Do ships often have trouble docking at Portland?

Bev

Hi

DH and I are cruising on the Jewel of the Seas at the end of August and the ship is scheduled to dock at Portland on September 2.

A couple of tour companies I've approached about tours of the Jurassic Coast require a non-refundable deposit, so I'm wondering if ships have any difficulty in docking at Portland.

Thanks for your help with this!

Bev

I think you mean Portland Maine correct? If so, you're on the wrong forum, this forum covers northern europe. Go to the New England/Canada for help.

and no sorry, I don't know if ships have trouble docking there.

Hi

DH and I are cruising on the Jewel of the Seas at the end of August and the ship is scheduled to dock at Portland on September 2.

A couple of tour companies I've approached about tours of the Jurassic Coast require a non-refundable deposit, so I'm wondering if ships have any difficulty in docking at Portland.

Thanks for your help with this!

Bev

With the weather the way it has been this year it's anyones guess as to the sea state. you have a good chance of no problems at the end of august.

If you want to know what it could possibly be like then have a look at this video from june last year http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiiK0fyIyDA

I would suggest to keep looking for tour operators that offer a refundable deposit. If not already done so, have a look at this site for further ideas: http://www.jurassiccoast.com/429/category/tours-and-transport-272.html

I think you mean Portland Maine correct? If so, you're on the wrong forum, this forum covers northern europe. Go to the New England/Canada for help.

No, I meant Portland on the south coast of England. I had read of high waves preventing ships from making port and wondered whether it happened often.

Bev

With the weather the way it has been this year it's anyones guess as to the sea state. you have a good chance of no problems at the end of august.

If you want to know what it could possibly be like then have a look at this video from june last year http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiiK0fyIyDA

I would suggest to keep looking for tour operators that offer a refundable deposit. If not already done so, have a look at this site for further ideas: http://www.jurassiccoast.com/429/category/tours-and-transport-272.html

Thanks for the advice. As you suggest, our preference is to find a tour operator that either offers a refundable deposit or is willing to accept payment in full on the day of the tour. I had found one; however he subcontracts the work, his usual go-to person is ill and he won't be able to help us. Under normal circumstances he might find an alternate but the paralympics will be taking place in the area when we're there and most vehicles are spoken for.

Thanks too for the website with tour operators in the area. I had contacted a couple of them but there are several new ones, I'll email them today.

Bev

The Jurassic Coast is in England!

• 2 weeks later...
Since we will be in Portland the day of the Paralympics sailing event, do you think it will be possible to see any of the event where the ship docks?

Ann

Your ship will berth in Portland Harbour, quite close to the Olympic village, which is at Osprey Quay, so you will almost certainly see some activity such as boats going out of the harbour to the course. You pass the Village as you cross the causeway from Portland Bill to the mainland.

The events take place in Weymouth Bay, so you should see something from a vantage point on your ship, though from that range (its a big big sheltered harbour) you'll not know who's who or what's going on. You just might be able to tie it in with the TV.

If you visit Weymouth, quick & easy by bus or taxi & almost-certainly a ship's shuttle to Weymouth Clock Tower / Seafront, you'll certainly see more of the actual events & feel much more involved.

Weymouth is, in any case, your best bet for an easy, cheap & interesting day ashore & easy to wander on foot. It's a typical english seaside resort, with victorian seafront hotels, promenade & sandy beach, backed by narrow streets, shops, pubs, cafes, fish & chip shops, harbour, small fishing fleet, smugglers museum etc.

There are a lot of alternatives in the area, such as the Jurassic coast, Lulworth Bay, Durdle Door, but these need a taxi or hire car.

Dorchester is easy from Weymouth by train, or Bovington tank museum or Corfe Castle by train & a short taxi hop.

JB :)

Weymouth is, in any case, your best bet for an easy, cheap & interesting day ashore & easy to wander on foot. It's a typical english seaside resort, with victorian seafront hotels, promenade & sandy beach, backed by narrow streets, shops, pubs, cafes, fish & chip shops, harbour, small fishing fleet, smugglers museum etc.

JB :)

Thanks JB....you said the magic words to talk me into Weymouth!:D

Carol

Archived