Oasis Review w/tons of pics 3/24-3/31-closest thing ever to a perfect cruise!!

Hello all, Tracey here, just back from the closest thing I have ever had to a perfect cruise. For those of you that read my Freedom review last year, this one will be pretty much in the same format. If you didn't read it and want to take a look, it's in my signature.

My brain is pretty logical, so I tend to do my reviews in several blocks, usually in a day-by-day order, with lots of pictures. I also like to grade things, that comes from being a teacher for many years.:)

I will start by introducing us, I am Tracey, and every year we sail at Spring Break with my DH Elvis, DSs Noah 15 and Elijah 7, and my DM Shelly, a VERY YOUNG late-60ish powerhouse.

We usually get two side-by-side Aft JSs, me, DH and DS #2 in one cabin, DM and DS #1 in the other. However, since pricing on Oasis and Allure is still a bit high for my taste, and since there is no such thing as an Aft JS on Oasis anyway, we decided on 2 D1s on the forward hump.

We were in Port side 11200 and 11196, with one cabin in between us, which was a non-issue. For thse of you who really seem to care about this issue, the bed was near the closet and the bathroom, and the sofa was near the balcony. I still don't get why many people seem to be concerned about that, but it seems to be a hot button issue round here. It didn't bother me at all.

The cabins were fine, I have no real complaints, but I did miss my ginormous balcony and my lounge chairs!:( My DM missed the tub. Other than that, it was fine.

We all live in Los Angeles, so we flew into FLL the night before and stayed at Embassy Suites, which was great. We ate dinner at Duffy's which is a very short walk from the hotel.

The next mornng, we took a cab at around 12:30 to the port, and were in our cabins promptly at 1:10pm.

A few more details about the sailing before I start the actual review: it was an eastern route, 7 nights, stopping in Nassau, Bahamas on Day 2, St.Thomas on Day 4, and St. Maarten (which I had never been to before) on Day 5.

I don't usually do ship-sold excursions because they are overpriced and packed full of people, but on this trip, due to the impossibility of assuring entrance into Atlantis any other way, we booked the Atlantis Adventurer package because we love it there and my kids adore the waterpark. But $750 bucks for 5 people for only a few hours did bother me a tiny bit. I coulda got an Inside cabin for that price.;) Oh well.

On the other 2 days, we had privately booked activities, fishing on St. Thomas and a day at La Samana Resort on St. Maarten (the French side).

On our way home, we had a late flight to LA (it's almost impossible to get a non-stop before 5pm for some reason), so we had booked a day rate at Hyatt Place (that will be gone into IN DEPTH at the end of this review);). Let's just say this, NOT A FAN!!!!:mad:

Ok, I think we have all the paperwork out of the way, now, on to the pics and let's get this review started.

It will be coming in spurts, as I do work for a living. So tune in early and often, and I will work as fast as I can!!:)

Day #1: Arrival at The Oasis:

530136_10150687503038113_682718112_9552754_344996956_n.jpg

We arrived at the port in FLL by taxi at around 12:30, and were in our cabin by 1:10, not bad. Everything went smoothly, this was one of the quickest, easiest embarkations ever. :)

One note of interest for parents tavelling with children with different last names, single parents, divorced parents, adopted kids, step-kids and what have you: for the FIRST TIME EVER, in all my crusies, the lady at the counter (Patricia) asked for DS #1's custody papers. I always travel with them, but have never been asked, until now.;)

My older son is from a previous relationship and has a different last name, and the lady was on the ball, doing her job and asked for proof. Good for her!! I told her she was the first person to ever ask, and I filled out a comment card praising her competence! SO parents, grandparents, guardians, TAKE THOSE DOCUMENTS, you really might need them someday!

Hey Dawg, cool stuff so far. Question bout the Embassy Suites, the room you had with a view of the cruise port, did you request that? Were there restaurants nearby?

We're heading down next month for an Oasis cruise, only detail to work out is a place to stay the night before cruise.

Hey Dawg, cool stuff so far. Question bout the Embassy Suites, the room you had with a view of the cruise port, did you request that? Were there restaurants nearby?

We're heading down next month for an Oasis cruise, only detail to work out is a place to stay the night before cruise.

Yes and Yes. We requested a high floor with a view of the port. As for walking, The Harbor Shops is a shopping center directly behind the hotel, about a 2 minute walk. We ate at Duffy's, a sports bar chain kinda place. There was also Joe's Cafe, Lauderdale Grill, a sushi place, and a few other, along with a Publix grocery store. All super close.

Now is a good time to metion 2 things:

1. I will answer any questions, and I probably have a pic of it, so feel free to ask.:)

2. I have over 1,000 pics on my FB page, if you want to see all of them, just friend me, at Tracey Mandell Steven, and mention you are a CC person and I will add you.:D

you are awesome to do all of this. i am enjoying the review and pics. I will request to be a friend on FB so I can see your pics. do you have the cruise compasses that you can post? thanks :)

Now is a good time to metion 2 things:

1. I will answer any questions, and I probably have a pic of it, so feel free to ask.:)

2. I have over 1,000 pics on my FB page, if you want to see all of them, just friend me, at Tracey Mandell Steven, and mention you are a CC person and I will add you.:D

532546_10150687524053113_682718112_9552905_183845562_n.jpg

This is what a triple D1 looks like with both beds out. While there isn't the same amount of space that I am used to in a JS, it was fine. And the beds were really comfortable!!

REVIEW OF DAY 1:

One of the smoothest embarkations ever is quite a feat on such a huge ship filled with so many people. We had all 9 of our bags by 2:30pm, unpacked, did the Muster (which was the best ever), ate at Windjammer, and spent the evening on The Boardwalk.

While on the Boardwalk we watched the show, had an ice cream, and DS #2 made a Pet at Sea. I have pics of all of this if anyone wants to see them.

Reminder, use your coupon book, I saved $15.00 at Pets at Sea with a coupon.

GRADES FOR DAY 1:

Embarkation: A

Muster: A

Boardwalk: A+

you are awesome to do all of this. i am enjoying the review and pics. I will request to be a friend on FB so I can see your pics. do you have the cruise compasses that you can post? thanks :)

Sorry, I don't save those pesky things, I hate clutter, and on this ship, the entire thing is digital in your cabin and all over the ship, so they really should save the trees and stop printing them.

I know lots of people post them and love them, I just throw them away, sorry.:)

Archived