Navigating GC For First Timers, help please.

RCmommy

We are in GC on April 30th. Once we tender in we are walking up to catch a bus to the turtle farm. Most likely spend 3 hours there at the most.

We then plan to grab a bus back towards the cruise ship terminal area (we are listed as the Royal terminal, but I understand all three are close together?)

We would ideally like to do a few shops (grab a trinket) before heading back for the tenders. If the we manage our time and have no hiccups, is there a beach within walking distance from the tendering area? The kids like to play in the sand and on the beach more than swim in the water - I know we won't have long.

We are in port according to Carnival from 10-6 but the port authority website says 8-4.

I am glad I asked first!

Is there a particular spot along 7 mile beach you would suggest for being close to a bus stop - not a bar type atmosphere because we are traveling with our kids - some where we can spend maybe an hour and then walk right back to catch the bus again to the port?

More importantly, can I rely on the buses to be running that often? Are there designated bust stop areas or do we just wave them down?

http://thebusschedule.com/EN/ky/#.VRMohv0tHct

From Sunsethouse.com:

The bus terminal is located adjacent the Public Library on Edward St. in downtown George Town and serves as the dispatch point for buses to all districts. There are 38 mini-buses operated by 24 licensed operators, serving eight routes. Daily service starts at 6 a.m. from the depot and the schedule is as follows from George Town to:

West Bay – every 15 minutes, 6 a.m. – 11 p.m., Sunday – Thursday; 6 a.m. – midnight, Fri. & Sat. Fare is US$2.50 each way. Bodden Town – Every 30 minutes, 6 a.m. – 11 p.m., Sunday- Thurs.; 6 a.m. – midnight, Fri. & Sat. Fare is US$2.50 each way.

East End and North Side – Every hour, 6 a.m. – 9 p.m., Sunday – Thurs. and Saturday. On Friday, buses will operate until after Midnight. Fare: US$5.00 each way.

The system uses color – coded logos located on the front and rear of buses to identify routes as follows: Route 1 (yellow) and Route 2 (lime green) cover George Town to West Bay; Route 3 (blue) provides service between the depot in George Town and Bodden Town. Route 4 (purple) operates between the depot and East End. Route 5 (red) goes from the depot to East End and North Side. Route 6 (dark green) operates from North Side to West Bay.

Route 7 (dark green with white numbers) is an inter-district service for George Town. Route 8 (orange) runs from the depot to Hutland in North Side. Licensed buses are identified by blue licence plates. To maintain consistency in fares, each bus must display a fare table outlining standard government-authorized fares.

If you've got kids, head to the Public Beach/Calico Jacks section of SMB. There's a playground in addition to the usual facilities, and IMO it's a little more family-friendly than some of the other areas.

• 3 weeks later...
We are thinking about doing the same thing while in port in May. I am hoping that we have time to do both the farm and the beach. Are you planning on doing the whole park pass or just the farm?

We are going to do the front part of the farm (no lagoon or pool with slide)

My kids will be happy just holding the turtles so the lagoon is not a must. A pool they can get anywhere so I think the beach would be better for us.

• 2 months later...
I am visiting GC in November 2015. I am thinking of going to royal palms beach club, has anyone been, did you like it or do you have better suggestion? Also, how far is royal palms from the pier? Thanks in advance!

Royal Palms is a very popular spot. They do have a minimal fee for use of their facilities to allow them to maintain clean restrooms and such for all comers. They have beach chairs for rent, decent food, and a full bar, and an adults-only swimming pool.

Royal Palms is 1.75 miles from the port area. It is the closest major portion of Seven Mile beach to the port with facilities for the cruise ship visitor.

You can easily catch a taxi direct from the port, or a local bus from next to the library in George Town. Easy to flag down a bus for the return trip or else you will likely find a few taxis waiting at Royal Palms for the ride back.