Drunk Ryndam passenger faces 20 years in prison after dropping the anchor!

RaceAddict

http://www.ybw.com/news/drunk-passenger-admits-dropping-ship-s-anchor-in-caribbean/529536

Dude, you're so screwed! :rolleyes:

Although I think somebody in the employ of HAL will surely be revising their security protocols very soon. Stuff like anchors should not be accessible to passengers under any circumstance.

It should be considered an act of terrorism. Although he probably intended to cause damage, it would have been a bow anchor that is likely to cause the most damage underway. The stern anchor would never puncture anything as nothing is below and the ship is sailing away from it as it's falling.

The guy needs to do some time.

That seems excessive.:eek:

Yeah I agree... by definition terrorism is "the use of violence and threats to intimidate or coerce, especially for political purposes"... so no, he's definitely not a terrorist.

Something more like gross criminal negligence, perhaps? What's the charge that drunk drivers are prosecuted under if they kill/injure someone? That would be more appropriate, no?

Notice the guy was so drunk he didn't realize the ramifications of his actions.

But he was sober enough to know he needed to put the gloves on and work on the mechanism for 15 minutes?

I doubt he gets more than a slap on the wrist, but I hope he gets put on the no fly - no sail list. Just think what he could try on an airplane!

Guest LoveMyBoxer

The term "terrorism" comes from French terrorisme, from Latin: 'terror', "great fear", "dread", related to the Latin verb terrere, "to frighten".

This guy came prepared with his own work gloves, which he wore (this was reported in the original news story), and thus drunk or not, had a plan to frighten/scare/terrorize individuals on this ship and knew exactly what he was doing!

Guest LoveMyBoxer
Not every stupid or criminal act is terrorism.

It potentialy is when you come prepared to do harm or damage, as this guy was!

This guy came prepared with his own work gloves, which he wore (this was reported in the original news story),

Which article is that? The one I linked to says nothing about bringing his own gloves.

and thus drunk or not, had a plan to frighten/scare/terrorize individuals on this ship and knew exactly what he was doing!

Not necessarily. It could simply be a case of "dude, wouldn't it be funny if...?" Like fireboat said, you can't fix stupid.

He's being charged with this:

§ 2280. Violence against maritime navigation

How Current is This? (a) Offenses.—

(1) In general.— A person who unlawfully and intentionally—

(A) seizes or exercises control over a ship by force or threat thereof or any other form of intimidation;

(B) performs an act of violence against a person on board a ship if that act is likely to endanger the safe navigation of that ship;

© destroys a ship or causes damage to a ship or to its cargo which is likely to endanger the safe navigation of that ship;

(D) places or causes to be placed on a ship, by any means whatsoever, a device or substance which is likely to destroy that ship, or cause damage to that ship or its cargo which endangers or is likely to endanger the safe navigation of that ship;

(E) destroys or seriously damages maritime navigational facilities or seriously interferes with their operation, if such act is likely to endanger the safe navigation of a ship;

(F) communicates information, knowing the information to be false and under circumstances in which such information may reasonably be believed, thereby endangering the safe navigation of a ship;

(G) injures or kills any person in connection with the commission or the attempted commission of any of the offenses set forth in subparagraphs (A) through (F); or

(H) attempts or conspires to do any act prohibited under subparagraphs (A) through (G),

shall be fined under this title, imprisoned not more than 20 years, or both; and if the death of any person results from conduct prohibited by this paragraph, shall be punished by death or imprisoned for any term of years or for life.

It is a federal case not just a drunken idiot.

Or perhaps a drunk that made a federal case of himself. I just don't think it qualifies as an act of terror. The charges against him are very serious and appropriate.

Yeah I Know but an example has to be made. The drinking was no excuse, those people that get drunk and try to open a cabin door on an aircraft are no different. I just wish he'd tie dit to his foot.

Yeah I Know but an example has to be made. The drinking was no excuse, those people that get drunk and try to open a cabin door on an aircraft are no different. I just wish he'd tie dit to his foot.

I think one should always be held accountable for actions performed under the influence of alcohol. As the Irish Song goes "Whiskey you're the devil, your leading me astray...."

Archived