Final Four Game?

prpro

As avid hoops fans, my DH and I were wondering if the NCAA final game will be available. We are sailing on the Dawn on Sunday 4/4 and were hoping to catch the finals. As an aside, I am a Duke fan, and he has OK State in the office pool. Any suggestions if the game is not available.

Thanks!

Yeah, I have a Formula 1 race I'd like to watch on Sunday April 4. From what I've read, there are sports bars on these ships with satellite TVs but they have to be 'in range' to pick up the sat signal. Now I'm no genious, but I don't get the signal thing. I mean if JetBlue Airlines can get a signal for their passengers while flying all over the US at 450mph, how can a huge ship with tons of antennae on board not get a similar signal? Aren't these satellites up there in space looking down on all of us at pretty much the same distance??? So I guess I suggest you tape the game and avoid talking about sports until you get home. icon_wink.gif

More anything? More everything!

• 2 years later...

When we were on the inaugural cruise on the Caribbean Princess in April of 2004, We were able to watch the Uconn Women win the championship on the screen in the Explorers Lounge and the next night they showed the Uconn Men's championship game on MUTS. Where is this particular Dawn cruise going. It might have an effect on what they can receive and/or show.

In general big sporting events which the Final Four counts are shown aboard ships if available. Formula 1 doesn't count for cruises in the Caribbean and I imagine Uncle Bernie has the TV rights so complicated for this type of situation that it is not an option

As to why a cruise ship can't pick up to a signal...the satellites are "aimed" to cover a particular part of the planet. to cover a larger portion would require more power and power is a precious commodity aboard a satellite. Also satellites are expensive so there is little incentive to broadcast things that popular to one part of the world to other parts where the interest can be minimal and thusly little profits to be had.

Archived