Souvenirs to check out in the Baltics

Before going to the Baltics, I read about the handmade juniper trivets you can buy in Tallinn. They are practical, look and smell great and are easy to pack. I bought several as gifts from a stall at the Sweater Wall market. They cost me 9 euros each--much less than the souvenir stores were charging.

For myself, I buy dishtowels. They are practical, and when I use them, they remind me of where I've been. We also get something we can use as a Christmas ornament. Our tree is full of memories of our travels.

I also like small prints or work from local artists I can frame when I get home, preferably showing something specific to the area.

Fridge magnets - kind off cheesy, but if you're the type that uses them (like we do), they're another daily way to remind you of your travels.

Key fobs - I have a cedar one from Tallinn and a leather Pinocchio from Italy.

Iceland has wool mittens/gloves and ear warmers, from Icewear, that are not significantly expensive and useful even for people that live in warmer climates.

I have a friend that has a shelf of small glass jars that contain rocks, sand, or shells from places she's been.

I try to avoid tchotchkes, as I hate to dust.

For friends, I bring home candy bars. The more inexplicably named or impossible to tell what's in it, the better. It's always fun sharing them to try them out.

We take lots of pictures, and I make a Shutterfly album when we get home. I know that's not what you asked, but it works for me to have great memories of our trip, without cluttering my house with items I don't need.

When I've gone, I tended towards replica Faberge eggs from Russia (the ones with the AMK stamp in them as they're the ones made in Moscow, or so I'm told), wool and linen in Tallinn, and a Buddy Bear if I make it to Berlin.

On our last trip, I also bought a book called "Finnish Nightmares" while in Helsinki. I think there's a little Matti in all of us. :D

We bought a set of Russian Dolls in the port building in St Petersburg and it is the best quality we have seen anywhere. She was very reasonably priced too.

Russian dolls. They come in many sizes and colours. I bought a classic 5 doll set for a young friend, but there are some which go up to 20+ dolls. I also have lacquer boxes with scenes from Russian faiytales, which again come in different shapes and sizes. The more expensives ones have finer detail.

Art glass is very pretty, and a typical handicraft in the Baltic region, however I realise it is not always practical to transport! The other thing to look for are the Flensted mobiles, which I bought at Copenhagen Airport. They come in light, flat boxes in various different designs.

That depends on the size, whether they play music, have pop-ups, or any other intricacies. On my last trip, I saw prices ranging from just under 6,000 to 15,000 rubles, but I didn't look at the very big ones.

The ones without the AMK mark are much cheaper and can be found at the cruise port. However, it is unknown whether they're the same quality, made in Russia or elsewhere, etc.

I'll be looking for traditional head-ware.

I have a collection of traditional hats: an old Soviet Union officers hat; hill-tribe hat from Laos, a good quality Jordanian Keffiyeh, a Moroccan Taqiyah, yamaka from Israel, etc.

I also buy souvenir shot glasses and use them as rinse glasses in the bathroom. I have some on the bathroom window shelf and tell guests to choose one, clean it and use as their rinse glass. They are small, easy to carry and a daily reminder of where I've been.

NorcalBeni