Definitive Guide to Luggage Storage in New York City

GTJ

A recurring question here is where to store luggage for the day before or following a New York cruise. Here, hopefully, is a complete list of the various transportation facilities in New York City and businesses that are otherwise engaged in luggage storage. Every location requires patrons to show identification with a photograph.

List additions and corrections welcome.

Pennsylvania Station

Eighth Avenue, between 31st and 33rd Streets

Departures Level, southwest corner of station

Luggage storage operated by Amtrak

5:15 a.m. to 9:45 p.m.

$4.50 per piece per day

Must have ticket on Amtrak or New Jersey Transit (not Long Island Rail Road)

Port Authority Bus Terminal

625 Eighth Avenue (between 41st and 42nd Streets)

Subway Concourse Level, New Building, Baggage/Package Express counter

Luggage storage operated by Greyhound Lines

7:00 a.m. to 12:01 midnight

+1 (212) 971-6331

$8.00 per piece per day

Must have ticket on any bus line serving Port Authority Bus Terminal

Schwartz Travel Services

355 West 36th Street (between 8th and 9th Avenues)

8:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m.

+1 (212) 290-2626

$7.00 to $10.00 per piece per day (depends on size)

Schwartz Travel Services

34 West 46th Street (between 5th and 6th Avenues)

+1 (212) 290-2626

$7.00 to $10.00 per piece per day (depends on size)

Luggage Storage NY

46 West 46th Street (between 5th and 6th Avenues)

+1 (347) 525-3490

$6.00 to $10.00 per piece per day (depends on size)

John F. Kennedy International Airport

Terminal 1, Lower Level

7:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m.

+1 (718) 751-2947

$4.00 to $16.00 per piece per day (depends on size)

Terminal 4, Lower Level

24 hours daily

+1 (718) 751-4020

$4.00 to $16.00 per piece per day (depends on size)

Terminal 8, Lower Level

6:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m.

+1 (718) 995-9292

$8.00 to $18.00 per piece per day (depends on size)

Newark Liberty International Airport

Terminal C, Lower Level

Luggage storage operated by NBS Storage and Delivery

7:00 a.m. to 1:00 a.m.

+1 (908) 933-0503

$10.00 to $16.00 per piece per day (depends on size)

Must have ticket on Continental Airlines

No luggage storage

Manhattan Cruise Terminal

Brooklyn Cruise Terminal

Cape Liberty Cruise Port

LaGuardia Airport

Grand Central Terminal

Additional notes

Most hotels offer luggage storage, albeit designed for their guests. Nonetheless, some travelers provide a suitable gratuity to the bell staff and store their luggage at the hotel, even when not a guest. A number of people have stated that there is luggage storage on the lower level of the Waldorf Astoria (301 Park Avenue, between 49th and 50th Streets) where luggage is taken without any inquiry as to guest status.

Some other travelers have noted that Macy's department store has a coat and parcel check in their "Cellar" on the lower level. Macy's is located in the block bounded by 34th Street, Broadway. 35th Street, and 7th Avenue. Store hours vary each day and season.

A recurring question here is where to store luggage for the day before or following a New York cruise. Here, hopefully, is a complete list of the various transportation facilities in New York City and businesses that are otherwise engaged in luggage storage. Every location requires patrons to show identification with a photograph.

List additions and corrections welcome.

Some other travelers have noted that Macy's department store has a coat and parcel check in their "Cellar" on the lower level. Macy's is located in the block bounded by 34th Street, Broadway. 35th Street, and 7th Avenue. Store hours vary each day and season.

I am pretty sure the coat check in Macy's has closed but I'll check as well

also at most hotels, if you tip the bell person a $20 they will happily keep your luggage for a day rules or no(I will be checking in later)...

Edited by smeyer418

One more addition:

New York Luggage Storage

270 West 36th Street (between 7th and 8th Avenues)

+1 (212) 643-1369

$3.00 to $9.00 per piece per day (depends on size) according to web site

$7.00 to $10.00 per piece per day (depends on size) according to advertising card (advertising cards include $5.00 discount coupon)

Edited by GTJ

I am pretty sure the coat check in Macy's has closed but I'll check as well

Since it is relatively convenient to do so, I may take a look as well. But in any event, Macy's continues to advertise the service on its website. See http://www.visitmacysnewyork.com/shopping.cfm.

Edited by GTJ

I am pretty sure the coat check in Macy's has closed but I'll check as well.

I was in midtown earlier today and checked in at Macy's. The coat check is still in place and doing much business. Looking into their storage room I saw mostly shopping bags, but I also saw a few large pieces of luggage on wheels. The coat check is on the lower level of Macy's, closest to the Broadway side of the building.

Today I was near the Waldorf-Astoria hotel and, indeed, their check room also remains in full operation. It is located on the lower level, between Lexington Avenue and the hotel's driveway, and adjacent to the window at which one pays for parking at the hotel. It is separate and distinct from the concierge or front desk. For those unfamiliar with the hotel's location, it is on the east side, in the block bounded by Park Avenue, 50 Street, 49 Street, and Lexington Avenue.

• 3 weeks later...

There are NO lockers in Penn Station. I asked twice there today and walked around two levels for about a half hour. There is a luggage room however.

There is a check room in Macys(its in the basement level). The entrance by 35th street and Broadway is right by it and has an elevator to the basement that takes you right to it. I spoke with the woman there and they will take luggage. No computers and no cameras...and I assume no valuables.

There's actually an additional option at Pennsylvania Station for some people. If one has a first class ticket (including sleeping car space) access is provided to Amtrak's Club Acela. The club room has a luggage storage area where bags may be stored. Do be forewarned, however, that unlike Amtrak's Metropolitan Lounge in Chicago, the Club Acela luggage storage is not attended. For that reason, items of value should not be kept there. But the ordinary access restriction to Club Acela should allow passengers with luggage containing clothing and the like without undue concern. The Club Acela lounge is located in the southwest corner of Pennsylvania Station, near the entrance at 31st Street and Eighth Avenue.

• 4 years later...
Can anyone confirm the current price/status of the locations on this list?

This thread is over 4 years old. What are you looking for exactly? Schwartz Travel is still in business, but you need to check their website for current locations and hours.

I'm just looking for a list of places close to the Manhattan Cruise terminal to store luggage for a couple hours

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

Here's a link to the Schwartz Travel website: http://www.schwartztravel.com/

Without knowing where you're planning to go after dropping off your luggage and where you'll be going to after you retrieve it, I can't say which of the two facilities is better for you, but the West 37th St. location is located on the ground floor and is a bit more convenient from that perspective.

Edited by njhorseman

Here's a link to the Schwartz Travel website: http://www.schwartztravel.com/

Without knowing where you're planning to go after dropping off your luggage and where you'll be going to after you retrieve it, I can't say which of the two facilities is better for you, but the West 37th St. location is located on the ground floor and is a bit more convenient from that perspective.

I'm thinking of taking a taxi from the port to a central luggage storage dropping off bags and doing a 1-2 hour walking loop hitting Times Square , rockafeller, 5th ave, and time permitting empire st building return to luggage and then cab to nwr. Any tips? Thanks!

I'm thinking of taking a taxi from the port to a central luggage storage dropping off bags and doing a 1-2 hour walking loop hitting Times Square , rockafeller, 5th ave, and time permitting empire st building return to luggage and then cab to nwr. Any tips? Thanks!

The 34 West 46th St. location would be closer to Times Square, Rockefeller Center and 5th Ave. The Empire State Building might be out of range for that walk.

Are you talking about a cab to Newark Airport? Do you understand the pricing? Do you know that the airport bus is $16 and leaves just a few blocks from the Schwartz on W 36th St?

I saw online a taxi to newark is approximately 75 flat fare

I found this for the taxi rules to Newark. It looks metered to me plus surcharges. Perhaps the New Yorkers can comment on how this really works.

To Newark Airport:

Onscreen rate is ‘Rate #03 – Newark Airport.’

This is a metered fare. See Metered Fare information above.

There is a $17.50 Newark Surcharge.

Passenger is responsible for paying all roundtrip tolls.

There is a 30-cent Improvement Surcharge.

Please tip your driver for safety and good service.

Is it easy to take the bus with luggage? We'll have 4 adults , a toddler 4 peices of luggage and a stroller

The airport bus has undercarriage luggage storage. Your toddler is free. http://www.coachusa.com/olympia/ss.details.asp?action=Lookup&c1=New+York&s1=NY&c2=Newark+Liberty+Airport&s2=NJ&resultId=820&order=&dayFilter=&scheduleChoice=&sitePageName=%2Findex%2Easp&cbid=285855776878

5 people plus luggage will not fit into one cab - maybe not even a Caravan sized cab if you can find one. You really need to look at car services for your group. Exactly how much luggage will you have plus carryons.

Edited by 138east

I saw online a taxi to newark is approximately 75 flat fare

I found this for the taxi rules to Newark. It looks metered to me plus surcharges. Perhaps the New Yorkers can comment on how this really works.

To Newark Airport:

Onscreen rate is ‘Rate #03 – Newark Airport.’

This is a metered fare. See Metered Fare information above.

There is a $17.50 Newark Surcharge.

Passenger is responsible for paying all roundtrip tolls.

There is a 30-cent Improvement Surcharge.

Please tip your driver for safety and good service.

Taxi to EWR from NY City is not a flat rate.

The above summary Carol (138east) has provided is correct. It's a metered fare plus $17.50 surcharge, roundtrip tolls plus tip.

In any event, you're going to have difficulty finding a taxi to take all your passengers and luggage. I strongly recommend a mini van booked with a car service such as Carmel Limo http://www.carmellimo.com or Dial 7 http://www.dial7.com.

I'd estimate a total cost for a minivan from one of the car services to be in the neighborhood of $100 for base fare, tolls and tip.

Edited by njhorseman

Thanks so much for sending the links for the car service! It seems that will be much easier and less expensive than a cab. Do you know if we could book the car for a couple hours so they could pick us up from the port drop us off somewhere central, we do our walk and they pick us up at a prearranged place /time and take us to the airport?

Thanks so much for sending the links for the car service! It seems that will be much easier and less expensive than a cab. Do you know if we could book the car for a couple hours so they could pick us up from the port drop us off somewhere central, we do our walk and they pick us up at a prearranged place /time and take us to the airport?

You can book them for as many hours as you want, but it's going to be expensive. For example, per this page on their website Carmel Limo charges $50 per hour for a minivan https://www.carmellimo.com/WebApp/Rates.jsp , click on NYC Hourly, and you'll have to add tip...typically 20% of the fare...and tolls...about $20 to go from Manhattan to EWR...onto that. Bottom line is for a 4 hour booking you'll pay about $260.

Edited by njhorseman