Empress 11 Night Review

Hi. Below is a link to my new review of my 11 night Exotic Caribbean Cruise on "Empress of the Seas" this past January. Sorry it took so long to put up, but websites aren't my strong suit. This is a long review with tons of pictures. Slower connections should be fine, however, as I have divided the 11 nights into several pages.

Please check it out, and tell me what you think.

http://www.realtyone.com/daniel.smith/empress.asp

-Dan Smith

Thanks for a great review. Sorry about the camera and the virus. Question for you since I do indeed have some minor back problems is the ABC tour too much? Would love to do it but don't want to have a bad back the rest of the trip.

Thanks for sharing! this cruise looks soooo tempting, and your pictures and review just made it more so. I am sorry to hear that your camera got soaked and that you got sick. But it looks like you enjoyed yourself in spite of that. :D Thanks again for sharing!

My husband and I just booked this cruise for next Feb 2006. For the first time in a long time, we booked the cheapest oceanview in the ship. But I figured an island a day - who needs a balcony. I also found out RCC is running a special on airfare to San Juan ($399 round trip from Dallas). Anyway - Thanks so much for the island updates and your pictures. Great job!

Dan,

Unique and intersting presentation. I will be sailing on the Empress from October 10th - 17th, out of Fort Lauderdale, however the Empress will leave me in San Juan, where I haven't been in many years. Will spend several days re-aquainting myself on the island, and then fly back to my home, Fort Lauderdale.

I have never been to St. Kitt, and I'm glad your relatives enjoyed the St. Kitt Railway tour. I plan to take that excursion myself. Was somewhat concerned, as the Empress will be docking there on a Friday. When I went onto the St. Kitt Railway site to read about the tour, it said, they only operate on Mondays and Wednesdays, during certain months, I didn't fall into that window. So, I immediately e-mailed them, and got a rather rapid reply back, and they told me that despite it being a Friday, they will be operating. Was really glad to hear that, as this excursion was one I really had my heart set on. Your description of St. Kitt, it's old world feel, it's narrow streets, and the apparant British influence have me really excited.

Sorry to hear about your virus, sounds like they took pretty good care of you, and also the loss of your camera.

Thanks again for a most unusual post.

Best,

Bruce

P.S. I like the smaller ships. Much more of an intimate experience. Have no interest in sailing on a floating city. However, I'm sure the time will come where I will.

Holland America, ms Volendam; December 16th, 2004, 11 Night Southern Carribean

Holland America, ms Zuideram, April 9th, 2005, 7 Night, Eastern Carribean

Soon To Sail on the Empress of the Seas, October 10th, 2005, 7 Night Eastern Carribean

WOW! That is an outstanding review! We keep thinking about Empress, but there are so many port stops without a few at sea days to recoup.

Great review, thanks so much for sharing, Dan :)

WOW! My website has tracked over 125 views of this review today....I'm Stunned!

Thank you all for taking the time to read my review, and share a bit of my experience.

I just wanted to take a second and answer your questions.

First, Apex Cruiser .... You asked about back pain. I might clarify by saying that I abuse my back horribly (click here http://www.realtyone.com/daniel.smith/action.asp ) I am in constant back pain as a result of my sport/hobby of mountain biking, and biketrials. That said, the tour itself was ok, I was a little uncomfortable towards the end, if you ask to sit in the driver's compartment, as opposed to in the back "truck bed" area, I think that you'd fare better than I did. also, 30+ hours of vomiting probably didn't help my muscle spasms much either.

Bas7.....I watched the video footage that my mother-in-law took on the train ride, and I honestly regretted not going. The scenery was breathtaking, and the most amazing thing happened every time the train tour passed a school, all of the school children would pour out of the building, and run after the train, waving and yelling, Really cool to see.

ArnoldM.....Regarding my camera, and it's successor. My origional camera was a simple point and shoot canon a70. 3.1mpx, using a 1GB compact flash card. Since I had invested in a 1GB card, I really needed something compatable, and I love Canon's products. I stopped at the "Freeport Bargain Center, in curacao. I upgraded to a Canon a85. 4 mpx, but I'm a little dissapointed with the quality of the "video" mode on this model. The framerate is only 10 images per second, and the resolution is lower in video mode than the old camera. after doing a bit of research back home, I think I overpaid by something like 20 us dollars. A small price to pay to have pictures from the rest of the trip.... Of course, the new 75 and 85 models are slightly differently shaped than last year's 70 and 80 models, so the underwater housings don't fit....so I had to buy one of those as well......know anyone with a Canon a70 or 60 that needs an underwater housing? I've got one, only used twice!

Anyway, Thank you all for your comments. If anyone would like more pictures, or specific questions, just let me know. I have almost 2 gigs worth of pics from this trip, and I'd like to share (in moderation, of course).

Thanks!

-Dan Smith

Great review.

We took the 4/11 sailing and loved it as well. For those who plan to take it here is a couple of recomendations from me:

St. Lucia - For those not interested in the mountain bike tour, I will highly recommend Cosol Tours; http://www.cosoltours.com. Cosol and his brother, Yellowbird will hook you up for one of the best tours that I've ever been on.

Margarita Island - This island is an unknown to most cruisers, and its guided tour industry is in its infancy. So, many people jump on an RCCL bus and drive around wondering why thy stopped here. Most will just walk off the ship to a private beach. The beach is nice and its a fun time, but it doesn't show the island for what it is or can be. So, here are a couple of recommendations: 1) Marlene Lunar - coralservices@hotmail.com or call her at 011 58 414 790 9982. She is conversant in English and will give you a look at the island that you'll never get from a ship's tour. and 2) Marcella Tinsman - http://www.casatrudel.com/crusin-n-style.htm. A third option is Walter - http://www.margaritaislandguide.com/index.htm. Walter is usually tied up with the cruise lines, but if he's free, he will be a top flight choice.

IMHO, Margarita is a great, and very inexpensive, island. Enjoy.

Hi AltaJoe,

Really enjoyed your pics. By chance, do you remember where DSCN1125 was shot. Beautiful background. Love those mountains. Was that you on the jetty? Lucky you.

Thanks.

Best,

Bruce

Holland America, ms Volendam, December 16th, 2004, 11 Day Southern Carribean

Holland America, ms Zuiderdam, April 9th, 2005, 7 Days, Eastern Carribean]

Soon To Sail on The Empress of the Seas, October 10th, 2005, 7 Days, Eastern Carribean

Sorry, Just realized I posted this in the wrong place.

Hi AltaJoe,

Really enjoyed your pics. By chance, do you remember where DSCN1125 was shot. Beautiful background. Love those mountains. Was that you on the jetty? Lucky you.

1125 was shot at Turtle Beach on St. Kitts. The island in the background is Nevis. No that's not me on the dock. I appear in a Hitchcockian manner in 1119.

What a terrific review! Sorry you got sick and your camera died. Everything else sounds fabulous!

We took our honeymoon on the then-Nordic Empress, my first cruise, and DH's first non-Navy cruise. You brought back some fond memories of the old girl (who was new and innovative when we cruised her in 1995, LOL)

Alta Joe,

You made my morning, day, and evening. I've never been to St. Kitt and have always wanted to see Nevis from St. Kitt. I took a look at your picture, and said to myself, how beautiful that shot was, and where was it? And low and behold. it's St. Kitt, overlooking Nevis. I'm sailing on the Empress of the Seas in October, and will be there. I can't wait. Hoping to take the Railway trip while there.

Didn't even think you would see my post after you posted on this thread, but I guess it was meant to be. Tried to e-mail you but couldn't get through

Thanks so much for responding.

Best,

Bruce

Holland America, ms Volendam; December 16th, 2004, 11 Night Southern Carribean

Holland America, ms Zuideram, April 9th, 2005, 7 Night, Eastern Carribean

Soon To Sail on the Empress of the Seas, October 10th, 2005, 7 Night Eastern Carribean

I have been thinking of booking this cruise; would you rate the cruise based on the ports, and/or the cruise experience. At first glance I thought that it was too port intensive. Would appreciate your advise. I have been to almost all of the ports.

Thank you for the very excellant review.

Alta Joe,

You made my morning, day, and evening. I've never been to St. Kitt and have always wanted to see Nevis from St. Kitt. I took a look at your picture, and said to myself, how beautiful that shot was, and where was it? And low and behold. it's St. Kitt, overlooking Nevis. I'm sailing on the Empress of the Seas in October, and will be there. I can't wait. Hoping to take the Railway trip while there.

Bas7, the pics from St Kitts are #DSCN1075-1128. I'm not sure if the Railway Tour will take you down to the Turtle Beach area. We had a private tour with another couple that set it up. Our tour guide was Ilva.

AltaJoe,

Thanks for that info. Have to do some research on whether or not both the St. Kitt Railway tour, and Turtle Bay, can be done on the same day. I'm thinking probably not. Will have to save Turtle Bay for my next cruise, unless for some reason, the Railway tour either doesn't operate on Fridays, which was stated on the Railway site. However, I did e-mail them, and they said they would be operating. Otherwise it will be Turtle Bay for sure.

Having grown up on the concrete streets of New York City, I really thought DSCN1128 was a real hoot. I got a good laugh from that shot. Now, did you put that bucket on his or hers head? Only kidding. Great Shot. Don't know how I happened to miss that one. Probably looking at your Hitchcockian shot , with those great picturesque mountains of Nevis in the background. Also DSCN1100, looked to me like Brimstone Hill Fortress, only because I saw that cannon, so I'm only guessing. And DSCN1133, doesn't matter whether it is a sunrise or sunset. It's just perfect.

Thanks again,

Best,

Bruce

Holland America, ms Volendam, December 16th, 2004, 11 Day, Southern Carribean

Holland America, ms Zuiderdam, April 9th, 2005, 7 Night, Eastern Carribean

And Soon To Sail on RCCL, Empress of the Seas, October 10th, 2005

Hi Dan,

Thanks for taking the time to post your great review. We’ll be sailing the same Empress 11-night on Dec. 5th.

Concerning the new way they handled your luggage…”they collected it at the airport, put it into a big moving style van...and that was the last we saw it until it arrived in our cabin.” Does this mean you retrieved your luggage at the San Juan Airport & took it outside to the van yourself? Then you boarded another vehicle for the ride to the ship? You did NOT have to claim it again at the Port. :D That would be a nice improvement.

What was the luggage procedure at the end of the cruise? Thanks much for your help.

Take care,

Suzy B

Hi Dan,

Thanks for taking the time to post your great review. We’ll be sailing the same Empress 11-night on Dec. 5th.

Concerning the new way they handled your luggage…”they collected it at the airport, put it into a big moving style van...and that was the last we saw it until it arrived in our cabin.” Does this mean you retrieved your luggage at the San Juan Airport & took it outside to the van yourself? Then you boarded another vehicle for the ride to the ship? You did NOT have to claim it again at the Port. :D That would be a nice improvement.

What was the luggage procedure at the end of the cruise? Thanks much for your help.

Take care,

Suzy B

That is correct, we claimed our baggage in San Juan, walked outside the terminal. A porter was waiting next to a box van, where it was loaded up for us. The next time we saw it was right after dinner, outside our cabin. It made check in SOOOOO much smoother!

At the end of the cruise, however, we had to claim our luggage in the big open warehouse in the cruise terminal, for customs inspection, so it's the same as all the other cruises I've been on on the way back to the airport.

Great pictures, Dan, thanks for the review. We saw the Empress in Key West over Memorial Day weekend and it brought back memories. I chuckled a little at your reference to her as a relic and being so small, because my wife and I traveled to Miami in 1990 before we moved here. On that trip we saw the Empress (in its first weeks of cruising) at the port and it was the largest, newest ship there! In the midst of about 5 ships was the tiny, old Britanis. Our first cruise, a couple years later, was on the Regent Star--37 years old at the time and we have since cruised on the 50 year-old Regal Empress. We have found each interesting and unique, spices up cruising. Glad you had a good cruise despite the nasty virus.

Rod

When in February 2006 did you book? There is a group of us going on Feb. 27th...If that is when you are going on the Empress, please come and join our thread and Meet and Mingle.....

Jane

Archived