What to do in Suva

We will be cruising on Carnival Spirits Christmas cruise this year and one of our ports is Suva, I cant seem to find anything much to do there, would anyone have any info about what to do in Suva? We dont mind markets, would love to go to an authentic ceremony or snorkelling, but not too much walking, hope someone has some experience of Suva and can advise us.

There is no reasonable snorkelling near Suva. There could be some at some of your other ports, but I don't know which other ports you are going to.

Markets - When you leave the wharf area, follow the road to the right (past the Chinese fishing fleet) to the first traffic island where you should walk across the road (only a few hundred metres from the wharf). The handicraft market is in a low set building with a blue roof and also on the ground floor of the multi-level carpark next door.

There will be half a dozen tour operators on the dock offering tours. The only ceremonies you would be able to see are ones put on for tourists. They can be quite good. You could get a tour to the Arts Village at Pacific Harbour where you can see firewalking, dancing etc and traditional crafts.

They have a very nice military band playing all day at the wharf.

do not walk to close the fence as you leave the wharf where all the taxi's are as they will hound you and there is dozen's of them.

The best thing to do in Suva is to book a tour and get out of the city.

They have a very nice military band playing all day at the wharf.

do not walk to close the fence as you leave the wharf where all the taxi's are as they will hound you and there is dozen's of them.

The best thing to do in Suva is to book a tour and get out of the city.

Sorry, but I have to comment on this post as it has clearly been posted by someone who hasn't been there. By the way, I understand that you are just trying to help, but it doesn't really help when you are just guessing or maybe misunderstanding previous posts by other people. :D

The band is a police band (not military) and they usually play for about half an hour when the ship arrives and for the same period of time before sail away. On our 20+ visits to Suva I have never seen them play all day. On a couple of our visits, they didn't turn up at all, and on several occasions they just turned up at sailaway - so it is not certain when they will appear or whether they will at all.

Taxi drivers are not "near the fence". Some will be close to the ship where the tour buses and tour operators wait and others will be waiting immediately outside the wharf gates.

There are things to see in Suva (Government House, the Museum, Cathedral, markets). If you want to see more you can take a tour as I suggested in my earlier post. To see much you have to get a fair way out of town.

We unexpectedly enjoyed our day in Suva last year http://pacificpearltotahiti.blogspot.com.au/2011/07/suva-fiji.html

In fact, we enjoyed all our stops in Fiji - I could easily go back again.

Barry

I don't mind Suva, but unfortunately it has gained a not-so-good reputation. It is a very green city (as in trees etc.) and there is a lot to see, even just wandering through the markets, the fish markets and the city.

Yes - it is different from an Australian city, but if people want the same as they have at home, then maybe they shouldn't travel. :D:D

Let me say first of all, that I love Fiji and going there by plane is a great holiday, one which we do regularly

If I was going to Suva again on a cruise ship, I would stay on board, we felt there was nothing to do in the close proximity to the ship and you did need to get away from the City.

With Lautoka we found that different, we hired a car and went to Denarau for the day, and it was great!

Yes, the Band did play....Police Band and they were very entertaining, but they were there only for arrival and departure.

Sorry, but I have to comment on this post as it has clearly been posted by someone who hasn't been there. By the way, I understand that you are just trying to help, but it doesn't really help when you are just guessing or maybe misunderstanding previous posts by other people. :D

The band is a police band (not military) and they usually play for about half an hour when the ship arrives and for the same period of time before sail away. On our 20+ visits to Suva I have never seen them play all day. On a couple of our visits, they didn't turn up at all, and on several occasions they just turned up at sailaway - so it is not certain when they will appear or whether they will at all.

Taxi drivers are not "near the fence". Some will be close to the ship where the tour buses and tour operators wait and others will be waiting immediately outside the wharf gates.

There are things to see in Suva (Government House, the Museum, Cathedral, markets). If you want to see more you can take a tour as I suggested in my earlier post. To see much you have to get a fair way out of town.

there is a butcher shop just out side of the port wharf call the super butcher

do you mean this band? military police

IMG_4175.jpg

or these dancers

IMG_4184.jpg

or at this port

IMG_4186.jpg

I don't mind Suva, but unfortunately it has gained a not-so-good reputation. It is a very green city (as in trees etc.) and there is a lot to see, even just wandering through the markets, the fish markets and the city.

Yes - it is different from an Australian city, but if people want the same as they have at home, then maybe they shouldn't travel. :D:D

or at this butcher.

IMG_4159.jpg

or the stink of fuel from these jap fishing boats that are every where in Suva.

IMG_4196.jpg

the markets are in the blue roof place in back ground

but the better ones are on the water front

we could chat about prouds if you want to

Wonders why on earth you would want to visit a butcher shop when your on a cruise.

:confused::confused::confused:

i did visit it, the shop is right out the main gate on the left ,when u get off the ship.

I took the photo because the place looked dodgy and nothing like the super butcher we have in QLD

They are the Royal Fiji Police Band who usually play when cruise ships arrive and when they leave. :)

Hi Aus T. I remember them playing years back when I first cruised to Fiji. Here they are playing for the Volendam.

do you mean this band? military police

IMG_4175.jpg

They are the Royal Fiji Police Band who usually play when cruise ships arrive and when they leave. :)

yes that is then the Police

And they're a great band. Last time we were in Suva they had everyone on the pier dancing. :)

Jill:)

i do have to agree they were wonder full.

A sorry thied would be nice:rolleyes:

Sorry - it would appear from the photos that you have been to Suva, although I am still puzzled why you had so many 'facts' wrong (who the band is, when they play, where the taxis are).
who realy cares weather they are militry police or just police they are still there and great to see and hear.

and some times things change when it comes to where the taxi's are.

Archived