Will Mexico hurt the cruise industry?

Kstofflet

Just curious as we are planning our vacations for 2011 and tend to take 3 cruises a year. Will the Mexican violence hurt the cruise industry with all the negative US press as of late? Alcapulco has definitely had it's share over the past weekend in the news with the death toll at 31 in just four days with 14 decapitated... Not really a cruise stop I now want to visit... Before you say my city or your US city has violence... well maybe? yet, I'm guessing less than 10 in a year "here"... not over a weekend and what seems to be every weekend. Just curious if this will sway folks to different vacation options away from MX

A cruise ship passenger got shot in the crossfire in St Thomas sometime last year and there has been no mention of stopping cruises to St Thomas.

Carnival has already pulled the Spirit from Acapulco, I am sure because of the negativity surrounding the port. The only ships that are stopping there now are ones going through the canal.

I own a vacation home in Cabo San Lucas. That city is safer than most US cities. The problems in Mexico are at the border towns. I wish the media would do a better job of reporting exactly what is going on instead of tarnishing the entire country. The Mexican people are some of the warmest people I have ever met, yet they suffer from inaccurate perceptions.

Carnival is no longer going to Acapulco. The other Mexican ports have not had bad publicity because of violence. There is no reason not to go to Mexico. Most Americans have a very jaded view of Mexicans. They are, for the most part, very nice, decent people! Have to agree with you! We have always enjoyed our visits to Mexico. Wish more Americans would look passed the bad press!!!

Just curious as we are planning our vacations for 2011 and tend to take 3 cruises a year. Will the Mexican violence hurt the cruise industry with all the negative US press as of late? Alcapulco has definitely had it's share over the past weekend in the news with the death toll at 31 in just four days with 14 decapitated... Not really a cruise stop I now want to visit... Before you say my city or your US city has violence... well maybe? yet, I'm guessing less than 10 in a year "here"... not over a weekend and what seems to be every weekend. Just curious if this will sway folks to different vacation options away from MX

Right now I will not look at a ship that goes to Mexico..Scares me too much..

Right now I will not look at a ship that goes to Mexico..Scares me too much..

Please read the two post before yours and reconsider. You are missing out on a fantastic culture.

There are no problems in any of the ports the ships visit now that Acapulco has been removed from the itineraries.

I really think all of the negative press will hurt these ports and possibly the western itineraries. We all saw how the "perceived" swine flu impacted these areas. It went as fast as it came. Not sure the violence will go that fast. I LOVE LOVE LOVE Cozumel... We can only hope the violence does not find its way to Cancun. I know Meridia has had their share of violence in the past.

My wife and I have taken six cruises to Mexico and enjoyed them all:D. The last was this past November and we could not believe how much more it cost than any of the other cruises. $28 for a fairly simple lunch that cost less than half that a year earlier. As others say, I'm not overly worried about crime and violence but I do expect a great bargain...$4 for a Corona!? REALY:eek:

I have been to Cozumel a few times, as recent as this past summer. This, in my opinion is one of the safer ports to visit. Compare it to Jamaica and Antigua.

Exactly. And Baja California has no drug cartel activity at all.

I have been to Cozumel a few times, as recent as this past summer. This, in my opinion is one of the safer ports to visit. Compare it to Jamaica and Antigua.

I agree- During our cruise, Cozumel felt safer than Jamaica for sure ... and Miami for that matter ;), but the press spot light is in MX and I feel they will become a victim of the negativity from the rest of the Country.

A cruise ship passenger got shot in the crossfire in St Thomas sometime last year and there has been no mention of stopping cruises to St Thomas.

Carnival has already pulled the Spirit from Acapulco, I am sure because of the negativity surrounding the port. The only ships that are stopping there now are ones going through the canal.

I own a vacation home in Cabo San Lucas. That city is safer than most US cities. The problems in Mexico are at the border towns. I wish the media would do a better job of reporting exactly what is going on instead of tarnishing the entire country. The Mexican people are some of the warmest people I have ever met, yet they suffer from inaccurate perceptions.

I completely agree with you!!

The effects are already showing. RCCL's last sailing from California is this month. NCL, Princess, Carnival and Holland have all changed the ports they visit on the west coast of Mexico. Alcapulco is one of the few tourist towns having problems. I love going to Mexico, but I will not go to the boarder towns anytime soon.

My wife and I have taken six cruises to Mexico and enjoyed them all:D. The last was this past November and we could not believe how much more it cost than any of the other cruises. $28 for a fairly simple lunch that cost less than half that a year earlier. As others say, I'm not overly worried about crime and violence but I do expect a great bargain...$4 for a Corona!? REALY:eek:

You must have been in Cabo!

Wrong! Northern Baja does in Tijuana and Rosarito. Tijuana is at the border with San Diego and Rosarito is about 30 minutes south of TJ.

O.K. you got me there. Once you get away from the border cities and south of Rosarito Beach, the drug cartel activity is non-existant.

And I can tell you where to get two beers and two shot of tequila in Cabo for $5!:)

O.K. you got me there. Once you get away from the border cities and south of Rosarito Beach, the drug cartel activity is non-existant.

And I can tell you where to get two beers and two shot of tequila in Cabo for $5!:)

where?:rolleyes::D;)

I've read they have beer cheaper than $4.

The effects are already showing. RCCL's last sailing from California is this month. NCL, Princess, Carnival and Holland have all changed the ports they visit on the west coast of Mexico. Alcapulco is one of the few tourist towns having problems. I love going to Mexico, but I will not go to the boarder towns anytime soon.

It's a combination of that and the high unemployment rate in CA.......

Archived