Back from the Gironde

pacmom

AHHHH!!!! River cruising as it was about 12 years ago--uncrowded rivers. We are so glad we went this year, before the crowds start. This trip was with Road Scholar--had a land portion as well. Will only concentrate on the cruise. CroisiEurope's new MS Cyrano deBergerac is very south of France---lots of blue and white. Cabins white walls and blue and white curtains and bedspread. We were on the main deck--able to open windows. For those not with our group, excursions were not included, but available at an extra charge. There were only a few staff whose English was good. Most of the staff was either from Hungary or Portugal.

Our group leader is a world famous wine expert, Mary Chantal LeBourq. She is also the founder of the wine museum in Bordeaux. Our days started with a buffet breakfast--geared toward the Europeans on board--eggs not really good--wonderful breads and pastries. Then we had a lecture and a wine tasting--just the 19 of us. Lunch was plated--no choices, unless you couldn't eat it--then they would substitute. After lunch we would leave for visits to 2 chateaus and more wine tastings. Back for dinner, again no choice. Wine flowed freely at both lunch and dinner. There was onboard entertainment most nites including a crew show. The nite they were serving rabbit, DH and I went out to a lovely restaurant near the boat in Borge--had a great pizza. We spent 4 nites docked in Bordeaux with trip to nearby areas during the day. On one day that we were returning to Bordeaux, we sailed all the way out to the coast and the ocean could be seen.

Next year at least 2 more lines will sail the itinerary and the small towns will be overwhelmed. The wine chateaus are not just off the boat and mean a bus trip usually not long. The only long one was to ST.Emilion--worth every minute on the bus. If you want to sail this itinerary, remember that July and August are Vacation time for the French and these are vacation destinations. Happy to answer any questions, Pat

PS We all said we were going home to "dry out".

AHHHH!!!! River cruising as it was about 12 years ago--uncrowded rivers. We are so glad we went this year, before the crowds start. This trip was with Road Scholar--had a land portion as well. Will only concentrate on the cruise. CroisiEurope's new MS Cyrano deBergerac is very south of France---lots of blue and white. Cabins white walls and blue and white curtains and bedspread. We were on the main deck--able to open windows. For those not with our group, excursions were not included, but available at an extra charge. There were only a few staff whose English was good. Most of the staff was either from Hungary or Portugal.

Our group leader is a world famous wine expert, Mary Chantal LeBourq. She is also the founder of the wine museum in Bordeaux. Our days started with a buffet breakfast--geared toward the Europeans on board--eggs not really good--wonderful breads and pastries. Then we had a lecture and a wine tasting--just the 19 of us. Lunch was plated--no choices, unless you couldn't eat it--then they would substitute. After lunch we would leave for visits to 2 chateaus and more wine tastings. Back for dinner, again no choice. Wine flowed freely at both lunch and dinner. There was onboard entertainment most nites including a crew show. The nite they were serving rabbit, DH and I went out to a lovely restaurant near the boat in Borge--had a great pizza. We spent 4 nites docked in Bordeaux with trip to nearby areas during the day. On one day that we were returning to Bordeaux, we sailed all the way out to the coast and the ocean could be seen.

Next year at least 2 more lines will sail the itinerary and the small towns will be overwhelmed. The wine chateaus are not just off the boat and mean a bus trip usually not long. The only long one was to ST.Emilion--worth every minute on the bus. If you want to sail this itinerary, remember that July and August are Vacation time for the French and these are vacation destinations. Happy to answer any questions, Pat

PS We all said we were going home to "dry out".

I'm starting to think Road Scholar is meant to be. I've never even heard of it until last week and here it pops up again! I just have a question about them, which is did you enjoy them? It sounds like you liked the cruise itself, but was this company top notch?

Also, I don't want to be around Mensa type people....is it like that? (nothing against them, so maybe I should say they wouldn't want to be around me! Sometimes I end my sentences in prepositions.) :D

Felicia

Thank you pacmom for sharing your experience about cruising the Gironde.

Would you recommend this itinerary to other river cruisers?

Where does this river cruise rank for you in comparison to the other river cruises you have taken?

Felicia, our group of nineteen was just a small part of the boat--very little interaction with the boat per se except in the dining room. With our own group leader and tours it was just a floating hotel with meals. The previous week to the boat was in the town of Sarlat-le-Canada in the Dordogne valley. What adventures, the caves at Las Caux, a pilgrimage town built into the side of a cliff, cooking demo, and truffle hunting. The 19 of us got along famously--just like we had all been together before. Many had traveled with Road Scholar before and some like us for the first time. We had a retired university president and the historian for the Smithsonian among the rest of us "just plain folk". All of us were well traveled and thoroughtly enjoyed one another's company. Pat

Oysterdam, This was one of the best river cruises we have ever taken--a true learning experience about the Bordeaux area and its wines. If we hadn't been with Road Scholar, we would have waited til next year and Uniworld. CroisiEurope was not catering to Enflish speaking pax on this trip. The staff spoke very little English. Boat brand new and immaculate, but if your cabin wasn't cleaned by 11am, it didn't happen. There was smoking on all outside areas--no nonsmoking area outside anyplace. Staff not restricted to a specific outside area. Two full plated meals at lunch and diner with no choice was also a turnoff. I would recommend traveling the Gironde, but with a company that cater to English speaking pax--unless you pick the marvelous Road Scholar itinerary. Am not bashing CroisiEurope--it is a French line catering more to Europeans. But do go before too many other lines discover this gem--both Uniworld and Viking are entering this market next year. Will be away from the computer for a few days while I recover from some foot surgery. Pat

Nancy and I are on Viking's new Bordeaux itinerary next year in September. This will be our first river cruise experience and we are both excited about visiting such a wonderful area of France.

. . . and I've heard there might be wine involved . . .

Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App

Felicia, our group of nineteen was just a small part of the boat--very little interaction with the boat per se except in the dining room. With our own group leader and tours it was just a floating hotel with meals. The previous week to the boat was in the town of Sarlat-le-Canada in the Dordogne valley. What adventures, the caves at Las Caux, a pilgrimage town built into the side of a cliff, cooking demo, and truffle hunting. The 19 of us got along famously--just like we had all been together before. Many had traveled with Road Scholar before and some like us for the first time. We had a retired university president and the historian for the Smithsonian among the rest of us "just plain folk". All of us were well traveled and thoroughtly enjoyed one another's company. Pat

Well, since you misspelled "thoroughtly", I feel better. ROFL, I'm just kidding around. But seriously, I am glad to hear it's not snooty types, (not that smart people are) - you know what I mean. Your trip sounds like fun! Although I have to ask, what is truffle hunting? Truffles are mushrooms and chocolate. Think I would like hunting for either of them.

Felicia

Felicia, am now pain med free enough to start answering questions again. Truffles are a fungus grown in the ground. In Italy they use pigs to find the truffle. Then humans dig them out of the ground. In France they use dogs. It was a fascinating morning, The market in Sarlat has a lot of truffles and fois gras and chocolate. One other thing about the boat that none of us liked--having to buy coffee or tea at non mealtimes.Pat

• 8 months later...

Hello pacmom,

Your travel company chartered CroisiEurope 's Cyrano de Bergerac? Did you sail the Gironde or just the Garonne and Dordogne? The French actually classify the Gironde as an estuary not a river. Tidal?!

Would you be happy to recall your experiences of this trip?

Perhaps the Viking cruisers may be able to relate this to the current problems. I mean your trip was obviously great. It is not quite clear why the current cruise by Viking is not going well...

One of CroisiEurope's own trips to the area is coming up soon.

notamermaid