Cruise oversubscribed?

We are due to go on IOS on monday and a few on the roll call got calls today asking if they would like to reschedule as cruise was oversubscribed.

We then recieved emails saying departure delayed due to " number of guests experienced a gastrointestinal type illness" and a deep clean to be done and asking if anyone wanted to rescedule due to this and if they ahd any medical problems.

I cannot contact TA until tomorrow but can anyone tell me what happens if noone take up the " reschedule" offer and everyone gets to the ship and not enough cabins for everyone :eek: We booked our cruise in january 2010.

I believe the passengers who were called and asked to change date booked gauranteed cabins , not sure if that makes a difference as they had already recieved their cabin numbers.

We are due to go on IOS on monday and a few on the roll call got calls today asking if they would like to reschedule as cruise was oversubscribed.

We then recieved emails saying departure delayed due to " number of guests experienced a gastrointestinal type illness" and a deep clean to be done and asking if anyone wanted to rescedule due to this and if they ahd any medical problems.

I cannot contact TA until tomorrow but can anyone tell me what happens if noone take up the " reschedule" offer and everyone gets to the ship and not enough cabins for everyone :eek: We booked our cruise in january 2010.

I believe the passengers who were called and asked to change date booked gauranteed cabins , not sure if that makes a difference as they had already recieved their cabin numbers.

I have heard of such overbooking happening on a limited basis with Princess but never with Royal Caribbean. I imagine that if they have truly overbooked the ship, they will continue to raise their offer to passengers until a sufficient number accept and reschedule. As a last resort, I suppose they could "bump" some passengers but am not sure what criteria they would use to determine who to bump, though anyone who has not yet received a cabin number would seem to be the prime candidates. It seems more likely that enough will find the incentives to reschedule the cruise sufficiently advantageous that they will take the cruiseline upon their offer.:)

It seems more likely that enough will find the incentives to reschedule the cruise sufficiently advantageous that they will take the cruiseline upon their offer.:)

hopefully some will take them up on offer, I really do not fancy getting to ship after a flight to be told I cannot get onbaord

I have never heard of someone being involuntarily bumped from a cruise. The cruise line would keeping upping the ante (of perks/incentives) until a sufficient number of people voluntarily change booking dates. The chances of being involuntarily bumped are so minuscule that it is not worth spending anytime worrying.

The chances of being involuntarily bumped are so minuscule that it is not worth spending anytime worrying.

your right , not going to worry. I was caught in volcano problems last year when going on cruise and it turned out ok so this will to lol

hopefully some will take them up on offer, I really do not fancy getting to ship after a flight to be told I cannot get onbaord

I seriously doubt that would happen. They would have to let you know well before you flew to the port and would have to compensate you rather generously to make up for their error. It is much more likely that enough people would take them up on their offers to eliminate the problem. If you are scheduled to sail in less than a week and you or your TA have not heard directly from RCI to the contrary, I think you are safe to assume that you will be among those sailing next week. If you do hear from them at this late date I would think that they would have to make you a very attractive offer to convince you to give up your booking.However, if you do have any flexibility in your vacation schedule and they do make you an offer, it might be worth your while to consider it.:)

I have never heard of someone being involuntarily bumped from a cruise. The cruise line would keeping upping the ante (of perks/incentives) until a sufficient number of people voluntarily change booking dates. The chances of being involuntarily bumped are so minuscule that it is not worth spending anytime worrying.

My thought exactly. Odds are Royal is calling locals who will not have non-refundable air reservations. If they can guess who has flexible schedules, like some retired folks, even better. Then Royal can simply offer a much better cabin and/or OBC if they are willing to switch dates. somebody will be able to take them up on the offer.

We cruised with people on Princess who had taken the "bump" offer. They were given an upgrade from an inside cabin to a minisuite, tons of OBC and lots of perks (free speciality restaurant meal and a spa treatement) I have a feeling RCI would be the same way and keep upping the offer until they get enough people to take them up on it.

We cruised with people on Princess who had taken the "bump" offer. They were given an upgrade from an inside cabin to a minisuite, tons of OBC and lots of perks (free speciality restaurant meal and a spa treatement) I have a feeling RCI would be the same way and keep upping the offer until they get enough people to take them up on it.

with the right offer, it wouldn't take long. In fact if they (anonymously or otherwise) posted the extension on the roll call, people would probably call them.

I heard about this yesterday.........really strange is first they say it is overbooked....THEN they say gastro illness..........sounds like a ploy to me to scare people into giving up their cabins.......:rolleyes:

I heard about this yesterday.........really strange is first they say it is overbooked....THEN they say gastro illness..........sounds like a ploy to me to scare people into giving up their cabins.......:rolleyes:

Please...RCI....bump me off a cruise...let me suffer through having you give me my money back plus a voucher for a free "next cruise" ....that will be very nice...thank you! Ohhh...you want me to accept a suite for my troubles??? OUch!! ;) :D

Hey Kathy!! :)

Had a wonderful time on the Radiance with Bob and Margie....of whom I am sure informed you of all of our great adventures in the Diamond event lounge for excellant happy hour times!

Please...RCI....bump me off a cruise...let me suffer through having you give me my money back plus a voucher for a free "next cruise" ....that will be very nice...thank you! Ohhh...you want me to accept a suite for my troubles??? OUch!! ;) :D

Hey Kathy!! :)

Had a wonderful time on the Radiance with Bob and Margie....of whom I am sure informed you of all of our great adventures in the Diamond event lounge for excellant happy hour times!

I haven't heard any stories yet,but Im meeting Margie(not sure if Bob is coming) tomorrow for lunch....she picked up a ship model for me(for someone else)

yes thats what we though as well, the two people I spoke to had calls in afternoon then we recieved the emails about 5.30.

I have just been on another cruise forum where someone on the current Independence cruise has reported that the windjammer is closed for the remaining duration of the cruise due to the norovirus so it appears that the emails weren't a rouse to get people to reschedule. I, for one, thought that as we received our emails shortly after a phone call from our ta regarding rescheduling He also reported how great the crew and staff are being and working really hard to keep everything clean.

there are a few people on the independace of the seas at the moment who are have been taken ill.( my friends parents are on her now and have been apparently watching through the windows people being taken off in ambulaces) so not really sure how bad it is.

I have just been on another cruise forum where someone on the current Independence cruise has reported that the windjammer is closed for the remaining duration of the cruise due to the norovirus so it appears that the emails weren't a rouse to get people to reschedule. I, for one, thought that as we received our emails shortly after a phone call from our ta regarding rescheduling He also reported how great the crew and staff are being and working really hard to keep everything clean.

there are a few people on the independace of the seas at the moment who are have been taken ill.( my friends parents are on her now and have been apparently watching through the windows people being taken off in ambulaces) so not really sure how bad it is.

Well,I guess its just an unlucky coincidence it is not only overbooked,but noro hit!:eek:

I haven't heard any stories yet,but Im meeting Margie(not sure if Bob is coming) tomorrow for lunch....she picked up a ship model for me(for someone else)

Yup, I saw her with it when they sat with us in the departure lounge on Saturday. :)

Say "hello" for me! :D

My girlfriend and I booked a 12 night southern Carib. They called us a few weeks before the cruise and asked if we were willing to be bumped to Easter week. Luckily we had our flight with RCI so the change in flight was included. So we agreed. They gave us $700 each for accepting the switch. I loved the extra money, but my girlfriend was unhappy :(. It turns out from Holy Thursday to Easter Monday most of the stores in the Carib. Islands at which we stopped were closed. She wanted to go shopping.

Diana

I have heard of such overbooking happening on a limited basis with Princess but never with Royal Caribbean.

Bill I have heard of it happening once with RCCL. A few years ago a computer glitch caused a couple of sailings on Serenade out of San Juan to be massively oversold. I've never heard of it again though with RCCL. It is not uncommon though on Princess or HAL and typically they will keep calling people and upping their offer until they find enough people to move to a different cruise.

Bill I have heard of it happening once with RCCL. A few years ago a computer glitch caused a couple of sailings on Serenade out of San Juan to be massively oversold. I've never heard of it again though with RCCL. It is not uncommon though on Princess or HAL and typically they will keep calling people and upping their offer until they find enough people to move to a different cruise.

That has also been my impression,Wrona, and I wonder why that is so frequently the case with Princess and HAL and so rarely happens with RCI. Is RCI that much better in predicting the number of cancellations that they will have on each cruise?

Archived