the evening. I have used Super Shuttle myself from my home to get to and from the LAX airport and have not had any problems with them.

Cori

Hi, cynbar.Thanks for your info on the Marina hotel on another post. Now, how about transportation from the pier back the Long Beach airport? Are there plenty of shuttle vans available upon return, or do you think I should book a reservation? ( Not on Primetime, I guess! )

We had no problem at all getting a taxi back to the Long Beach airport, they were lined up near where we exited the pier. The prices are posted on a board at the taxi stand and seem to be pre-set --- we paid $32 for the two of us, plus tip, for each trip. Since they seem to be the same for a taxi or a shuttle van, I'd look for a taxi first --- although we did enjoy seeing a little of Long Beach on our way over to the hotel while other passengers were dropped off.

I think Prime Time Shuttle was the company that was denied entrance to the airport recently. I remember hearing it on the radio, their insurance was insufficient and they were suspended. I'm hoping they get it worked out, they were one of the major shuttle services at LAX and other So Cal airports. Perhaps that is why your shuttle did not show up.

Please excuse me if I've gotten this info wrong. It does not state anything about this on their site.

It's fairly easy to get a shuttle from the airport to the port, I would make a reservation for the ride back to the airport. You have to call to let them know when you are ready.

I sure hope Primetime gets their act together. I recently took a roundtrip with them and I'm sad to say that it was an unpleasant experience. First of all, I reserved my trip online and was double charged. It has been over a month and they still haven't credited my credit card. Second, the drivers were rude and have bad driving skills. On the drive from San Pedro to LAX our driver used his knees to steer while he was reading something that he had in his hand. This same driver also rough handled our luggage and broke a tequila bottle that I had bought on our cruise. He heard the bottle break when he threw the luggage on the ground and simply said "you'll have to take up this matter with our main office in order to get reimbursed". I'm not suprised that this company is now having issurance problems.

We had reservations with PrimeTime from LAX to San Pedro on Jan 29, returning Feb 5th and they were a no show both ways. We quickly and easily found another shuttle both at the airport and the pier with no problem. Our driver on the way back told us PrimeTime had been kicked out of LAX due to insurance problems. The first time I called to see where they were, from the courtesy phone by the baggage claim, I was told "our van broke down" - like they only had one! I called when we got off the ship, and they didn't tell me they weren't running, just to go see the coordinator where the vans come to the pier. He told me they weren't running and got me another ven. But I was annoyed to have to call PrimeTime back again to get a cancellation confirmation number. They could have told me the first time I called!. Anyway, I certainly wouldn't use them at this point.

We're also unhappy with Primetime and will not use them again. They lost our reservation, charged us extra for our carry-on bags, gave one of our bags to a group of six who got out before we did and were going on a different cruise altogether. YIKES! The driver packed 11 people into the van and was even called down over his radio by the supervisors for doing so. Plus the driver berated us for having so much luggage. We were well within American Airlines luggage and weight requirements. We really didn't appreciate the hassle at all.

Guess their poor service has paid off for them!

• 1 year later...

Rayz, public transportation in LA is notoriously slow and unreliable. Anyone who has access to a car avoids it whenever possible. I can't image trying to take luggage and trying to be sure that I get to San Pedro from downtown on a city bus on time to catch a cruise...even an express. http://www.supershuttle.com is not very expensive, is reliable, and they will take care of the luggage.

Once, if you are arriving on a weekday or Saturday you may try Enterprise in San Pedro. They are closed on Sunday. They are quite near the cruise ship terminal. All other rental agencies are in Long Beach, and most of them are not open on Sunday either. Otherwise, take SuperShuttle to the Long Beach airport, check your luggage and rent your van there. It is only 7 miles.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived