Salerno to Pompeii - DIY

San01

Hi

We are a family of 4 who wish to DIY from the port in August to Pompeii.

I have seen lots of posts from Naples to Pompeil, but not Salerno.

Can anyone advise how to do this, whether by bus or Train.

Our boat docks at 7am, so i am aware due to the heat we need to get there first thing in the morning.

Maybe someone knows of a nice beach to goto after.

Any advice would be much appreciated,

First you need to get to the Salerno Centrale train station, which is about two and a quarter miles from the cruise port, so a bus or a taxi is probably required.

From Salerno Centrale you take a regional train - if you can get there in time there is a 7:45 AM train that arrives in Pompei at 8:29. From the train station in Pompei you can walk or take a taxi to one of two different entrances to the ruins. Piazza Anfiteatro is a half mile from the train station, the Villa dei Misteri entrance is 1.1 miles away.

On this map of Pompei you can find the Trenitalia train station at the bottom of the D6 quadrant in Piazza XXVIII Marzo. The Anfiteatro entrance to the ruins is in quadrant C4, the Villa dei Misteri/Porta Marina entrance is at C2.

http://unicocampania.it/files/mappe/pompei.pdf

Edited by euro cruiser

Thank you for the information.

Does anyone know how much a taxi is from port to station is, just so that I have an idea?

You probably won't find any taxi's waiting at the port in Salerno. If I were you, I'd hire a car for the day. Then they can also take you to Herculaneum.

How long did you stand and wait?

I didn't mean that buses are idling waiting to take cruise passengers to the train station, but that there is a bus line that connects the two points.

Edited to add: there are actually four different lines that run along Via Ligea, any one of them will take you to the Corcordia stop on the waterfront, which is only three blocks from the train station.

A private car service is lovely for those who can afford it, not everyone has that ability or chooses to spend their vacation dollars that way. That doesn't make either way right or wrong, just different.

Edited by euro cruiser

Last November 2013 there was a free port shuttle.

There were also taxis at the port.

See also this CC post by another cruiser who has photos of the walk in Pompei rom the train station to the archaeological site.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=39631292&postcount=255

The name of the city of Pompei only has one letter i -remember to check for this single i spelling when looking at the Trenitalia site. You must also check "tutti treni" or "all trains".

Thank you for all replies.

We will get the shuttle bus as it seems it is only a few mins walk from where they drop you off to the train station.

Plan B if shuttles to busy will be to get the bus.

Does anyone know where I look for a bus timetable and exactly where we get the bus?

Thank you again for all help, it is much appreciated.

The bus stops are along Via Ligea. There are several different buses that all travel along this road (along the waterfront). You want the first one that arrives that stops at the Concordia stop, which is just a few blocks from the train station.

If there isn't a sign board at the stop simply ask the driver if he/she stops at Concordia.

If you really want to do the research, here is where you'll find the bus schedules: http://www.cstp.it/v2/orariurbanesalerno.html