Scrapbooking - How many pictures do you take?

beaming90

We just got back from our first cruise and had 6 disposable cameras (27 pictures each) that I took to Walmart and get back tomorrow night. How many pictures do most of you take on a cruise? This was only a 4 day cruise! Can't imagine if I did a 7 day cruise or longer....!:rolleyes:

I am an avid scrapbooker & love taking photos. I took several hundred on our 7 day in June. I am taking a camera class for my Digital Rebel before our 15 day Hawaii cruise for the holidays. Bringing my laptop solely for the purpose of burning cd's each night to clear my flash disks! :D

• 2 weeks later...

We took a 15 day cruise to Hawaii back in Dec. I took 1377 photos. Out of those, I brought home 1115 (after deleting back pics from the digital camera every night). After getting the pics on the computer and working through them, I ended up keeping 710. I printed about 50 for my scrap book, and the rest are either on the computer, on my archive CD's, or on the Internet (at my Yahoo page listed in my signature, under "Infinity", 2 albums). I don't take a laptop or anything like that, just enough memory cards. I take pics at 1600x1200 resolution in "fine" mode. It's easier to have enough cards than taking laptops.

Ken

On our recent Australia New Zealand cruise plus cruise tour and 2 days ahead and after, we took 14 rolls. No digital camera, left it at home. We had a digital video and have 3 hours of that and can print (if we wish) any stills from that.

We had the 14 rolls developed immediately and most (not all) are in my scrapbook which is very fat, especially with the pocket pages at the end with memorabelia. It is a good way to relive the 24 days we spent away from our cold climate into a lovely warm place.

Over the years we have been on some really nice vacations to the National Parks of the West, from Southern California to Northern Montana. During those trips, I've taken as many as 22-25 36 shot rolls of 35mm. I would come home, spend a fortune developing all of then, and then put them all in an album, along with the official National Park brochures and other such things. Those albums started taking up a lot of room after a period of time. DW got me a nice Nikon digital, so I've broken myself from having those huge photo albums. These days, I just print a sampling of maybe 25-50 of the best pictures for a scapbook, and the rest stay on a CD and in the computer. This sure helps to save lots of room. If my friends want to see my pics, I just burn a CD for them. I was skidish about the digital camera at first (I guess I was being old fashion, and a purist), but I wouldn't go back to film. What I want now, is a Nikon digital SLR camera so I can use all the lenses and attachments I had for my 35mm.

Ken

I to am a BIG photo taker and scrapbooker. On our last cruise I took 30 rolls with my SLR and over 1300 with my digital camera. My only mistake was on the cruise my SLR got heavy so I would take my digital camera. Some of the photos from formal night we took ourselves did not come out as good as they would of had I used my SLR. I will never dump my SLR unless I was to get the Nikon digital SLR. We always take both. I was so mad at my self for not taking formal photos with my SLR. Remember unless you have a digital SLR, digital cameras do not do as good as the true SLRs. I have the magazine PC Photo and they have had several articles on them. They say over all they do just as good but the digital cameras do not know how to adjust light (like inside the ship) like SLRs do. Boy did I learn that. I do have a GREAT digtal camera (and it wasn't cheap). Over all it did a GRAET job, just not the best when we were in side the ship on the stairs. I think it had a hard time with all the lights along the stair case. My friend shot the same shots with her SLR and they came out GREAT!!!! So for our next cruise (in Sept) I will carry the SLR and the hubby will carry the digital. I don't care how heavy it is.

Also, remember when carring film they SHOULD NOT go through the X Ray machines more than 5 times. I do ask TSA to had check them at the air port I am leaving from. They don't like hand checking 40 rolls, but I don't care. Most of the ports would not hand check them. SO I only take enough for that port and if I have any extras I write on the bottom of the film how many times it has been through. The cruise ships would not hand check them either.

I have not yet gone on my first cruise, we are just planning now, but I can only imagine how many we will take. I take sometimes a hundred or more for a birthday, or hundreds over a few day period. I do digital though, so I upload them, go through them, and then print maybe thirty or so. For the cruise I bet we will print at least 100.

the advantage of digital is you only print the ones that are super, you delete the bad, save the good on cd/computer to view in slideshows etc.

Wendy, there are scrapbooking cruises. I hope to go on one some day but I don't know that my hubby wants to go.

I'm a scrapbook consultant so I think he gets sick of the scrapbooking in this house! LOL

Erica

• 3 weeks later...

I usually pack 10 rolls of film {24 exposures} and use about 8 rolls. I then take about 50-60 0f the best photos and put them in a scrap book. The rest go into a regular photoalbum. I love taking pictures :D and at every family event people know without a doubt, I will have a camera.:D I have loved taking pictures since I was 8 or 9 years old and that is going back a long time. LOL ;) Beside traveling this is the most fun I have at doing something. ;)

itstheeasterbeaglecharliebrown_240_001.jpg

I always take way too many pictures, at least they are mostly digital. I start with pictures of the cruise documents, and plane tickets and move on to the packing and airport photos. I throw on a few pictures of the contents of my suitcase before I close it...just in case the airport looses it. The cameras are always with me 24/7 on the cruise. I'm obsessed!!!!!!!

• 2 months later...

I always take tons of pictures and a cruise is no exception! My problem is that I take lots of pictures and develop them just take forever getting them into the book. I moved away from my scrapbooking friends 3 years ago and haven't done a page since. I need to join the club here in my area to get back into it. I miss seeing my creative ideas come to life in my pages.

• 2 weeks later...
On our recent Australia New Zealand cruise plus cruise tour and 2 days ahead and after, we took 14 rolls. No digital camera, left it at home. We had a digital video and have 3 hours of that and can print (if we wish) any stills from that.

We had the 14 rolls developed immediately and most (not all) are in my scrapbook which is very fat, especially with the pocket pages at the end with memorabelia. It is a good way to relive the 24 days we spent away from our cold climate into a lovely warm place.

Hi,

I'm in the process of researching for DVD digital camcorder. I'm skeptical because I don't want to get rid of my digital camera even though the DVD digital camcorder will give me the option of taking stills shots. I'm looking at the Sony DCR DVR403or 653. What kind of digital camcorder to you have? Do you have more than one battery in order to have 3 hours of recording time?

I still haven't scrapbooked any of my pictures yet, I put the good ones in a photo album...But that isn't the same at all. Now we are going to try to do another cruise (though not till 2007) so I have to get the old ones done first! Where in Kansas are you Kansas Scrapper? I'm in KCK.

I took 20 rolls on our Mariner cruise and used nearly all of them except the blurry ones taken at the front of the ship due to ship movement. I shoot 800 speed for low light levels onboard the ship and higher definition. Tried Fuji for the first time and was awestruck at the color quality of the final photos.

One tip for those rolls of film being hand checked--keep the rolls of film OUT of their cases for hand checking. I carry two freezer baggies in my carryon luggage--one for the cases and caps and the other for the film. I simply hand the baggie with the film to the person at security and request hand inspection. They are much more amenable to it if all they have to do is look at the film that way than if they have to take it out of the cases. Then, once I get to the gate I transfer all of the film back to the cases.

The extra baggie is also used during the cruise. As I use a roll of film it is transferred from the unused baggie to the other baggie that is marked "Exposed film". This makes it easy to identify which rolls are used and which ones aren't.

Theresa

Hello Suziekmkr, I too purchased a CanonDigitalRebel. I think that I will love this camera! not sure of all how it works as of "Yet" I would like to take some classes at a camera shop before our next cruise in a few months, but I am limited as to what days I can do that with the way that I work, hope that it will work out tho. I am not sure how many flash cards to take. Don't want to lug a laptop with us. I still need to get an extra battery and a flash, working on that the camera cost so much ! I bought the camera one month then the next month they came out with the Rebelxt wouldn't ya know it. Oh well still have a great digital SLR that I will be able to use for years to come.

• 2 weeks later...

I am a photo fanatic. I have no idea how many I'll take on our upcoming 14 night cruise. I took approximately 300 film photos, and about 150 digital on our first cruise. Our second cruise they were all digital from my Digital Rebel. This upcoming cruise I'm taking the Digital Rebel & also a 4.1 MP Sony Cybershot I bought so I would something smaller to carry on deck in my pocket, also I wouldn't be as scared to let someone us it to take a shot of my BF and I. I bought the Digital Rebel when it still cost $999 so I'm a little hesitant to let just anyone use it ;)

Archived