SDI to Med. Nov. 3-10

Cammiem

Anyone else on this cruise (Voyage 1743)?

We are not only new to SD, but we've never cruised before. I chose SD based, in part, on many of the comments here on this board. We will be celebrating our 20th anniversary.

If you've been to the Med on this or similar voyages, what should we NOT miss as far as shore excursions go? It all seems overwhelming!

• 4 months later...

Good morning :

We are Sue & Stan from SC. We have recently booked this sailing and are also new to SD. We cruise often on the "big" ships and love the Mediterranean in the fall. Actually sailed from Venice to Rome last year during the same time frame. Weather is usually very nice, not beach weather but light jacket weather. The crowds are gone and in our opinion the best time to cruise in Europe.

We arrive into FCO 11/03 at 9:15A may take the train to Civitaveechia or may book a shuttle and would be open to sharing transportation from the airport to the ship.

Sue

• 3 weeks later...
Good morning :

We are Sue & Stan from SC. We have recently booked this sailing and are also new to SD. We cruise often on the "big" ships and love the Mediterranean in the fall. Actually sailed from Venice to Rome last year during the same time frame. Weather is usually very nice, not beach weather but light jacket weather. The crowds are gone and in our opinion the best time to cruise in Europe.

We arrive into FCO 11/03 at 9:15A may take the train to Civitaveechia or may book a shuttle and would be open to sharing transportation from the airport to the ship.

Sue

Hi Sue & Stan from SC. We are from Ohio. I am so glad to hear that the weather will be nice and that the crowds will be gone.

We arrive in Rome on October 30 for a few days to explore. This is our first time in Rome and I'm eager to check it out. As for transportation to the ship, I believe we are using a car service from our hotel to port.

Hopefully, the countdown won't drag along!

We have just booked this cruise, too. Do you think it will be too cold?

Hi lucky951! Sounds like the weather will be jacket weather, thanks to the tip from Sue & Stan. Have you cruised SeaDream prior to this?

Hi:

We are going 2 weeks sooner on SD1 1741 October 20th. Happy to hear that the weather might be good. Cooler is definately better than hotter. Any suggestions on Rome hotels?

Thanks,

Jim.

I can't offer suggestions, but can tell you where we are staying as suggested by our TA: Hotel Capo d'Africa. Looks nice & appears to meet my hotel-snob criteria. :D

While in Rome last November we stayed at the Hotel de la Ville Intercontinental. It is located at the top of Spanish steps and we were able to walk everywhere from the hotel. Plus our room was not ready when we arrived so they upgraded us to a suite. We still had to wait about an hour but left our luggage and walked.

We will be in Barcelona in October (sailing on Celebrity) and will stay pre and post cruise at the Le Meredien Hotel so we do not plan to stay any extra nights in November.

We have always enjoyed nice weather in Europe in the fall but weather is unpredictable.

Cammien, where in Ohio?? We are formerly from PA.

Sue

While in Rome last November we stayed at the Hotel de la Ville Intercontinental. It is located at the top of Spanish steps and we were able to walk everywhere from the hotel. Plus our room was not ready when we arrived so they upgraded us to a suite. We still had to wait about an hour but left our luggage and walked.

We will be in Barcelona in October (sailing on Celebrity) and will stay pre and post cruise at the Le Meredien Hotel so we do not plan to stay any extra nights in November.

We have always enjoyed nice weather in Europe in the fall but weather is unpredictable.

Cammien, where in Ohio?? We are formerly from PA.

Sue

Hi Sue,

We are in central Ohio. I was born in PA. Small world. I see you're from SC. We had family on Hilton Head Island for a long time.

We have a day post-cruise in Barcelona at Hotel 1898.

What were your favorites in Rome last November? I want to be sure I spend my pre-cruise days wisely.

We liked everything in Rome. We are walkers and spent all day walking from site to site. We have previously taken private tours and enjoyed them but now go on our own.

In September we plan to take the train into Rome and do the hop on and hop off bus.

Sue

Cammiem,

We cruised on Seadream I in July, 03. It was wonderful. I am still wondering exactly what clothes to bring for that time of year.

Also, do they still serve breakfast and lunch outside if the temperature is mid 50's? I just want to be sure I have the right warm clothes if they do.

lucky951

• 2 months later...

We have just returned from Barcelona last night. We stayed at the LeMerdien enjoyed a lovely Mediterranean suite which had a huge balcony. We had 12 friends (staying at other hotels) to our balcony for a toast to Barcelona!

Some of these folks stayed at the Hotel 1898 located next door. The Hotel 1898 has a wondeful roof top pool with fabulous views of Barcelona plus an indoor spa type pool. My opinion is---the Hotel 1898 was superior to the LeMeridien. Rooms were small but very nice. I think you all made a great choice.

We have received our final documents and even though we just returned from a 10 night Mediteranean cruise on Celebrity round trip from Barcelona we cannot wait for the SeaDream cruise. We only hope for some of the same weather we experienced, sunny and warm every day.

Sue (& Stan)

We have just returned from Barcelona last night. We stayed at the LeMerdien enjoyed a lovely Mediterranean suite which had a huge balcony. We had 12 friends (staying at other hotels) to our balcony for a toast to Barcelona!

Some of these folks stayed at the Hotel 1898 located next door. The Hotel 1898 has a wondeful roof top pool with fabulous views of Barcelona plus an indoor spa type pool. My opinion is---the Hotel 1898 was superior to the LeMeridien. Rooms were small but very nice. I think you all made a great choice.

We have received our final documents and even though we just returned from a 10 night Mediteranean cruise on Celebrity round trip from Barcelona we cannot wait for the SeaDream cruise. We only hope for some of the same weather we experienced, sunny and warm every day.

Sue (& Stan)

Hi Sue!

First of all, welcome home! Sounds like you're blessed with some great travel. :) I'm excited to hear your positive opinion of Hotel 1898!

Did you have enough pre- or post-cruise days in Barcelona to enjoy a nice restaurant or two? Are there any places that stand-out that you would suggest? We have two days post-cruise in Barcelona.

We receive our final documents next week when we meet w/ our TA. The excitement is building! :D

Hi, I am still wondering if breakfast and lunch will be served outside for this cruise. It looks like the average daily high is low to mid 60's and the low is in the 50's. Could be a little cold for breakfast. I want to be prepared.

Thanks

lucky951

Hi, I am still wondering if breakfast and lunch will be served outside for this cruise. It looks like the average daily high is low to mid 60's and the low is in the 50's. Could be a little cold for breakfast. I want to be prepared.

Thanks

lucky951

I LOVE weather like that. I am coming prepared for meals outside. Honestly, I don't care what the weather is like: as long as I'm aboard that yacht, I'll be happy. With a glass of bubbly & beautiful surroundings...it's all good, chilly weather or not. :D

I'm thinking it'll be a chillier mid-60s because we'll be on the water. Food might get cold quicker,too. If it's chilly outside, the better and more-relaxed dining experience might be inside. I'm packing hand warmers & Under Armour just in case.

Can it get here any slower???

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Sue, good to hear from you.

We depart on Monday for a few days in Rome prior to embarkation.

It'd be great to meet on ship! Do you have suggestions on where/how? Maybe we could meet after embarkation & toast the voyage with a glass of champagne. What do you think?

Cammiem:

Sounds like a plan. How about after the life boat drill at "top of the yacht bar" weather permitting?? How we will recognize you? What are your names?

We will be the tired looking old folks as we will have traveled overnight.

Sue

Cammiem:

Sounds like a plan. How about after the life boat drill at "top of the yacht bar" weather permitting?? How we will recognize you? What are your names?

We will be the tired looking old folks as we will have traveled overnight.

Sue

Sue,

After the life boat drill at the TOYB sounds perfect. I am unfamiliar with the ship, so I don't know what to suggest as a good meeting place if it's raining.

My name is Carole, my husband's name is Doug. I will be the one with the smile plastered on my face as I'll be so happy to be aboard. My husband might very well be wearing something Ohio State related. I'll have to convince him to...shouldn't be a problem. Anyway, we're in our early 40s (don't know if that helps) & both have dark hair. We are both on the short side. I feel like I'm writing a personal ad! :eek:

If I don't "talk" to you prior to Monday, have a safe trip.

I am unfamiliar with the ship, so I don't know what to suggest as a good meeting place if it's raining.

Perish the thought of rain, but just in case I'd suggest the Library on Deck 4 as a good alternate place to meet in the case of inclement weather.

Hope you all have a great cruise.

Archived