Alaska- What to bring?

travel82

travel82

it depends on how far up you are going, what time of year and what your tolerance to the cold is. the best advice and tips you can get is too go to the port of call section here at the bottom of the message board page and choose alaska. you will see all you need to know. have a great cruise and you will love alaska

DUSTY

Carnival Spirit, 9/10/03 Alaska glacier bay

Carvival Spirit, 5/11/05

Alaska glacier bay again

the key word in preparing for Alaska is layers. dressing in layers is the best way to go. the weather in alaska can vary day by day and city by city. some days it might be downright hot, like sweating hot, and other days it may be really freezing cold and windy. bring clothes that you can easily layer on and peel off depending on the weather conditions. also bring an umbrella as it has a tendency to rain in alaska, on a 7 day cruise you can probably expect 1 day of rain. also bring a scarf, gloves and a ski cap. thats always a good idea for glacier viewing days as getting close to the glaciers, its pretty cold.

whatever you do, go and have fun! alaska is great!

jstducky!

-----------------

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00bfff&cdt=2004;9;11;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

...til 9/04 - Jewel of the Seas - Canada / New England

====================================

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00bfff&cdt=2004;7;10;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

...til 7/04 - Zuiderdam - Western Caribbean

=====================================

7/03 - Zaandam - Alaska

4/03 - Norweigan Star - Hawaii

7/96 - Noordam - Alaska

7/96 - Golden Princess - Alaska

8/94 - Jubilee - Mexican Riviera

<center>

<a href="http://www.escati.com/counter98/free_time_codes.htm">

time98.gif</center>

Bring binoculars.

My best purchase was some heavy duty ponchos. They were great the day we were in Juneau, where it rained all day. I also bought some waterproof Timberland shoes that kept my feet dry. They were comfortable enough to hike in, yet nice enough to wear with khakis on casual nights.

Hi I went on a cruise to alaska for my ninth birthday and my tenth cruise. It was great there and I loved every minute of it but be sure to bring a rain poncho or other rain protection also bring multiple layers the front of the ship is cold

iloveclea

katie

cant wait for caribean princess

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2004;6;26;4;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Film, film and more film. You will not believe the scenery, and you will want to take pictures of everything.

We were adivsed to always have the camera with us, in the event there were whales off the side of the boat. Of course, the one time we didn't have it, was the only time we saw the whales.

Also, don't forget an extra battery for the camera! Take more film that you think you will need. We allotted 2 rolls per day, and then I even had extra. I may be fanatical, but knew that I didn't want to miss a thing. I'd rather of too many pictures of something, than not enough, or miss something completely.

Alaska is a true wonder. Enjoy!

7/02 NCL Wind - Alaska (honeymoon)

7/03 NCL Star -Hawaii (1st anniversary)

10/04 RCI Legend - Panama Canal (just because it's there)

you are right about the film/batteries and taking more pixs than you think you need too. somehow when i packed to come home some of my film accidentally got packed in my checked luggage. all of my whale pixs were ruined. i actually cried. i sure wish i had been more careful and taken more so i might have had a few rolls in my carry-on. live and learn for the next cruise i guess.

DUSTY

Carnival Spirit, 9/10/03 Alaska glacier bay

Carvival Spirit, 5/11/05

Alaska glacier bay again

Sounds like you have already received some really great advice. One thing you can do is read some ships reviews in the review section. That is where we got the best advice. For example-don't bother with a bulky heavy coat but pack plenty of sweathers, a hooded scarf, gloves, waterproof jacket etc. Also waterproof pants for the glaciers.

I did all this and was fine. The only place it is REALLY cold was the glaciers where there is a strong constant windy mist (hense the advice on waterproof pants. Wet blue jeans will make you miserable) Days started out about 35 and got up to 55-60. Our last day in Anchorage before flying home it was actually 75 degrees.

I had a waterproof jacket that was lined with flannel which with a sweather and jeans was fine for the ports-did not need my gloves or scarf. I had a windsuit in that parachute like material that I wore in the glaciers with a sweather over it, plus the jacket, gloves and scarf. I was fine but since then I have seen posts where some had taken silk long underwear and that would probally be a plus because the glaciers are COLD. Fortunately I was on a ship with an Eagle's Nest lounge so I could go in there to look and warm up-but YOU HAVE to be outside at least SOME to hear those glaciers calving to get the whole experience.

For dinner you can bring clothes that are the usual dressy stuff and they don't have to be winter clothes as the dinngrooms and lounges are heated.

Carnival Tropicale 10/15/98 Western Caribbean

RCCL Sovereign of the Seas 11/22/99 Bahamas

Carnival Fascination 09/23/00 Southern caribbean

HAL Statendam 05/20/01 Alaska

RCCL Sovereign of the Seas 11/08/01 Bahamas

Pacific Princess 09/29/02 Bermuda

Carnival Inspiration 12/14/03 Western caribbean

Carnival Miracle 04/09/04 Bahamas

P.S. I forgot those 89 cents disposable Walmart ponchos are great. They fit in your pocket and don't take up the room of a bulky umbrella or a reg. poncho-plus you can just toss them before leaving to come home. They had them in all the ports but instead of paying 89 cents they were like $3.50. That was another tip I got from reading ship reviews.

Carnival Tropicale 10/15/98 Western Caribbean

RCCL Sovereign of the Seas 11/22/99 Bahamas

Carnival Fascination 09/23/00 Southern caribbean

HAL Statendam 05/20/01 Alaska

RCCL Sovereign of the Seas 11/08/01 Bahamas

Pacific Princess 09/29/02 Bermuda

Carnival Inspiration 12/14/03 Western caribbean

Carnival Miracle 04/09/04 Bahamas

yes, yes, the Walmart ponchos..

And I always take 1-2 of the disposable waterproof cameras in case we've got some rain one day and I don't want to get my good camera wet. They take pretty decent pics and I've had them developed onboard before now that airline security stuff is more damaging to film. Sometimes they will let you put them in the basket that doesn't go through x-ray but depends on the TSA agent.

Host Caroline

<font SIZE="1">Join me on the beautiful Diamond Princess in July 2005 for Cruise Critic's Awesome Alaskan Adventure --You'll have a whale of a good time! icon_smile.gif

Sept 04-Royal Hounds Mariner of the Seas

Feb 05-Partae Pirates Carnival Miracle

One can never have too many days at sea..</font>

We went mid June last year and the weather was different nearly every day. Hot, rainy, foggy, warm, windy... so you will need layers of clothing.

We did not take an umbrella as they are just a pain in the butt to have to hold onto and they block other ppl's views too. A rain jacket with hood is a great idea instead. We bought gloves and knit hat in Anchorage and wore them a few times out on deck, when the ship is moving it is very cold and windy.

If you have a pair of binoculars then don't forget to pack them!

I personally found the dining rooms on the ship cool rather than warm and wore a long sleeve top under my blouses in the evening.

Spray your leather shoes with protector before you leave home, it keeps them dry if you get a lot of rain.

Hope this helps,

Kim

Sapphire Princess Roll Call Christmas/New Year Cruise Syd-Auk 23 Dec 2004

My pics from Alaska, June 2003

http://community.webshots.com/user/kimba_99

Archived