Cruising to Bali & where to get the currancy.

Hi, my friend & i are Kiwi`s cruising next March on the Dawn Princess from Sydney round Australia & up to Bali. Our problem is getting Rupiah`s for Bali, we will only be there one day & dont want to waste that time looking to change money. My bank were not very helpful & said they don`t carry it. What is the best thing to do, we are not experienced travelers & dont want to be ripped off. Do they accept NZ or Aussie currancy or is American better. We will probably only do the markets so our credit cards are no good. Please help with any infomation you have on the currency & in fact anything at all about Bali. Thankyou in advance for any info you may post. Thanks. :confused::confused::confused:

Hi, my friend & i are Kiwi`s cruising next March on the Dawn Princess from Sydney round Australia & up to Bali. Our problem is getting Rupiah`s for Bali, we will only be there one day & dont want to waste that time looking to change money. My bank were not very helpful & said they don`t carry it. What is the best thing to do, we are not experienced travelers & dont want to be ripped off. Do they accept NZ or Aussie currancy or is American better. We will probably only do the markets so our credit cards are no good. Please help with any infomation you have on the currency & in fact anything at all about Bali. Thankyou in advance for any info you may post. Thanks. :confused::confused::confused:

You will be able to get it on board the ship.

We were there a few years ago, and just changed small amounts of money at the many money changers on the streets, they all pretty much had the same rates, although they changed quite often during the day. If you just change small amounts you will be fine.

I know as the currency is unstable that a lot of banks don't carry it - perhaps try Australia Post (although their minimum order is equivalent to $200 Australian) or one of the currrency conversion agencies such as Travelex? Ask another bank as well?

You could also ask at NZ Post, but not sure if they have currency for Bali.

Heres a great thread from Trip Advisor.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294226-i7220-k4047538-Please_Don_t_Respond_Currency_and_Money_Changers-Bali.html

A few good tips there ,if you are staying in Bali. Just for one day I would use the ship or the street money changers.

If you hire a car and driver you will probably be quoted in US or Au dollars.

Another tip, just before you leave, print out a cheat sheet, and cut to size, to put in your wallet. Very handy when shopping and you want to relate a local price back to your own dollar value.

http://www.oanda.com/currency/travel-exchange-rates

There are also many Money exchanges throughout Bali but I would just get what you need for the 1 day on board ship.

We are going from Fremantle to Bali, Lombok etc this September and that is what we will do.

Thanks for your reply, could you lets know if you have any trouble changing money on board when you go as that sounds the easiest way to go & for only one day in Bali shouldnt need to much. Cheers. :D:D

• 2 weeks later...

If you choose to use a Money Changer just be aware that some of them employ a lot of con tricks when counting the notes. Folding notes in half and putting a few smaller look alike notes, like a Rp5000 instead of a Rp50,ooo note etc. Count the notes yourself before accepting the exchange and be clear about the commission.

We just came back from 2 weeks in Bali and had no trouble also using the many ATM's around (they issue Rupiah). Try to use one inside a shop in case something goes awry. You can ask the shop keeper for help.

Our first withdrawal was a bit scary as we withdrew Rp1,500,000.00 but this is only about AUD$170.

Also don't accept the scratchie type tickets from the street hawkers, it is a "time share Con trick". Everyone wins a prize (like a T-Shirt) then they try to whizz you off to a hard sell meeting which are very hard to get out Of.

Very cheap to eat in Bali. Taxis & Bemo's also cheap. Smokes are about AUD$1.20 a pack. Bintang Beer from $1.20 to $3.00 a stubbie. The local wine has improved lately and is not too dear. The people are generally very friendly but get used to saying "NO" a lot to street hawkers.

Cheers,

John.

Archived