Sun Princess into big seas

Have friends onboard Sun Princess - currently approaching South Africa . Appears that over the next few days there will be some big seas coming from the west and deflecting northwards up the east coast - so SP will be going directly into this . They have changed their itineraray - still going to all ports but have changed order of ports.

You can see the seas here http://www.globalsurfers.com/wave-forecast-africa.cfm They don't call them the "Roaring Forties " for nothing!!

Barry

Anna

My personal "mantra" for cruising is:

Never cruise south of Brisbane in Winter. Never cruise north of Brisbane in Summer. Never cruise westwards across the Great Australian Bight.

You can see why here http://www.globalsurfers.com/wave-forecast-australia.cfm (it's now winter - so cruising north from Darwin would be very pleasant - warm and calm!!)

Barry

Have friends onboard Sun Princess - currently approaching South Africa . Appears that over the next few days there will be some big seas coming from the west and deflecting northwards up the east coast - so SP will be going directly into this . They have changed their itineraray - still going to all ports but have changed order of ports.

You can see the seas here http://www.globalsurfers.com/wave-forecast-africa.cfm They don't call them the "Roaring Forties " for nothing!!

Barry

That's a great website Barry. Makes me wonder what it will be like when we round the Horn on Grand Princess ...:eek: I think it only takes about 9 hours to get around.

Jilly:)

That's a great website Barry. Makes me wonder what it will be like when we round the Horn on Grand Princess ...:eek: I think it only takes about 9 hours to get around.

Luck of the draw Jilly...

When we went "Round the Horn", it was so calm, the Captain could have done it twice.:D

The "Horn" is actually an Island you sail around..:)

However I have heard from others that when some ships go around they actually having seat belts in the bed so you dont roll out:eek:

They are on much smaller ships than the cruise liners.:)

David

I have always wondered about "the Horn".

Don't the ships sail through the inner passage of that island you mentioned ?? - and not actually go "round the Horn"??

Barry

David

I have always wondered about "the Horn".

Don't the ships sail through the inner passage of that island you mentioned ?? - and not actually go "round the Horn"??

Barry

I'm pretty sure we went via the inner passage one way then out to sea rounding the Cape. It was pretty calm that day.

DavidI have always wondered about "the Horn".

Don't the ships sail through the inner passage of that island you mentioned ?? - and not actually go "round the Horn"??Barry

I'm pretty sure we went via the inner passage one way then out to sea rounding the Cape. It was pretty calm that day.

Its a fascinating part of the World. Difficult to comprehend, like many ports of call, until you have been there. I did a bit of research, and it all fell into place once we were there.

Basically , we came down the coast of Chile from Valparaiso, through the Straits of Magellan, which was the main shipping lane until the Panama Canal opened, then into the glacial area and through the Beagle Channel to Ushuaia. Then carried on down the Beagle , till we hit the Drake Passage at the bottom and swung a right to circle around the Horn.Then headed off to the Falklands.

If you go to google , you can bring up many maps of the area.

RCCL's Mariner of the Seas did the same itinerary as Grand Princess will do. When Mariner was rounding the 'Horn' it was so calm that they stopped the ship and the Captain went by tender over to a building or maybe it was a lighthouse and took a momento to them from the ship as it was the first time that ship had been in those waters. I presume he went to the island?

Thanks it was nice to know that people were thinking about us.

The swell was supposed to be more than 5 metres in waters getting to Capetown and the reason the Captain changed things. Everyone seemed ok with the change but it would have been good to have had the 2 days in Capetown. It did get a little rough but nowhere near as bad as it could have been if we had not sheltered at Port Elizabeth.

Hard to adjust to home after 46 nights on a ship. Had a great time and I will get to write up a report for all.

Yvonne did a great job of organising many of our tours on our roll call, and yes the internet wasn't always helpful but we did get to send emails to our kids.

Great trip and the stopovers were good. Would I do it again - probably if I could affford it.

Archived