Luggage at embarkation

NeilT66

We will be taking our first cruise in June, a return trip from Southampton. I will be carrying a fairly large rucksack containing my cameras, laptop etc. will I be expected to let that go on-board with our suitcases or can I carry it on-board myself? I would rather keep this valuable equipment with me at all times.

Neil

We will be taking our first cruise in June, a return trip from Southampton. I will be carrying a fairly large rucksack containing my cameras, laptop etc. will I be expected to let that go on-board with our suitcases or can I carry it on-board myself? I would rather keep this valuable equipment with me at all times.

Neil

Neil,

I am similarly burdened on embarkation day with a backpack that contains all my camera gear plus my netbook/laptop and a whole load of other junk. I have always carried it on board myself and have never had a problem. You will, of course, be expected to pass it through the security scanner as you go on board the ship. The scanner is the conveyor belt type with the scanning equipment mounted above the belt. My backpack fits the scanner neatly, but if yours is too large, they will handsearch it for you. If you are arriving by car, just make sure that the porters don't grab your backpack - they can be pretty darn fast at times and tend to pick up and disappear with anything that you lay down on the ground beside you!

J

Thanks for that. I had visions of people giving me weird looks for having the temerity to carry my own luggage!

Took a quick look at your photo site - some good stuff there and I shall return for more later.

Neil

Thanks for that. I had visions of people giving me weird looks for having the temerity to carry my own luggage! Took a quick look at your photo site - some good stuff there and I shall return for more later. Neil
Hi Neil,

As Cruachan says, please don't worry. I've seen suit carriers, large bags that obviously contain ball-gowns, boxes of wine, and all shapes of luggage carried on. I think that full size suitcases aren't permitted, they have to be "checked-in" (but I've seen some "carry-on" cases being carried on to the ship that were so large no airline would allow them in the cabin!).

And yes, Cruachan's photos/website is exceptional.

Hope this helps, Bon Voyage!

Just one thing to think about, if you have a laptop. You may need to put this through the scanner seperately something to think about when packing.
My laptop, in my briefcase, has survived being scanned several times at the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal. I have no idea what sort of machine, if any, is used to examine the luggage that the porters relieve you of.

As Pepperrn says, the amount, size and variety of stuff that is carried on is amazing. You shouldn't have any problems, although if Jimmy's list is anything to go by you might consider hiring a Sherpa.

But please, please take the rucksack off and carry it when you are indoors. I'm pretty fed up with being whacked in the head on busses and trains and in shops by people who forget that they have increased their fore and aft dimension by about a foot by wearing a backpack. Out of sight out of mind seems to be the order of the day for rucksackers.

G.

As Pepperrn says, the amount, size and variety of stuff that is carried on is amazing. You shouldn't have any problems, although if Jimmy's list is anything to go by you might consider hiring a Sherpa.

But please, please take the rucksack off and carry it when you are indoors. I'm pretty fed up with being whacked in the head on busses and trains and in shops by people who forget that they have increased their fore and aft dimension by about a foot by wearing a backpack. Out of sight out of mind seems to be the order of the day for rucksackers.

G.

Hey Gabster - no problems with little ole moi. My backpack is so heavy I hitch to the back of SWMBO's mobility scooter. Problem sorted!

J

I am planning for just the opposite and hopefully the porters will treat my camera equipment with a degree of respect. Interesting to hear how these cases pass through a scanner as the Nikon lens case is made of a shiny metal.

Neil

Hi Neil,

which cruise are you on? Have you joined the roll call? I am on QV to Iceland in June. Plenty of fantastic photographic possibilities!

I always take my camera etc and laptop with me in a roll along bag. As Lankylad says, you usually have to get out the laptop and scan it seperately so I make sure it is right at the top of my bag.

Have a great trip!

Hi Camgirl,

We're on the Baltic trip on QV. St Petersburg and Tallinn look fabulous for photography and I'm really looking forward to those two cities in particular.

I have a large Lowe backpack, probably similar to Cruachan's, that has a special laptop compartment making it simple to remove for scanning when necessary.

Enjoy your trip too.

Neil

I have a large Lowe backpack, probably similar to Cruachan's, that has a special laptop compartment making it simple to remove for scanning when necessary.

Yes, I've also got a Lowepro backpack with the laptop compartment. Can't recall ever been asked by Cunard security to remove the laptop though.

J

Archived