hiking in Acadia National Park

View First Unread

August 2nd, 2006, 04:56 PM

chicken of the sea

Cool Cruiser

Hiking in Acadia National Park

This October I will be taking my first New England cruise with 3 friends.

When we are in Bar Harbor, Maine we will be doing a private shore excursion to Acadia National Park among other sites. What I'd like to know is if anyone has hiked on their own in Acadia, the trails they hiked, and what they liked/disliked about their chosen trail, along with any other comments about their hiking experience.

I will most likely be limited to a 3-4 mile hike at the most and would like a combination of hiking in the woods as well as hiking near the ocean. Also, would like to avoid the heavy crowds from the cruise ship excursions.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

We just returned from the Maasdam Montreal to Boston cruise. We spent a day in Acadia National Park, having previously visited 4 years ago for a week. One of our favoite trails is around Jordon Pond. It is a relatively easy trail about 3 miles in total. It used to be a more difficult trail but they have replaced much of the rock climbing with wooden planks. It is flat. If you want to do the harder part of the trail first start to your left.

I will most likely be limited to a 3-4 mile hike at the most and would like a combination of hiking in the woods as well as hiking near the ocean. Also, would like to avoid the heavy crowds from the cruise ship excursions.

Thanks!

I was thinking of the same thing. What I am not sure of is whether any of these trails are accessable from downtown Bar Harbor. :confused: Do you need a car to get to the paths?

Here is a nice link with great photos of the trials. I keep refering back to it. http://www.acadiamagic.com/welcome.html

In response to my own concerns regarding access to the various hiking trails w/out a car:

Check out this link.... www.exploreacadia.com It's the free shuttle bus map and routes. Now I can narrow down which trail I may take. I am looking at the Ocean Trail near Sand Beach or Gorham Mountain Trail. Sounds like good views and not so challenging as to need to pack hiking boots.

• 1 month later...

Just back from our trip.....as mentioned, we did take advantage of the shuttle bus. We took the #3 bus to Sand beach.....walked the Ocean Trail to Gorham Mt trial which loops back to Sand Beach. which was supposed to be moderate. It was very rocky, a little steep, and took us about 45 minutes, but trail marked well and the view was awesome. We wore sneakers.

• 3 months later...

Archived