Princess Brouchure Prices...a turn-off?

I love to get a copy of the latest Princess Cruises' "Premium Cruising out of Australia" book. While looking at the cruise prices, I thought what a "turn off" those fare prices would be to a person who had never cruised before. The cost, even with the "Princess Saver" reduction, is still a lot more than what we book our cruises for.

What are your thoughts on this? Would you have booked at those prices if you didn't know better?

I am looking at a NZ cruise in November 2012 and the 2011 price for a balcony is about $1600 cabin cheaper. So my advise is to either wait or book now then cancel and rebook 181 days out from your cruise. 100% refund if cancelled earlier than 180 days before cruise

The idea behind brochure prices is to make you feel good when you get a "bargain" at a lower rate. Think about the rack rate for hotel rooms that is only charged say during the Melbourne Cup or other major event. Other days consumers get a lower rate and are supposed to feel "special"

Go to Turkey and start at $5000 for a a rug that ends up being $2000. The dealer contrary to his claims is not in danger of missing a payment on his already paid for Mercedes, he is making a profit and you feel like a champ- until you get back to the ship and compare prices . . .

The idea behind brochure prices is to make you feel good when you get a "bargain" at a lower rate. Think about the rack rate for hotel rooms that is only charged say during the Melbourne Cup or other major event. Other days consumers get a lower rate and are supposed to feel "special"

Go to Turkey and start at $5000 for a a rug that ends up being $2000. The dealer contrary to his claims is not in danger of missing a payment on his already paid for Mercedes, he is making a profit and you feel like a champ- until you get back to the ship and compare prices . . .

Great answer!!!

Nobody actually pays the brochure fare and it is just printed to make the reduced fare look like you are getting a bargain .

It is deceptive marketing claiming "x" savings when no one actually pays, or would pay the printed brochure fare .

Cruise fares are rather like rental car rates, impossible to understand and as with the hire cars no one pays their printed rack rate .

If the cruise fare looks value then go for it, if it looks a rip-off then it probably is !!!

I can appreciate the marketing psychology involved and agree it's very deceptive, but to someone who has never cruise before , how would they know that these prices were grossly inflated?

Perhaps we all knew someone who cruised (and passed on the good oil)before we became addicted cruisers. I know that was the case for us.

I agree, it is deceptive and for a first time cruiser, would be confusing.

I for one would appreciate truth in advertising rather than this type of price structure. Oh and yes, I do like the dream world I live in :p

Got a card from Princess the other day, offering free Balcony upgrades to Captains Circle Members on a 14 day NZ cruise, not a bad deal. That would be on Sun Princess or Dawn Princess. $2100 pp twin share.

As I have said before to new cruisers, get the glossy brochures then go to work on your T/A whether the High Street or on line. Just don't pay brochure prices as Anna - Kinkacruiser said, they are pumped up.

Just to follow up on that tip, first time cruisers would be better off checking with the Princess (or other cruiseline's) website for current prices. Some TA's and online agencies can better that price.

Great offer Les. Will you take it?

Got a card from Princess the other day, offering free Balcony upgrades to Captains Circle Members on a 14 day NZ cruise, not a bad deal. That would be on Sun Princess or Dawn Princess. $2100 pp twin share.

As I have said before to new cruisers, get the glossy brochures then go to work on your T/A whether the High Street or on line. Just don't pay brochure prices as Anna - Kinkacruiser said, they are pumped up.

hi Les, i noticed on the Princess site on some cruises to NZ the oceanview cabins are the same price as a balcony

bob

hi Les, i noticed on the Princess site on some cruises to NZ the oceanview cabins are the same price as a balcony

bob

Hi Bob, yes, free balcony upgrades, good deal that. But we did the NZ Ports coming across on Regal Princess (now Pacific Dawn) from LA to Sydney in 2007. But when we get tired of flying to cruises, NZ cruise in and out of Sydney is a good option.

Just to follow up on that tip, first time cruisers would be better off checking with the Princess (or other cruiseline's) website for current prices. Some TA's and online agencies can better that price.

Great offer Les. Will you take it?

Hi Anna, no, done NZ on a ship - Regal Princess. Have you not observed my new signature?

I've noticed Princess have had to drop their prices on the NZ from Brisbane cruises. Earlier on they were much more expensive than P&O. The Nov price is very good, but not a suitable time for us. Hoping the 2012 prices will also go down.

I am pretty sure that if you had a person who was just looking at a brochure for the first time and had not been cruising before, then they would probably start by visiting travel agents, at least.

Travel agents often offer a little better than the brochure price, even the 'special price' so I am guessing a lot of people go away feeling they have had a good deal.

I know with our last cruise, I did all the online searching and drew up a table of prices from different agents, I even looked at the P&O site for prices, then marched into a couple of travel agents with the information (which they were not the least interested in, I might add-didn't even ask to see it, even when I mentioned it).

The agency prices were dearer than the online prices but not by a huge deal. The difference was just over $100 pp. Mind you, they didn't include OBC and we got $150 OBC per cabin with our online purchase.

I figured the money was better off in our pocket.:)

I've noticed Princess have had to drop their prices on the NZ from Brisbane cruises. Earlier on they were much more expensive than P&O. The Nov price is very good, but not a suitable time for us. Hoping the 2012 prices will also go down.

Sandi...the 2012 prices are already down and are good value

When I first booked our NYE cruise last Christmas the cost of our BC cabin was over $7k. I have since arranged 2 re-books and I have now a BA cabin for $5.5k...happy with that but I expect that there may be even furher reductions. The SunP sailings ex Bne are challenged by the similar itineries by the SeaP and DawnP ex Syd and MLB respectively. Despite having a better airport, Brisbane will not get the volume of Oseas visitors that go to Syd/Mlb so the SunP will have to rely mainly on the flood stricken folk from SE Qld

As I have said elsewhere ..thats ever so fine with me...go the maroons!:D

cheers

Kinkacruiser

No, we never pay the Super saver prices. We have saved over $900 each by shopping around compared with the super saver price on a 14 night cruise.

John

Archived