"Bronze" Reflective balcony glass on Freedom

Have JS #9564 booked on Freedom of the Seas for an upcoming cruise. I've just realized that this JS is one of those with the "bronzed reflective" glass on the balcony.

Anyone have any pictures of this or any other stateroom looking out through the balcony glass? I'm just concerned that it would hinder the view looking out while seated on the balcony. If you have been in one of these staterooms, I'd love to hear your opinion, please.

I had a balcony on Liberty of the Seas with this glass. I now make sure I never get one again. The glass almost acts as a mirror when you are sitting down on your balcony. You can barely see the water but you get a great view of yourself. I have a picture and will post it for you when I get home to give you a better idea about it.

If you plan to spend a lot of time sitting on your balcony I would try and change the cabin number if you can.

I'm curious...how does one tell if their room has this type of glass?

The cabins that are directly located under the hottubs that are out over the side of the ship have the glass. I believe there are 6 cabins in a row.

I Google image search a side picture of any of the 3 Freedom class ships and count the number of balconies from the first one at the front of the ship to the first one with the glass of the ship and then do the same on the deckplans. It worked perfectly for me on my Indy cruise last week

The cabins that are directly located under the hottubs that are out over the side of the ship have the glass. I believe there are 6 cabins in a row.

I Google image search a side picture of any of the 3 Freedom class ships and count the number of balconies from the first one at the front of the ship to the first one with the glass of the ship and then do the same on the deckplans. It worked perfectly for me on my Indy cruise last week

Good to know. Thank you!

Here is a photo of the bronzed glass from the inside of our JS on the Freedom. The bronzed glass is only the cabins below the hot tub that hangs out over the side on the 11th deck. This is the hot tub near the front of the ship. You can see a good photo of it on the Independence at the RCL website. I think that the ship designers were trying to make it 'look pretty'.....

I tried to upload a photo, but all that shows up is a relatively tiny thumbnail size. Not sure how to get a full size photo on the site.

46765910_IMG_0864(Small).jpg.22dec1486a4113bae4e780b5dacb6947.jpg

Have JS #9564 booked on Freedom of the Seas for an upcoming cruise. I've just realized that this JS is one of those with the "bronzed reflective" glass on the balcony.

Anyone have any pictures of this or any other stateroom looking out through the balcony glass? I'm just concerned that it would hinder the view looking out while seated on the balcony. If you have been in one of these staterooms, I'd love to hear your opinion, please.

What a coincidence.... We were in the same cabin back in January and that is where the photo I just posted was taken. While it is not a real problem having the bronzed glass, it does make it more inconvenient to just sit back in your lounge and watch the ocean. Given a choice, I would not stay in one of those bronzed glass cabins again.

Here is a photo of the bronzed glass from the inside of our JS on the Freedom. The bronzed glass is only the cabins below the hot tub that hangs out over the side on the 11th deck. This is the hot tub near the front of the ship. You can see a good photo of it on the Independence at the RCL website. I think that the ship designers were trying to make it 'look pretty'.....

I tried to upload a photo, but all that shows up is a relatively tiny thumbnail size. Not sure how to get a full size photo on the site.

Geez that does look annoying. :(

I've never heard why they decided to go with this type of glass on that one column of balconies. Does anyone know? To me it has always looked strange. From certain angles and lighting, it makes it look like there is plywood covering the balconies.

If the decision to have this type of glass was just to highlight the extended whirlpools, I think that was a bad choice.

• 2 months later...

Thanks for the tip! I knew nothing about this but then decided to count to make sure our Grand Suite was not like this...whew it is not!

• 2 weeks later...
Does anyone know exactly which rooms these are? I've been offered 6556 and 6562. If I'm counting correctly, 6562 has the bronze glass but 6556 does not. Does anyone know for sure?

I had 6262 (starboard pair to 6562) back in January and it does indeed have the bronzed glass. Can't speak to 6556, though.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

One can only assume that it was done to add some architectural interest to the side of a massive ship. What is beyond me is the fact that it is reflective on both sides - had no one ever heard of one-way mirrors?

I am also assuming that Royal gets lots of complaints about this very thing. How awful it would be to show up for a wonderful trip with many early morning breakfasts on your balcony, only to be able to sit and watch yourself eat!:rolleyes:

You can't be serious!! Do you just look for something to complain about? If you can't see the water directly touching the ship you can see it on the horizon. How does this make you unable to eat your breakfast? If your eating abits are so gross you can't stand to see yourself maybe you should avoid going on a cruise altogether. Those of us who have to see you in the Windjammer or dining room would probsbly like to avoid your munching and drooling.

You are on vacation, not on an inspection to see how much you can find fault with things.

Just so you know, you and your significant other probably coat yourself in stinky cologne that upset my stomach but I do not let that ruin my cruise? No, and you are all over the ship smelling it up. There, now that's real.

Last week in FOS, we had 6266, one of the rooms with this glass. While it didn't ruin our cruise, it was very disappointing. As a short person, when I sat on the balcony I could only see my reflection or the sky. Yes, I could stand at the rail and see the ocean, and I did plenty of that, but still, quite the bummer to not be able to sit and enjoy the balcony the way we had hoped.

I did mention my disappointment on my RC customer satisfaction survey, along with kudos for all the great things we experiened.

If I get lucky enough to cruise again, I will try my best to get a balcony without this glass.

For those trying to count rooms to see where this glass is, on FOS, 6260, 6262, 6264, and 6266 all have it. Same with 6560, 6562, 6564, and 6566. Hopefuly that helps.

You can't be serious!! Do you just look for something to complain about? If you can't see the water directly touching the ship you can see it on the horizon. How does this make you unable to eat your breakfast? If your eating abits are so gross you can't stand to see yourself maybe you should avoid going on a cruise altogether. Those of us who have to see you in the Windjammer or dining room would probsbly like to avoid your munching and drooling.

You are on vacation, not on an inspection to see how much you can find fault with things.

Just so you know, you and your significant other probably coat yourself in stinky cologne that upset my stomach but I do not let that ruin my cruise? No, and you are all over the ship smelling it up. There, now that's real.

Feel better now? So sorry that you must be having an awful day, but I was very serious. Perhaps you have never cruised with a balcony, but they do have chairs on them that are for sitting and enjoying the view, not just the fresh air, certainly not to look back at yourself. Perhaps I should refer you back to the picture on page one from the very nice poster that posted it because he was proving a point that it is indeed an awful idea from his experience.

Hope you enjoy the rest of your 4th of July:rolleyes:

Your post is very ignorant, rude and unfriendly and frankly there was no need for it at all.

I suggest you take a long hard look at yourself and the way you communicate with people to work out how to improve it.

Archived