RCCL Alaska cruise/tours info

avalon007

Hi,

Could anyone that has been on RCCL's cruise tours let me know what hotels you stayed in at these towns & if any meals are supplied?

Anchorage

Denali

Talkeetna

Aleyska

Also in Denali the Tundra Wilderness tour is included, is that a stay on the bus & get off for photo/amenities breaks only or do you get to do a guided walking tour for any part of the trip?

How many hours is the tour?

Thanks! :)

At Denali, if you take TOUR, you stay on the bus except for the 10-15 minute restroom breaks. On the SHUTTLe you can get off at any point to walk or hike, then hop on another bus with available seating. Keep in mind that the TWT only goes to Mile 53 atToklat, sometimes to Stony Overlook at Mile 63. The Eielson Shuttle always goes to Mile 66 to the VisitorCenter with exhibits, a wonderful view if the mtn is out, drinking fountains, and trails. The TNT and Eielson Shuttle are both about 8 hrs. Details about the differences AND a map showing the destinations in this link.

http://www.nps.gov/dena/planyourvisit/visiting-denali.htm

Neither bus offers a guided hike. However if you take the SHUTTLE to Eielson Visitor Center you can do the Eielson Stroll with a ranger. Ranger hikes in this link:

http://www.nps.gov/dena/planyourvisit/walks-and-hikes.htm

At Denali, if you take TOUR, you stay on the bus except for the 10-15 minute restroom breaks. On the SHUTTLe you can get off at any point to walk or hike, then hop on another bus with available seating. Keep in mind that the TWT only goes to Mile 53 atToklat, sometimes to Stony Overlook at Mile 63. The Eielson Shuttle always goes to Mile 66 to the VisitorCenter with exhibits, a wonderful view if the mtn is out, drinking fountains, and trails. The TNT and Eielson Shuttle are both about 8 hrs. Details about the differences AND a map showing the destinations in this link.

http://www.nps.gov/dena/planyourvisit/visiting-denali.htm

Neither bus offers a guided hike. However if you take the SHUTTLE to Eielson Visitor Center you can do the Eielson Stroll with a ranger. Ranger hikes in this link:

http://www.nps.gov/dena/planyourvisit/walks-and-hikes.htm

Are you saying Royal give you options to choose which one or are you just giving examples of what can be done if you are travelling to Denali & doing this privately?

I'm looking to find out which tour Royal includes specifically when they say the Tundra Wilderness Tour is included, as I won't be having an option I assume & we aren't travelling to Denali on our own.

This will be part of Royal's Cruise/Tour 12 Southbound.

Thanks.:)

RCI doesn't PROVIDE any shuttles or tours at Denali .... they just book seats with the Park's vendor. The options described on the Denali web page are the only options available and they're avialable to everyone, whether you're on a cruisetour or independent. If your cruisetour includes the TWT, that's what you're getting. And the description on the Park web page applies.

If you have enough time at Denali (a 2 nite stay) you can book the shuttle on your own if the TWT doesn't meet your needs. A lot people on Princess tours get the Natural History Tour ... some will take a refund on the NHT and book a seat on a shuttle instead. The shuttles are relatively cheap so even if you don't get a refund it's not a huge loss.

Are you saying Royal give you options to choose which one or are you just giving examples of what can be done if you are travelling to Denali & doing this privately?

I'm looking to find out which tour Royal includes specifically when they say the Tundra Wilderness Tour is included, as I won't be having an option I assume & we aren't travelling to Denali on our own.

This will be part of Royal's Cruise/Tour 12 Southbound.

Thanks.:)

There is only ONE Tundra Wilderness tour. Complete descriptions for all park access http://www.nps.gov/dena

As already noted- RCI is just booking this tour for you, not running it. You get a rest stop about every 90 minutes- these are all chemical/porta potties. The only flush toilets/running water is at Eielson.

Plenty of people arrive at Denali without their own transportation- with no limits, except time in how they wish to enter Denali.

RCI does not refund their tours- but there may be a back door for refunds- direct with Aramark. You would need to find out the details of the ticket and be willing to make your own arrangement for alternative options.

Hi,

Could anyone that has been on RCCL's cruise tours let me know what hotels you stayed in at these towns & if any meals are supplied?

Anchorage

Denali

Talkeetna

Aleyska

Also in Denali the Tundra Wilderness tour is included, is that a stay on the bus & get off for photo/amenities breaks only or do you get to do a guided walking tour for any part of the trip?

How many hours is the tour?

You stay at Aleyska Lodge and Talkeetna Alaska Lodge.

I always recommend- people who are at Girdwood prior to embarkment- dump your cruisetour and take the Alaska RR to Seward. Otherwise, your later arrival, has you missing out on significant excellent touring opportunities. A main interest with Alaska visitors is wildlife- superb- are the Kenai Fjords boat tours- loaded with varied wildlife.

As mentioned, you do not get any "guided walking tours". (there is not much to guide anyway- easy hiking everywhere). Two guided walks, are daily at Savage River and Eielson.

There is also an enhanced hiking option- with fitness required and advance sign up. These are the Discovery Hikes.

Hi,

NO meals are included, unless they are specifically mentioned. Budget 50% more that you would at home.

NO meals are included, unless they are specifically mentioned. Budget 50% more that you would at home.

Hello i have seen this a lot about meals... I live right outside of NYC should i be expecting to see NYC prices in Alaska for food.... Please share

Budget Queen you provide some great info... Wish I could follow a budget with my trip lol

Hello i have seen this a lot about meals... I live right outside of NYC should i be expecting to see NYC prices in Alaska for food.... Please share

Budget Queen you provide some great info... Wish I could follow a budget with my trip lol

I spend a good amount of time in NYC and eat pretty cheap there. :)

My recommendations are based on general. I am not about to say- less. I don't travel like some people, who have strict budgets and no extras. My goal is to allow for this.

People may want to experience some superb and costly Alaskan food- always, my preference.

I said this a while ago on another thread Alaska is my spare no expense trip.. So if it looks good and I want it I am going to eat it lol... Same is for shore tours.

Thank you again

JD

Always my thinking. :) I don't compromise!!!

Have a great trip.

Archived