The "Official" LA Area Shuttle Recommendation/Review Thread

Curt Jerome Wild

Which service have you had a positive experience(s) with?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Which service have you had a positive experience(s) with?

• Airport Express
    • Karmel
    • Prime Time
    • Road Runner
    • Super Shuttle
    • Other (let us know what your "other" is below)

Hey everyone!

So let's start a thread where we can recommend and (when you get back) review the various LA area shuttle services.

So first, if you have used one in the past, or use a certain one all the time; and have a postive recommendation, please vote in the poll.

Only vote if you positively recommend that company/service.

That way we'll start getting an idea of which ones do a good job consistently by votes.

Then please add your own experiences (good or bad) in posts below in this thread. And reviews when you get back.

Have at it!

CJW

After bad experiences with Super Shuttle trolling the airport over and over again & Prime Time and Super Shuttle being late for pickups numerous times, a friend recommended Southern California Coach (since bought out by Karmel). Karmel has NEVER been late, in fact always early and prides itself on pre-reservation only. Yes, it is a bit more expensive, however I will take the convenience and the reputation evertime. We have been using them consistantly now for 10 or more years.

If anyone lives in the Ventura County area, I strongly recommend Lloyd's Limousine & Van Service. A little more costly but they pick up everyone at your residence only and not travel to other residences so you basically get the van all to yourself and not have to wait for other people. DH and I have used it not only for flights but down to and from the San Pedro cruise ship terminal. They were always early, courteous and delivered us to our destination on time too. A few times the vans were already being used so they sent the limousine for us and didn't charge extra for it.

We used Super Shuttle's town car service (Ezecucar or something like that), it's a choice on the super shuttle website. It was great. Picks you up at baggage claim at LAX (driver has sign with your name) and off you go in your comfy town car with fresh magazines to read so you don't have to look at the crazy drivers. If you don't know what time you will be off the ship, just call them and they will be there in a jiffy.

I have had both good and bad experiences with every shuttle service...

I think it really depends more on WHICH type of service you pay for as most will offer more than one...ie "shared shuttle" versus "dedicated" shuttle...

Basically, you'll pay a little more to get your OWN shuttle...but you won't have to deal with them circling the airport for a half an hour waiting to fill up the van...

For the most part, when timing is important (and even when it's not) I prefer my own dedicated ride...

Which leads me to my preference over ANY shuttle--to hire a limo or town car...I have found, over the years, that often a limo costs only about the same as a shuttle (or not a substantial amount of difference)...Since you pay by the car, not by the passenger, it especially makes sense when you have 4 in your party...

Limo rates do tend to go up and down at the whim of the provider...and if it's a "special" date (say when the Academy Awards are gioing on or "prom night" for a lot of schools) the rates may be higher...or if the operator just thinks you might be willing to pay more...But, often, they are very competitive...Some run coupons and promotions...

I alwasy get a price from Super Shuttle, Prime Time or Road Runner, then get some quotes from a few limo services...

We just returned from LA and used Golden West Airport Express for private transport from an airport hotel to San Pedro and then return from San Pedro to Hertz at LAX. Price was $50 each way. They were on time and even waited for us as we were on the NCL Star that arrived late 10/13 due to a passenger going overboard. Would recommend them based on our one experience.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

We are looking for the best economical way to get from Disneyland (Fairfield Inn by Marriott on Harbor Blvd.) to the San Pedro Pier for Hawaii cruise on the Island Princess next week, (4-11-07). Recent change of plans, and now we don't have a ride. :o

What are the current prices for shuttles, and are there certain ones to avoid?

Thanks, Curt Jerome Wild for starting the review poll.

Esther :)

We have always used Supershuttle, both for a car service and for their jitney type shuttle service. We often use them from LAX to my parents' home (aobut 20 miles south of LAX) as it is cheaper than parking at the airport. They also have wheelchair lift van service at the same rate as their non-accessible shuttle service (as required by the ADA), although reservations for this service are a must.

Because we live 50 miles away from the WCC, we usually just drive. But our last cruise was a 15-dayer and we figured with two suitcases, a garment bag, two plastic crates (bottled water, wine, Pepsi/Mtn. Dew, Vitamin Water... you get the picture), a guitar case (hubby's), back pack with ukelele (daughter's...there's uke lessons on the Island Princess Hawaiian cruise), two more backpacks, well, that stuff isn't going to fit in either of our little Saturn sedans.

I found a coupon for Cool Rides (home base in Santa Clarita) and we decided to try them out. Very professional. For the pickup, it was arranged that the car show up at 10am. When it looked like we weren't getting off anywhere near there, I called and was told the car will just circle around the port -- I should call back when we were at the shuttle pick up area. Did so, and the car showed up pretty quickly.

Thanks C. Chick and Splinter.

We are going to make a reservation with Prime Time Shuttle; how much time shall we allow to get to the pier from the Magic Kingdom? I believe Princess wants us aboard by 3:00pm. If we left the park at noon would that be a safe bet, or are there serious traffic concerns on the route?

Thanks again,

Esther

That's a weekday so that's a big consideration (rush hour can often start way before 4pm on some freeways here). Are you doing Disneyland the day before? (DL takes several hours to do right so I hope you're not planning to do it the day of your cruise)

That's a weekday so that's a big consideration (rush hour can often start way before 4pm on some freeways here). Are you doing Disneyland the day before? (DL takes several hours to do right so I hope you're not planning to do it the day of your cruise)

Cruisin' Chick, Thanks for your response, and concern.

We have Premium Annual passes and our daughter and grandchildren are joining us for two days, (Monday & Tuesday, Apri 9-10). Her flight back to Nebraska leaves at 2:00pm Wed. and of course we should start heading for the pier probably by noon, since we should be aboard by three at the latest.

We were just trying to get an idea of when we should leave the park after those last couple of rides with the kids early Wednesday morning. :D

Your take on local traffic, (bridge construction?) etc. is helpful. We don't want to cut things too close! :eek:

Esther

• 3 weeks later...

CJW & all,

Just returning to post after the cruise to report that we took Prime Time Shuttle and the driver was a half an hour early at the hotel, we were the only passengers, and we had no traffic to the pier. It took us 43 minutes. Hope this helps others. :D

Esther

Archived