New Years Eve - Formal Night ??

We are on Sun Princess NYE cruise to NZ ex Brisbane 28 Dec.

14 nights = 3 Formal + 11 Smart Casual Dining nights

Usually the formal nights (which we both love) are 2nd night, one mid cruise and 3rd on 2nd last night.

However as NYE is our 3rd night, I am wondering if that will be a formal night.

My guess is:

Formal Night 1 Dec 31 at sea before reaching Milford Sound

Formal Night 2 Jan 5 - after leaving Napier at 2.00pm

Formal Night 3 Jan 9 - at sea 2nd last night before arriving back at Bne

but I would welcome comments from others who might know

cheers

Hi, when we did the Sun Princess from Melb around NZ over NYE in 08 I'm 99% sure NYE was a formal night (we departed Melbourne on the 30th I think...)

This year we're doing the NZ trip on the Dawn leaving the 27th Dec...I'm guessing NYE will be a formal night for us too (a bit annoying as it is a port day and so is new years day!!)

Hi, when we did the Sun Princess from Melb around NZ over NYE in 08 I'm 99% sure NYE was a formal night (we departed Melbourne on the 30th I think...)

This year we're doing the NZ trip on the Dawn leaving the 27th Dec...I'm guessing NYE will be a formal night for us too (a bit annoying as it is a port day and so is new years day!!)

Hi Patatie

NYE day at Auckland should be fine...not that sure about Tauranga on New Year Day...thats the port for Rotorua....pungent mud pools just the thing to help clear the sinuses:eek:

I fancy I prefer the serenity of Milford Sound for Jan 1

cheers

Hmm - does it really matter?? P&O AUS ships are not "Formal" in any way (unless you call wearing a tie with a sports coat "formal")- and my understanding is that the Princess ships are not much more so.

P&O actually no longer use the word "formal" in their references to dress - what does Princess do? Is there any difference between US based Princess ships and Ozzie based ones in this regard.?

I notice that only very recently P&O UK have also ceased using the word "formal" and replaced it with "Black Tie".

Personally, I couldn't care less one way or the other. I'm comfortable in a short sleeved casual shirt or a Tuxedo!! :D

I skipped the Tux on our last P&O cruise (for obvious reasons) - and took a plain black suit - also took a Bowie. When I saw that at least 3 other male passengers were in Bow tie (including one of my tablemates), I pulled mine out. :)

Barry

Hi Patatie

NYE day at Auckland should be fine...not that sure about Tauranga on New Year Day...thats the port for Rotorua....pungent mud pools just the thing to help clear the sinuses:eek:

I fancy I prefer the serenity of Milford Sound for Jan 1

cheers

haha yeah I know...sure will be interesting! Still I prefer this with the convenience of not having to get a flight to the port! I think I'll end up being the designated driver for the trip to the mud pools too! :eek:

Hmm - does it really matter?? P&O AUS ships are not "Formal" in any way (unless you call wearing a tie with a sports coat "formal")- and my understanding is that the Princess ships are not much more so.

P&O actually no longer use the word "formal" in their references to dress - what does Princess do? Is there any difference between US based Princess ships and Ozzie based ones in this regard.?

I notice that only very recently P&O UK have also ceased using the word "formal" and replaced it with "Black Tie".

Personally, I couldn't care less one way or the other. I'm comfortable in a short sleeved casual shirt or a Tuxedo!! :D

I skipped the Tux on our last P&O cruise (for obvious reasons) - and took a plain black suit - also took a Bowie. When I saw that at least 3 other male passengers were in Bow tie (including one of my tablemates), I pulled mine out. :)

Barry

Last Princess cruise we did there was a mixture of people dressing from ball gowns to smart casual on the formal night. I remember though, on NYE some people changed from their "ball" attire to more smart-casual type clothes for the NYE party.

On our P&O NYE cruise the attire was VERY different for NYE. I think this was because P&O had the New Years Celebrations as a massive deck party...and as we were doing the Pacific Islands the weather and location on board lent itself to a much more casual dress code.

So YES people do "dress down" on Princess, but not to the same extent as they do on P&O.

(P&O Australia)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived