To Pack or Not to Pack

Unregistered, are you just back from your Thomson cruise? Get published on Cruise Critic; Write a Review!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 11:19 PM.
Co. Durham
2,654 Posts
Joined Mar 2012
Although this has been done before (see New Cruisers), with the constantly reducing luggage allowances when on a fly/cruise, (Thomson 23k to 20k), it is even more important not to pack stuff which is not going to be used well. The 'stay' hotel also needs to be taken into consideration too if you are doing both.
What do you insist on taking and what will you leave at home?
Serious and lighthearted suggestions welcomed.
Falkirk, Central Scotland
157 Posts
Joined May 2008
I thought to save wieght I would leave my wife behind as most of my case is made up of her "just in case clothes"
This idea was soon knock out of my head, but the bruising is now going away slowly.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Manchester, England
3,851 Posts
Joined Jan 2010
Originally posted by Jakanne1
Who would take a 'powerstrip' and air freshener as suggested on another thread?
I don't do it myself but a powerstrip is for charging phones, cameras, tablet pc's, Kindles, mp3 players and all the rest of the gadgets we can't live without. As for me, my phone should last all week with just my tablet and maybe the camera needing charging.

Jan
[email protected]
380 Posts
Joined Feb 2011
Although this has been done before (see New Cruisers), with the constantly reducing luggage allowances when on a fly/cruise, (Thomson 23k to 20k), it is even more important not to pack stuff which is not going to be used well. The 'stay' hotel also needs to be taken into consideration too if you are doing both.
I'm more interested in what books to take, so I'll cut down by taking paperbacks instead of hardbacks
[email protected]
380 Posts
Joined Feb 2011
What does "used well" mean? During the daytime who wears much?, other than bathers? and, if you go topless, thats even less for a woman

We'll do 4 shore excursions where we need clothes,otherwise we'll be in sunbathing gear,little weight there. That leaves evening wear, as far as I'm concerned I'll wear the same stuff 2nd week as first week,I think my wife feels the same.If we didn't "have to" go to the Captains dinner I needn't take shoes, thats uneccessary weight as far as I'm concerned + a suit for goodness sake
Co. Durham
2,654 Posts
Joined Mar 2012
Originally posted by Keith Jackson
What does "used well" mean? During the daytime who wears much?, other than bathers? and, if you go topless, thats even less for a woman

We'll do 4 shore excursions where we need clothes,otherwise we'll be in sunbathing gear,little weight there. That leaves evening wear, as far as I'm concerned I'll wear the same stuff 2nd week as first week,I think my wife feels the same.If we didn't "have to" go to the Captains dinner I needn't take shoes, thats uneccessary weight as far as I'm concerned + a suit for goodness sake
Ooops! Typo... Should be "well used" (I think). I had had a busy day!!

Yeah, I have a lightweight cocktail dress for formal night but does hubby need to take black tie suit, shirt, shoes and dickie bow for one night. Less room in his case for my stuff and he would look really out of place at Thomas Bay Hotel on 2nd week. Would probably get arrested or asked to sing Rat Pack!
somerset
229 Posts
Joined Mar 2010
Ditch the books and get a kindle! much lighter and a fraction of space used, so able to take more shoes
We also buy toiletries and booze at airport, naturally like steve, booze is for medicinal purposes only
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Bracknell
70 Posts
Joined Sep 2011
If you go and try on different perfumes and after shaves in the shop you don't need to bring that.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Sundream -1994
Birka Paradise -2007
Emerald Princess -2009
Island Escape -2010
Sea Princess -2010
England
57 Posts
Joined Jan 2009
Didn't think I would, but have just bought a Kindle for use on holidays. There is nothing like the feel and smell of a new book, but I had to agree with hubbie and taking 6-8 books on holiday did add unnecessary weight to my case, however I will still enjoy reading the real thing at home.

With regard to deciding what clothes to take, I find colour co ordinating helps. For 2 week holidays I usually take everything in shades of black, white , red and grey, many things can then be changed around for different looks. I also have an idea what to look out for when buying new items for holidays. Although I always say I have enough and don't need to buy anything, temptation always makes me give in, and I end up with yet more clothes, I am so weak.

I think successful packing is usually a matter of experience, once you have had a few holidays where half of your case returns home unworn, you learn for the next time, I never take "maybe's" anymore just "definates", you know what you are going to wear and what you really aren't too fussy on, so don't waste space on the "maybes".

But I think the most important thing is trying everything on before you decide to take it, particularly with holiday clothes which may only see the light of day once a year. It is so easy to forget that an item which still looks good on the hanger, and you remember how much you paid for it, didn't really suit you or didn't fit properly. It also reminds you to repair hems, tighten buttons etc.

However I think this may be a female thing, being organised, as my husband refuses to bother, but he does bring more unworn items back than I do, although he won't admit it !!
[email protected]
380 Posts
Joined Feb 2011
Originally posted by lilys gran
Ditch the books and get a kindle! much lighter and a fraction of space used, so able to take more shoes
We also buy toiletries and booze at airport, naturally like steve, booze is for medicinal purposes only
Unfortunately you can't get all books on Kindle
Tamworth, Staffordshire
1,240 Posts
Joined May 2009
Most ships have a library of sorts so you could take your chances think its only open about an hour a day though. My case on the last cruise was only 18kgs spent the week expecting to find out what i had left behind but didnt !!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
England
1,655 Posts
Joined Sep 2008
Who would take a 'powerstrip' and air freshener as suggested on another thread?
The powerstrip is one of our most essential items! How do you manage without one? So many things need charging these days.
Canvey Island, Essex
376 Posts
Joined May 2010
As to the chargers, we have a plug in charger effort thing, thats if I can find it now we have moved, ummmm. So its normally a fight over who gets to charge up what over night.

So what would I leave out of my case, shoes, I am only taking three pairs, there was talk in the house of going on a cruise from Southampton yipee I said I can take loads of cases and shoes ummm shoes.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Sailing Royal Caribbean International, Independence of the Seas, June 2018, Mediterranean Beaches
Sailed C & M Voyages, Marco Polo, January 2017, Amazon, West Indies and the Azores

Sailed C & M Voyages, Magellan December 2016, Christmas Markets
Sailed C & M Voyages, Magellan May 2016, Norwegian Fjords
Sailed Celebrity Constellation April 2015, Greece & Turkey
Sailed Costa Pacifica, Northern Capitals May 2014
Sailed Celebrity Silhouette, August 2013 Adriatic
Sailed Thomson Celebration June 2012 Egypt & The Holy Land and Aegean Adventure (back to back)
Sailed Thomson Celebration May 2010 Ottoman Treasures
Sailed Island Escape April 2008 Ancient Odyssey
Sailed Island Star June 2007 Mediterranean Explorer
Sheffield, UK
489 Posts
Joined Jan 2008
Couldn't live without my kindle, I carry it everywhere just in case I'm waiting for a short time & power strip again for charging camera, mobile etc. kindle battery lasts forever so can't imagine I'll need to charge that in the 2 week cruise.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Victoria
xxx

Ocean Village Two 3 - 10 June 2008
Ocean Village Two 10 - 17 June 2008
Thomson Dream 7 - 14 July 2012 Meditteranean Medley
Thomson Dream 14 - 21 July 2012 Roman Epic
Thomson Dream 8 - 15 June 2013 Treasures of the Med
Thomson Dream 10 - 17 Aug 2013 Highlights of the Med
Thomson Dream 17 - 24 Aug 2013 Treasures of the Med

Victoria
Jimmy
Christopher (19)
Grace (13)
Hilton Head Isl, SC
53 Posts
Joined Feb 2012
I take my kindle everywhere I also have a case that has a light on it that won't wake up hubby while I read at night.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature