St George's news

modelman

http://bernews.com/2016/05/ncl-st-georges-cruises-new-ferries-more/

Great news all around. New ferries, 12 calls a year at St. George's. I am assuming the calls there will all be on Oceania and Regent, as they have the only ships in the NCLH fleet that can dock there.

The new ferries are good news. The Oceania sailings I have seen are more like a long cruise with a day in Bermuda rather than a Bermuda cruise. And expensive. 8ut it is good for St. George.

I have seen some of the Hamilton calls listed for 2017 and I was surprised. I didn't know some of the ships listed were small enough.

Edited by Charles4515

I have to believe there's a quid pro quo for NCLH to purchase and sponsor two ferries as well as to commit $150,000 per year to improve the cruise guest experience. Some possibilities come to mind:

Are the ferries going to be solely for the use of passengers on the NCLH brand cruise lines? This would provide NCLH with a huge competitive edge.

Is NCLH receiving some type of break on taxes or docking fees?

NCLH is a publicly traded corporation. There has to be something in this deal that NCLH management believes will increase profits .

Edited by njhorseman

From industry sources the majority of the 12 calls on St. George's will actually be new sailings on Oceania for a summer schedule in 2017. While pricier they will be Bermuda sailings, not transats or longer voyages that also stop in Bermuda. As to the ferries, who knows what NCLH is getting. Maybe some preferential docking times / days at Dockyard.

From industry sources the majority of the 12 calls on St. George's will actually be new sailings on Oceania for a summer schedule in 2017. While pricier they will be Bermuda sailings, not transats or longer voyages that also stop in Bermuda. As to the ferries, who knows what NCLH is getting. Maybe some preferential docking times / days at Dockyard.

If those sailings are seven day Bermuda cruises I will take a look at them. Those ships could do both St. George's and Hamilton. Always wanted to try Oceania.

New article this morning.

http://www.royalgazette.com/tourism/article/20160512/cruise-deal-a-renaissance-for-olde-towne

I have to believe there's a quid pro quo for NCLH to purchase and sponsor two ferries as well as to commit $150,000 per year to improve the cruise guest experience. Some possibilities come to mind:

Are the ferries going to be solely for the use of passengers on the NCLH brand cruise lines? This would provide NCLH with a huge competitive edge.

Is NCLH receiving some type of break on taxes or docking fees?

NCLH is a publicly traded corporation. There has to be something in this deal that NCLH management believes will increase profits .

If they additional ferries that are solely for NCL passengers and leave the rest of the schedule intact that would not be a bad thing. That would take pressure off the regular ferries.

If NCL gains a huge competive edge I would expect RCI would have to do something match that competition. So I think it is good news.

Edited by Charles4515