Ash Cloud over Aus/NZ...any cruisers effected?

Seems the ash cloud from the Volcano in Chile is drifting over our way. Still very high, but many flights have been cancelled, both Trans Tasman and in Australia as a precaution.

How is it effecting you...if at all...?

Seems the ash cloud from the Volcano in Chile is drifting over our way. Still very high, but many flights have been cancelled, both Trans Tasman and in Australia as a precaution.

How is it effecting you...if at all...?

You beat me to it, I heard on the news this morning and saw photos that flights had been delayed. I bet anyone sailing around Chile at the moment probably managed to get some nice pics of the ash cloud

Just as Qantas were about to resume flying from Christchurch...

CHCH airport evacuated, runway damaged

June 13, 2011, 1:07 pmYahoo! New Zealand

Christchurch Airport has been evacuated after a series of aftershocks hit the city this afternoon.

Christchurch Airport has been evacuated after a series of aftershocks hit the city this afternoon.

One runway is believed to have been damaged, Newstalk ZB reported.

A Twitter comment on behalf of the airport at 2.57pm said "due to a significant aftershock, Christchurch Airport has been evacuated. Terminal building and runways are being checked."

Passengers are advised to contact their airlines before travelling to the airport.

After the first shock in at least four that have shaken the city since 12.29pm, the airport was still open and operating.

But a 6.0 tremor - the biggest today - hit about 2.20pm, centred 10km southeast of Christchurch at a depth of 9km.

Around 1pm a large quake measuring 5.5 and centred 10km southeast of Christchurch at a depth of 11km shook the city.

About half an hour later there was a tremor which measured 4.4 and centred in the same place and at the same depth.

The airport had already been affected by some cancelled flights this morning because of the ash cloud from Chile's volcanic eruption.

http://nz.totaltravel.yahoo.com/news-opinions/news/a/-/9630792/chch-airport-has-been-evacuated/

That was dreadful news about Christchurch being hit yet again. I hear some residents are thinking of moving home after these all too frequent tremors.My heart goes out to the people of this beautiful city.

Many all ready have....

try renting a house in Auckland at the moment:eek:

The market has gone crazy.

Many all ready have....

try renting a house in Auckland at the moment:eek:

The market has gone crazy.

Wow, it must be bad. When I was there in January, assisting son to move back home, there must have been over 100 people look at his place in Te Atatu Pen. I can only imagine now.....what a nightmare, and I bet the rents have gone up as well:eek:

Jen

Air NZ , who have been flying up until now , have today canceled flights from Christchurch, Dunedin and Queenstown due to the ash cloud moving and dropping lower.

Looks like bookings on the Inter Island Ferry from Picton to Wellington will be set to soar;)

Air NZ , who have been flying up until now , have today canceled flights from Christchurch, Dunedin and Queenstown due to the ash cloud moving and dropping lower.

Looks like bookings on the Inter Island Ferry from Picton to Wellington will be set to soar;)

Well, it's an ill wind............. :rolleyes:

I really feel sorry for all those affected by this. Just seems to be one trouble after the other these days. Guess the railways in the south of OZ will be busier too - lots of people have been worrying about making their cruises in time.

I'm just lurking the boards and noticed on a roll call that a family was due to fly up from Tassie probably didn't make the Pacific Jewel cruise that left today :( How disappointing for them. The first flight from Tassie doesn't get in until later tonight (yes the boredom factor had me checking flight stats). First cruise stop is Pentecost Island in 5 days time. How very disappointing!

Archived