Gov't shutdown impacting departure and arrival times

I depart on the Allure this weekend and I just received a text last night telling me that because of the gov't shutdown the customs and boarder protection staff have been affected, creating a longer immigration processing time for departing guests, so the ship has experienced a later clearance time for arriving guests.

They told me to not get to the port before 12:30. I assume this is because many people will not have gotten off the ship on time, so the taxi and parking will be still flooded with those getting off the ship.

I have cruised around 40 times, so I am familiar with the general boarding times, regardless of what the cruise lines say.

Anyone actually arrive or depart on a cruise DURING THE GOVERNMENT SHUTDOWN? If yes, how much of a delay did you experience?

Hmm, so it has nothing to do with the recent government shutdown?

I have sailed on the Allure twice before (last time a year ago, last week) and never received such a text.

Wondering whether I should delay my arrival or just ignore this "advice."

Hmm, so it has nothing to do with the recent government shutdown?

I have sailed on the Allure twice before (last time a year ago, last week) and never received such a text.

Wondering whether I should delay my arrival or just ignore this "advice."

Those messages about delaying embarkation have been going on since the goverment sequestration began back in January. So far, I don't believe anyone has reported any embarkation delays.

I depart on the Allure this weekend and I just received a text last night telling me that because of the gov't shutdown the customs and boarder protection staff have been affected, creating a longer immigration processing time for departing guests, so the ship has experienced a later clearance time for arriving guests.

They told me to not get to the port before 12:30. I assume this is because many people will not have gotten off the ship on time, so the taxi and parking will be still flooded with those getting off the ship.

I have cruised around 40 times, so I am familiar with the general boarding times, regardless of what the cruise lines say.

Anyone actually arrive or depart on a cruise DURING THE GOVERNMENT SHUTDOWN? If yes, how much of a delay did you experience?

So far so good, no problems yet.

They have been sending those out for the Allure/Oasis for a few months now. Boarding should begin around 11:30 -12:00

You may be thinking about the notice that was sent out about the check in times for deck assignments. It is because they are trying to ease the congestion and control the flow of passengers coming through the check in area.

I know for a fact that the folks at RCCL picking up the phones were NOT made aware of these calls (or may have knowingly deny such practice). I called them last night and the lady said so.

Meanwhile, the email was from a mass notification company called Everbridge. So RCCL must have contracted them to do this deed.

You may be thinking about the notice that was sent out about the check in times for deck assignments. It is because they are trying to ease the congestion and control the flow of passengers coming through the check in area.

Ever since Sequestration, they have been sending notices of delayed embarkation on Oasis/Allure. Their reasoning behind it was delayed Customs clearance from the previous cruise due to a shortage in manpower. While this may have happened once or twice, it hasn't been the norm, and most people have reported on-time embarkations.

Archived