Dirty conditions on QM2

dencruise80

I just got back from the 12 day cruise from NYC to Quebec and back on the QM2 which started on Sept. 10. My cabin (5100) was dirty. The floor was never vacuumed. There was never a vacuum in sight on deck 5. The room was infrequently dusted. It seemed to be dusted once.

When the towels were put on the floor the cabin steward put them back on the bar. He did this 5 times!

The towels had stains on them. "New" towels had makeup stains. Pool towels had huge yellow stains on them that covered three quarters of the towel.

The bathroom flowed unto the carpet in the hall outside of 5096 and it was never cleaned up. It stayed that way, slowly getting less wet over 4 days.

What is happening to the Queen Mary 2? Are these isolated incidents?

It does not seem as if the head housekeeper inspects the rooms or the halls any longer. The ship is in shambles.

Of course people are getting sick in these conditions.

And let's not start on the broken chairs all over the ship, and doors that slam because the door closers do not work.

Maybe they need a new head housekeeper.

There were many nice aspects to this cruise, but cleanliness and the maintenance of the ship were not what they should be.

I just got back from the 12 day cruise from NYC to Quebec and back on the QM2 which started on Sept. 10. My cabin (5100) was dirty. The floor was never vacuumed. There was never a vacuum in sight on deck 5. The room was infrequently dusted. It seemed to be dusted once.

When the towels were put on the floor the cabin steward put them back on the bar. He did this 5 times!

The towels had stains on them. "New" towels had makeup stains. Pool towels had huge yellow stains on them that covered three quarters of the towel.

The bathroom flowed unto the carpet in the hall outside of 5096 and it was never cleaned up. It stayed that way, slowly getting less wet over 4 days.

It does not seem as if the head housekeeper inspects the rooms or the halls any longer. The ship is in shambles.

And let's not start on the broken chairs all over the ship, and doors that slam because the door closers do not work.

There were many nice aspects to this cruise, but cleanliness and the maintenance of the ship were not what they should be.

thanks for your comments. An overflowing bathroom is an unhealthy

condition.

I was onboard the July 4,Halifax cruise. 2013.. Things looked ok.

I am not so happy with Kings Court. I think it needs some changes.

I can't correlate the QM2 of my experience with the QM2 you experienced. The ship has never been anything but sparkling clean whenever I've been on board.

Vacuum cleaners were visible and audible in Feb & March of this year on decks 5 & 9, so I'm surprised to hear that their use has (reportedly) been discontinued.

I can (sort of) relate to your complaint with regards to the state of the rooms upon embarkation. I have sometimes found that the rooms are never cleaned as scrupulously as they are on non-embarkation days. The reasons for this are obvious so I won't go into them.

I can't correlate the QM2 of my experience with the QM2 you experienced. The ship has never been anything but sparkling clean whenever I've been on board.

Vacuum cleaners were visible and audible in Feb & March of this year on decks 5 & 9, so I'm surprised to hear that their use has (reportedly) been discontinued.

I can (sort of) relate to your complaint with regards to the state of the rooms upon embarkation. I have sometimes found that the rooms are never cleaned as scrupulously as they are on non-embarkation days. The reasons for this are obvious so I won't go into them.

hi Whitemarsh, I agree with you about the vacuum. But the over flow of the bathroom on to the floor is not all that healthy.

We need Joan Crawford to clean those bathrooms. (She was reported to

do that on the s/s United States)

T;)

Our experience on two crossings this summer was very different. Our room was always clean, the towels changed when we left them on the shower floor, and vacuums seemed well nigh ubiquitous. Everywhere we turned, the crew was hard at work keeping everything as clean as possible. In short, the ship was anything but in a shambles.

Did you speak to your steward about your concerns? If you did and you weren't satisfied with his response, did you take your complaints to the purser's office? I would think that an overflowing bathroom would demand immediate attention.

Something like that would have motivated me to contact housekeeping instead of just sucking it up for 12 days.

Not something I experienced, but again I would have taken it to housekeeping the second time it happened and obviously wasn't just an oversight.

Wow. I got snowy white towels in PG but through everyone else got the same bathroom towels. The ones I saw on the pool deck looked clean to me and passengers were using them. I sure would not use towels that look as bad as the ones you found.

You saw raw sewage and didn't call - especially with Noro going around? I'm lost on how such a health hazard would go unattended.

I was on board for three weeks just in July. OK, I was PG but didn't hear anything like the incidents you describe here.

Not what I observed. The public areas looked well maintained just two months ago.

If what you describe did happen, yes, for sure.

There are complaints of broken chairs in Illuminations but not elsewhere. There must have been some rough incident to have, over two months time, "broken chairs all over the ship". Door closers not working are, however a serious problem as there would be needed to control spread of smoke in the case of a shipboard fire. Cadets are sent to check this when there is a fire door drill. Any mention to the Purser that this problem needs to be corrected?

Your careful and diligent powers of observation would make you an excellent candidate for this position.

Given all that your found wrong, it was amazing that you found something positive to take from this voyage. BTW, how was the dining experience?

I'm sorry you encountered such poor maintenance and housekeeping on your voyage. I'm just floored to think things could have deteriorated so badly in just two months time.

hi Whitemarsh, I agree with you about the vacuum. But the over flow of the bathroom on to the floor is not all that healthy.

We need Joan Crawford to clean those bathrooms. (She was reported to

do that on the s/s United States)

T;)

And I agree with you about the overflow from the bathroom. But as Thaxted has just asked, if it wasn't fixed immediately did anyone report it? If (upon it being reported) it was not immediately fixed, did anyone follow it up and speak to someone from the Pursers desk?

Overflowing pipes cause considerable damage. I find it hard to imagine that overflowing pipes were left to overflow at will because the staff refused to fix them - either because they didn't care or because they'd been instructed (in the latest Cunard staff conspiracy or "scam") :rolleyes: to reply "We cannot help you at this time".

I'm sorry you encountered such poor maintenance and housekeeping on your voyage. I'm just floored to think things could have deteriorated so badly in just seven weeks time.

Is it so surprising? Considering the contempt with which a lot of regular Cunard-forum contributors seem to hold the staff (accusing them of "bullying", "lying" and attempting to "scam" passengers - or "innocents" if you prefer) it would seem that reports of the cleaning staff not using vacuum cleaners, and leaving overflowing pipes to burst and flood at will, are just yet more allegations of criminal and negligent behaviour that some on here seem to love hurling at Cunard staff.

Is it so surprising? Considering the contempt with which a lot of regular Cunard-forum contributors seem to hold the staff (accusing them of "bullying", "lying" and attempting to "scam" passengers - or "innocents" if you prefer) it would seem that reports of the cleaning staff not using vacuum cleaners, and leaving overflowing pipes to burst and flood at will, is just yet more allegations of criminal and negligent behaviour that some on here seem to love hurling at Cunard staff.

hi Whitemarsh I don't know about these accusations to Cunard . I do know that we love the QM2 and want to protect her.

The staff is 5 star. The QM2 is our ship and we should sail on her asap!

T;)

BlueRiband, I called the purser about the leak in the hall as soon as I observed it. As I said, it started drying up. It was not a continuous leak. But, no one cleaned it.

I did not complain about the room steward at first because I did not want to get him to be fired. Then, when it continued and got worse, I began to think it could get worse for me if I asked for a different steward. I imagined the steward mafia. (a joke)

On previous trips, everything was clean. I remember great Stewards like Reneeboy.

The door closers that I was referring to are the ones on the room and balcony doors. Maybe they are not called door closers. The mechanism that slowly closes the door to prevent noise.

The pool towels were in my room, not on the pool deck.

The chairs mentioned are the larger chairs from before the last renovation which they brought back. People were complaining about the new smaller chairs and they brought back some chairs that they did not clean or reupholster. And, of course the Illuminations chairs need repair.

The food was very good because I had a wonderful waiter and waiter's supervisor who, because I have diabetes and allergies, special ordered all of my food. They gave me the menu the night before and we went over what I could eat and how they could change the food so that I could eat it.

I completely regulate my diabetes with diet and it works like a charm. I am sure it is a strain on others since I do not eat any sugar or flour.

They could not have been better. They knew what I could eat and helped me out greatly. The waiter is Romulo Almario and the Supervisor is Oprea Viorel. They were spectacular.

We did not put down deposits for a future voyage, as we did before.

BTW, I took the Ipad classes. They were informative and I recommend them.

Is it so surprising? Considering the contempt with which a lot of regular Cunard-forum contributors seem to hold the staff (accusing them of "bullying", "lying" and attempting to "scam" passengers - or "innocents" if you prefer) it would seem that reports of the cleaning staff not using vacuum cleaners, and leaving overflowing pipes to burst and flood at will, are just yet more allegations of criminal and negligent behaviour that some on here seem to love hurling at Cunard staff.

Wow, that is over the top. I have never had anything but good service on QM2 before now. The reality is that the ship is deteriorating because of people not caring and Cunard looking at the bottom line instead of providing the same level of service that seemed minimal not so long ago.

hi Whitemarsh I don't know about these accusations to Cunard . I do know that we love the QM2 and want to protect her.

The staff is 5 star. The QM2 is our ship and we should sail on her asap!

T;)

Sorry, I didn't realise you haven't read the 'Photographers' thread. The accusations are outlined here & here.

I'm glad there's at least one other person out there that likes QM2, sometimes it seems like she and her staff are under continual attack, what with the never-ending allegations that she's not an ocean liner and that her staff commit "fraud" and "bully" passengers.

It's quite sad really.

Wow, that is over the top. I have never had anything but good service on QM2 before now. The reality is that the ship is deteriorating because of people not caring and Cunard looking at the bottom line instead of providing the same level of service that seemed minimal not so long ago.

It is over the top, I agree with you. However they're not my allegations.

Judging from what we read here on Cruise Critic, with regards to QM2, we're facing:

1) a rapidly deteriorating ship in which plumbing issues aren't fixed and vacuum cleaners are no longer in use.

2) staff that "bully", "lie", "scam" and commit "fraudulent" acts against passengers (or innocents if you prefer).

I do think perhaps we feel a little intimidated into reporting service issues when we know we are going to be "stuck" with that stateroom attendant for the whole of the cruise. I think I would have left the issue for perhaps 2 days (towels etc) but after that, calling housekeeping or even going to the service desk.

We had issues with dreadful service at an hotel - and we contacted the front desk by phone to no avail. We were just about ready to take our sheets to the front desk for all to see, but things got sorted just before we needed to do that.

And you really don't want to be in the bad graces of a room attendant - at the same time - well, we do pay a service charge plus the usual cost of the cruise so....

The overflowing pipe = sewage = instant report and escalation esp when Noro is visiting.

I did not complain about the room steward at first because I did not want to get him to be fired. Then, when it continued and got worse, I began to think it could get worse for me if I asked for a different steward...

If he's doing his job as poorly as you describe he ought to be fired.

And I agree with you about the overflow from the bathroom. But as Thaxted has just asked, if it wasn't fixed immediately did anyone report it? If (upon it being reported) it was not immediately fixed, did anyone follow it up and speak to someone from the Pursers desk?

Overflowing pipes cause considerable damage. I find it hard to imagine that overflowing pipes were left to overflow at will because the staff refused to fix them - either because they didn't care or because they'd been instructed (in the latest Cunard staff conspiracy or "scam") :rolleyes: to reply "We cannot help you at this time".

I totally agree about the risk of a broken or overflowing pipe, but I find it hard to believe that it was ignored by Cunard staff.

We did an eastbound crossing in July, and a westbound 5 weeks later, the same crossings that Thaxted also traveled on. The only evidence of poor housekeeping we witnessed was in the Kings Court, where tables were not cleared or wiped properly. Our stewards were excellent and our staterooms kept spotless. I often witnessed them wiping down the hallway walls, or using a special tool to clean the carpet where it met the baseboards. Every other area, except for Kings Court, was spotless, well maintained, and with furniture in good repair. I find it hard to believe that the QM2 could deteriorate in three weeks!

Ricki

Yeah, but as a passenger you are stuck with him until he can disembark.

Not necessarily. I once had cause to complain about a waiter in the QGL, who also worked in the Princess Grill. After registering my complaint (which I will not go into here) I was informed that he would no longer work in the QGL whilst I was on board and I was given the option of him not returning to the Princess Grill either, for the remainder of my cruise.

Good evening, dencruise80:

The ship you describe is the complete opposite of what was our experience on the QM2 this past May. I'm sorry that your experience was so very different from ours.

Our towels got changed daily and their replacements were spotless. Our bed always was made up in a quick fashion. It seemed that whenever we left our cabin that our steward popped in to make sure the covers were neat and tidy and the room spotless. It got to be a joke between my husband and myself as I kept saying to him, "Do not expect this type of service to continue at home!" :D

The ship was in great condition and didn't spot or sit in any broken chairs and I witnessed much vacuuming going on through out the ship during the day in the different hallways. It got to be too chilly for me to walk outside on some days, so I did my walking through the different decks and up and down the stairs. The crew always seemed to be polishing the handrails and cleaning the windows, the baseboards, etc.

We all love to get on board the ship as fast as possible when we are embarking and I often wonder how the crew can get the cabins as clean as they do with so little time between those who disembark and those who are embarking. I'm always amazed that our luggage beats us to our cabin by 1 p.m. On other ships we travel on it can take till 6 p.m. for our suitcases to appear.

Carolyn (editor Cruise Critic) was on the ship for a crossing in September and in her post #51 on the 4th of September she had this to say:

*The ship’s public rooms look absolutely gorgeous. Haven’t seen a spot that doesn’t feel fresh and well cared-for. You’d never know Queen Mary 2 is almost 10.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1907006&page=3

We were on Deck 4 in-hull cabin so we were not in a Grill cabin but we felt we received Grill service especially from our room steward and those we contacted for help or advice.

I'm not a 'rose coloured glasses' type person where dirt is concerned (my husband will attest to that fact :-), so I really notice if a place is not kept up as one would expect.

I do believe that if your room steward was so poor and you asked and did not receive better service at that point you should contact their Superior and ask for the problem to be resolved. There will always be people who excel at their job and a few who do not, we have been very fortunate to have gotten the former and I'm sorry you appear to have gotten the latter.

It would really sadden me to see the QM2 in the condition you mention, as she is a beautiful ship and on our crossings she has always appeared to get the care and attention worthy of such a wonderful ship.

best regards,

seasidegal

Having been on the same cruise as the OP, I can confirm that cabins were not vacuumed (Hoovered). Stanely, our very excellent cabin steward, explained to us that due to the "conditions of the situation", stewards were not allowed to vacuum. (No staff member that I spoke to used the words 'code red' or 'noro virus'.)

My husband and I were sitting on our balcony one afternoon when Stanley was cleaning our cabin. We saw him picking up crumbs and threads off the carpet, and wondered why he just didn't use the vacuum. At the end of the cruise, he explained about use of the vacuum not being permitted, that he tried his best to do his job well. I can only imagine how over-loaded the ships laundry was during this voyage. Or for that matter, was there a department that was not over burdened? (A glimmer of humour when a bartender said that the sommeliers have the least to complain about working extra hours.)

I can also relate to pool towels being problematic. I picked one up from the stacked pile at the Pavillion Pool and wrapped it around myself after getting out of the pool (before code red was in place). Bright red stains on the towel hung about my neck were reflected in the mirror when I returned to my cabin...I'd like to think of those stains as being caused a spilled frozen strawberry daquiri as opposed to a gangland killing.

BTW, I was on the 5night QM2 July cruise. And yes, there was an amazing difference between that cruise and this Sept cruise: compare the fares. The July cruise historically is not heavily discounted, unlike this Sept cruise.

When fares are cut to the bone, passengers should not be suprised when services are also reduced. And several passengers I spoke with thought they got a good deal at the price they paid; they were happy with the cruise. A few said that if they saw those bargains again, they'd sail with Cunard again - but it just wasn't worth booking prior to final payment date.

Other factors such as the stress put on the crew due the "situation" from the laundry room up, working extra hours with little or no port time, dealing with unhappy/ill passengers, many who are Cunard newbies...you get the picture, right?

OP: We didn't purchase a future cruise credit either - for what would have been our 13th cruise on QM2.

Anyway, please don't blame the steward for not vacuuming the cabins when Code Red is in effect. Thanks.

Regards,

Salacia

Having been on the same cruise as the OP, I can confirm that cabins were not vacuumed (Hoovered). Stanely, our very excellent cabin steward, explained to us that due to the "conditions of the situation", stewards were not allowed to vacuum. (No staff member that I spoke to used the words 'code red' or 'noro virus'.)

My husband and I were sitting on our balcony one afternoon when Stanley was cleaning our cabin. We saw him picking up crumbs and threads off the carpet, and wondered why he just didn't use the vacuum. At the end of the cruise, he explained about use of the vacuum not being permitted, that he tried his best to do his job well. I can only imagine how over-loaded the ships laundry was during this voyage. Or for that matter, was there a department that was not over burdened? (A glimmer of humour when a bartender said that the sommeliers have the least to complain about working extra hours.)

I can also relate to pool towels being problematic. I picked one up from the stacked pile at the Pavillion Pool and wrapped it around myself after getting out of the pool (before code red was in place). Bright red stains on the towel hung about my neck were reflected in the mirror when I returned to my cabin...I'd like to think of those stains as being caused a spilled frozen strawberry daquiri as opposed to a gangland killing.

BTW, I was on the 5night QM2 July cruise. And yes, there was an amazing difference between that cruise and this Sept cruise: compare the fares. The July cruise historically is not heavily discounted, unlike this Sept cruise.

When fares are cut to the bone, passengers should not be suprised when services are also reduced. And several passengers I spoke with thought they got a good deal at the price they paid; they were happy with the cruise. A few said that if they saw those bargains again, they'd sail with Cunard again - but it just wasn't worth booking prior to final payment date.

Other factors such as the stress put on the crew due the "situation" from the laundry room up, working extra hours with little or no port time, dealing with unhappy/ill passengers, many who are Cunard newbies...you get the picture, right?

OP: We didn't purchase a future cruise credit either - for what would have been our 13th cruise on QM2.

Anyway, please don't blame the steward for not vacuuming the cabins when Code Red is in effect. Thanks.

Regards,

Salacia

Salacia,

Right!

I always feel so bad for the crew who have to work so many extra and long hours to keep the ship running as well as can be expected during these type of norovirus outbreaks.

best regards,

seasidegal

What would be the rational for not vacuuming because of Noro? Did the steward explain it to you Salacia?

This is a new one (to me) as Noro was on board back in Feb this year and the vacuums were still being used.

Steam cleaners can be used but dry vacuum cleaning is not recommended unless fitted with a hepa filter, otherwise the vacuum does not trap the virus but just blows the particles of virus about.

http://www.hpa.org.uk/webc/HPAwebFile/HPAweb_C/1206520183347

See page 37.

Steam cleaners can be used but dry vacuum cleaning is not recommended unless fitted with a hepa filter, otherwise the vacuum does not trap the virus but just blows the particles of virus about.

http://www.hpa.org.uk/webc/HPAwebFile/HPAweb_C/1206520183347

See page 37.

Oh okay, that's understandable. Thank you for providing the explanation.

I was on board the QM2 for the July 4th ,New England/Canada cruise.

The ship, the cruise were magnificent ...

How can a ship fall apart in a few months? LOL

Too much negative thoughts

Oh okay, that's understandable. Thank you for providing the explanation.

Hi Whitemarsh.. it seems that there alot of critics here and they are over the "TOP" and want the demise of the QM2. thank you for being aware and informing us

The QM2 is the best ship aflot.

I am looking forward to my next voyage on the QM2

Archived