Undecided- Cozumel Bar Hop or Carnival's Mexican Cuisine Cooking/Tasting

Jimmy Jams

Hi everybody, tried posting this on a couple of the other boards with no luck, so I am trying here too... I am looking to get a little input on what I should be doing in Cozumel. I know the 2 excursions I posted are very far from similar, so bare with me.

I am going on my first solo cruise in Feb. I enjoy cooking and think I would really like the Mexican Cuisine Cooking/Tasting excursion that Carnival offers, but since I am going to be by myself, would that take away from the experience? It seems like this excursion would generally be better for groups of people to go together, but here are a few questions for anyone who has done the cooking one:

1. Would I be likely to be the only solo on this one?

2. Assuming there are other solos, would I be paired up with them for the cooking or would it be more likely to go at it alone?

3. Are the staff chefs pretty good with helping everybody out? While I enjoy cooking, I am by no means an expert.

My other option, which is far different is the Bar Hop. This one is pretty self explanatory and should work fine for a solo I would imagine based on the reviews I have read.

So, I have a choice, and am looking for a little feedback from anyone in the know before I make a decision.

Thanks!

I just did the Mexican Cuisine/Tasting a month ago. You are paired with another person to cook. I don't know if there were any solos, but the class usually sells out.

The cooking part of it is very easy and simple. The chef goes to everyone's station and tells them when it's good to go. Also, the food you end up cooking is amazing.

Also, the open bar helps. You can turn it into the excursion version of the youtube series "my drunk kitchen" if you want.

My partner and I did the Mexican cooking excursion and loved it.

You are paired up, but it's a great way to meet new people.

There are 4 cooks per station, you and your partner.. and another pair.

The food was great, drinks were constantly coming and the beach time afterwards was a great way to cap off the excursion.

Do it!

My partner and I did the Mexican cooking excursion and loved it.

You are paired up, but it's a great way to meet new people.

There are 4 cooks per station, you and your partner.. and another pair.

The food was great, drinks were constantly coming and the beach time afterwards was a great way to cap off the excursion.

Do it!

Thanks for the input, and the photos as well. I really can't find anyone that has not enjoyed it. I think I'll have to go for it.

Hi. I have done the Mexican cooking class four (4) times, each solo. Had a fantastic time. DO IT! You will make new friends. I will do this again too.:D

Good to hear there are other solos out there doing this. That makes my decision a lot easier! Thanks.

My vote is for the Bar Hop. My husband and I did that a couple years ago and we really enjoyed it. We ordered food from 2/4 stops just to try local food and it was good. The stops were nice and on the beach. The price was good.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Surfjock, thanks for the great pictures! I've done the Bar Hop 3 times and always had a great time...I was drinking water by the 3rd bar--drinks are strong!

Last week I had an excursion credit so I booked the Eat and walk tour instead of the cooking tour. Mine was cancelled! Next trip I'll do the cooking excursion.

I know they probably use purified water, but I dont' eat anything in mexico. I know it's one of those things where places like that dont usually have to worry about it... but I stick to the bottled drinks, no ice, on the crawls, I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Surfjock, thanks for the great pictures! I've done the Bar Hop 3 times and always had a great time...I was drinking water by the 3rd bar--drinks are strong!

Last week I had an excursion credit so I booked the Eat and walk tour instead of the cooking tour. Mine was cancelled! Next trip I'll do the cooking excursion.

Guy who has been doing cook class is loads of fun.

I have not had the pleasure of doing the cooking tour, but I have done the bar hop five times already and looking at doing it in March..I always enjoy it and have met some really cool people on the tour. The East side of the island is really gorgeous. I am sure you will enjoy which ever one you decide on.

I did the Cooking excursion as a single on my honeymoon (long story):rolleyes: but had the best time! Many took me under their wing and made sure everyone was involved - also the chef was sure to include me in everything....

For those who have done the cooking excursion multiple times - does the menu change?

I know they probably use purified water, but I dont' eat anything in mexico. I know it's one of those things where places like that dont usually have to worry about it... but I stick to the bottled drinks, no ice, on the crawls, I'd rather be safe than sorry.

That's a shame. You are missing out on some fantastic food!

That's a shame. You are missing out on some fantastic food!

Well where I live I can get all the same food. There's a lot of immigrants here so I get the actual authentic Mexican food if I can get someone who speaks Spanish to come with

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk