Military Discount: RCI Clarification

In an e-mail that my husband received today, RCI will now accept DD-214. See entire e-mail:

Dear Dr. W.E. Knoop,

Thank you for your email.

To qualify for a military rate, an individual must be classified as one of the following:

1. Active personnel currently serving in the Canadian National Defense; United States Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, Coast Guard, National Guard or Reserves. Proper identification in the form of a United States Uniformed Services WHITE Identification Card for U.S. military personnel, and a WHITE N.D.21 Identification Card with a Red Canadian Flag displayed for Canadian National Defense personnel, must be presented at time of check-in.

2. Retired from any of the divisions listed directly above. Retired is defined as A) enlisted personnel or officers with a minimum of 20 years of service, B) medically retired, or C) 100% disabled. Proper identification for those classified in category A, or B must be in the form of a United States Uniformed BLUE Identification Card. Proper identification for those classified in category C is a United States Uniformed TAN Identification Card. Retired Canadian National Defense personnel are eligible and must possess the same white card as described above for active personnel. All forms of identification must be presented at time of check-in.

3. Veterans with an Honorable Discharge serving a minimum of 2 years, or 6-months in an active war zone, in any of the United States service divisions listed above. Proper identification in the form of a DD 214, plus a current photo must be presented at time of check-in.

4. Spouses of actively deployed, or deceased military personnel, are eligible to book one stateroom as long as the eligible spouse is occupying the stateroom. All other guests traveling in the same stateroom are also eligible for the military rate. Spouse must present the PINK Dependent Military ID upon check-in as proof of eligibility.

All guests traveling in the same stateroom are eligible to receive the military rate. No additional staterooms, other than the one that is occupied by the military person is eligible for the military rate. Parents, in-laws, children or other family members or friends are not eligible for the military rate without the eligible military person occupying the stateroom.

Thank you for choosing Royal Caribbean International.

Sara Moore

Customer Service Representative

Assuning that the 2 year military with an HONORABLE DISCHARGE qualifies you for the rate, what other ID is there to present but the DD 214 (your discharge papers). Glad to see the clarified the documents needed to present and also who is eligible for this rate.icon7.gif

The military discount is available on a limited number of cruises--generally those that haven't been selling rapidly (or aren't expected to). The discounts vary by category--there may be a couple hundred dollar on the inside of a trip, nothing or $50 on ocean view, nothing on balcony.

Some of the online TAs show which lines/cruises are offering military discounts--poke around a bit.

• 3 months later...

Thanks for the info. :) When I booked our upcoming cruise 2 year vets were not eligible. I checked with our RCI agent and there is no discount available for us at this time, but we can look forward to future cruises with a military discount. Thanks again and happy sailing! :)

I used it for an inside cabin on Legend ots in Jan. Saved about $200! When you are on RCCI's website looking at cruises. The same page that asks you how many people, at the bottom asks for Senior, Military, and state you reside, then when you are scrolling though the cabin catigories if they are having a discount it will have a Standard Rate choice, and a Military Rate choice, and show the ppl price of each!

Our Doc's had a thing saying what was needed at check in, But they never asked when we did check in!

Thanks for the info. :) When I booked our upcoming cruise 2 year vets were not eligible. I checked with our RCI agent and there is no discount available for us at this time, but we can look forward to future cruises with a military discount. Thanks again and happy sailing! :)

I'm glad to see two year vets are now being allowed militarydiscounts on RCCL. They have been on Carnival so we could get one there.;)

Now we will be looking here. :)

Now we have to get his paper streight, they show one year instead of three. His original paper with the army burned in a fire.:(

We used the military rate with only a DD-214 last month on Mariner. We had a copy of DH's DD-214 with our docs, and never even had to show it. Definitely bring a copy, but don't be surprised if you don't have to use it.

We saved about $200 with the military discount, and it didn't show up until about 3 weeks prior to sailing. By the time my mom located my stepdad's DD-214 and tried to get it two days later, it was gone, so if you see a military discount on your sailing, GRAB IT!

I spoke to one representative who told us we didn't qualify for a discount. I called back and got someone different and we weretold we were eligible. Unfortunately our sailing doesn't qualify for one, but be persistent. Not all agents seem to know this or unwilling to let you know.

I spoke to one representative who told us we didn't qualify for a discount. I called back and got someone different and we weretold we were eligible. Unfortunately our sailing doesn't qualify for one, but be persistent. Not all agents seem to know this or unwilling to let you know.

Good point. I even had to fight with my TA to get it for us last time. She was unaware that they had changes the policy from retirees to most veterans. The fact that she was rude about it is one of the many reasons we're booked with RCCL directly this time, but that's a whole 'nother story... :D

I called RCI three times and got three different answers. My TA told me "no" to vets.

If not for reading CC, I would have given up...now going to try again to upgrade with the DD214.

Hey, Vets have gotten too bad of a rap in the past (esp. VietNam Vets!!), they deserve more!! Not more than any other, just more respect than they have be given. IMHO

I have used it a few times on Carnival, and saved a bundle. :) :)

I called RCI three times and got three different answers. My TA told me "no" to vets.

If not for reading CC, I would have given up...now going to try again to upgrade with the DD214. :) :)

I printed out the letter the OP provided in the first post. It has a customer service rep's name on it. I expected folks to get the run around. #3 clearly states the requirements. I keep it in my cruise basket of knowledge! All my cruise related info goes in it.

Unfortunately RCL doesn't have many discounts for the Mexican Riviera. But I keep checking.

Archived