Comparing two of Joe Upton's Alaska books

NancyIL

I just received The Coastal Companion: A Guide to the Inside Passage, Including Puget Sound, BC and Alaska by Joe Upton - which I ordered from Amazon. I wondered how similar it was to Princess's The Alaska Cruise Companion - but no one has answered my question. For those of you who have the Princess version of the book - please tell me if your table of contents is similar.

Chapter 1 Seattle to Vancouver

Chapter 2 Vancouver to Cape Calvert

Chapter 3 Hecate Strait and the Northern Canyons

Chapter 4 The Windy Border Country

Chapter 5 Islands Without Number

Chapter 6 Life in a Roadless Community

Chapter 7 Where History Lurks

There are also additional sections:

Northwest Artists Gallery

-Elton Bennett

-John Horton

-Ray Troll

-Marvin Oliver

-Rie Munoz

-Nancy Stonington

Traveler's Guides

-Boats

-Fish

-Birds

-Marine Mammals

Ports and Places

-Vancouver

-Seymour Narrows

-Kwakiutl Country

-Ketchikan

-Juneau

-Skagway

-Sitka

References

-Diary Pages

-Bibliography

-Index

This book doesn't come with the map(s) that you get with the Princess book, but Princess's 2007 Alaska brochure comes with a large two-sided map that was created by Joe Upton.

O.K. Nancy I will tell you what I got from Princess on one of their ships. It is called "The Coastal Companion, A guide for the Alaska Bound Traveler. it is by Joe Upton. The Chapter names are the same as you stated. It also includes a map that is not attached to the book. By the way it is a fantastic map.

Marilyn

O.K. Nancy I will tell you what I got from Princess on one of their ships. It is called "The Coastal Companion, A guide for the Alaska Bound Traveler. it is by Joe Upton. The Chapter names are the same as you stated. It also includes a map that is not attached to the book. By the way it is a fantastic map.

Marilyn

Thanks, Marilyn. How long ago did you get the book? Does your book only go as far north as ~ Glacier Bay? I was expecting it to cover the entire one-way cruise route to Whittier or Seward, and mine doesn't.

What Princess sells now is called The Alaska Cruise Companion. Other than not having the map - I wonder if I'm missing out on information in the Princess edition - other than Princess's promotions for their lodges and cruisetours.

Last year we got the 2005 edition, entitled "The Alaska Cruise Companion: A Complete Book and Illustrated Map Set. A Mile by Mile Guide to Alaska"

It has 10 chapters, from Seattle to Whittier, but also a chapter (9) from Whittier to Anchorage, including Kodiak Island. Chapter 10 is entitled "The Heart of Alaska: The Interior (Whittier to Fairbanks". The enclosed map is really nicely illustrated also. The ISBN number for this book is 0-9645682-9-2 and I think we paid about $25 on board. Well worth the money.:)

Last year we got the 2005 edition, entitled "The Alaska Cruise Companion: A Complete Book and Illustrated Map Set. A Mile by Mile Guide to Alaska"

It has 10 chapters, from Seattle to Whittier, but also a chapter (9) from Whittier to Anchorage, including Kodiak Island. Chapter 10 is entitled "The Heart of Alaska: The Interior (Whittier to Fairbanks". The enclosed map is really nicely illustrated also. The ISBN number for this book is 0-9645682-9-2 and I think we paid about $25 on board. Well worth the money.:)

Thanks - that's just what I wanted to know!

Nancy my book was the 1995 edition but by now you got your answer.:D

Marilyn

Marilyn - I have the 2004 edition of the same book.

After scmomofboys posted that the 2005 Princess edition covers the route to Whittier and the interior, I called Princess to see about ordering the book and map set - with the intention of returning my book to Amazon. The CS rep at Princess said it would take 10-15 business days to receive my book, but I could "get it from Borders for $15." :eek: I called my local Borders, and not only did they not have it, but they couldn't find it even by its ISBN number! Same thing with Barnes & Noble. Then it occurred to me that Borders.com is actually Amazon - and the book I bought from there cost $15.56 - so that's probably what the Princess rep was referring to! :rolleyes: The used editions of the official Princess book (2004 edition) plus shipping cost as much or more than ordering the newest edition from Princess - so I think I'll keep what I have. The Joe Upton map that is stapled inside the Princess Alaska brochure is plenty detailed. Hey - maybe there will be a drawing to win a copy of the book when we're on our cruise, and I'll be the winner! :D

Nancy to tell you the honest truth I read the book, got some info out of it but it is the map that is the greatest thing. So even if I had the 1995 edition the map certainly should not change that much. Whenever I do go to Alaska which by the way will be my fourth trip this coming May I always take the map. It is a very good reference. I did not know though that Borders was owned by Amazon or visa-versa. You learn something new everyday I guess.:D

Marilyn

There are several books about cruising in Alaska. I found one two weeks ago at a local Borders store that has some very good maps of your progress (including lighthouses, reefs, etc.) from Seattle/Vancouver to Seward/Whittier and also a (small) chapter on Denali/Fairbanks. There is a large fold-out map bound into the back inside cover, but perforated if you want to remove it. There is also a $25.00US coupon for OBC on Holland America. Lots of color photos.

Details:

Alaska by Cruise Ship

Fifth Edition

Anne Vipond

Pub: Ocean Cruise Guides Ltd.

Delta, BC, Canada and Pt. Roberts, WA, USA

ISBN 13: 978-0-9688389-7-6(CAN) and ISBN 0-9688389-7-9 (US) Dewey: 917.9804

web: http://www.oceancruiseguides.com

List $26.95CAD $19.95US 350 Pages

There are several books about cruising in Alaska. I found one two weeks ago at a local Borders store that has some very good maps of your progress (including lighthouses, reefs, etc.) from Seattle/Vancouver to Seward/Whittier and also a (small) chapter on Denali/Fairbanks. There is a large fold-out map bound into the back inside cover, but perforated if you want to remove it. There is also a $25.00US coupon for OBC on Holland America. Lots of color photos.

Details:

Alaska by Cruise Ship

Fifth Edition

Anne Vipond

Pub: Ocean Cruise Guides Ltd.

Delta, BC, Canada and Pt. Roberts, WA, USA

ISBN 13: 978-0-9688389-7-6(CAN) and ISBN 0-9688389-7-9 (US) Dewey: 917.9804

web: http://www.oceancruiseguides.com

List $26.95CAD $19.95US 350 Pages

I agree that Alaska By Cruise Ship is a great book. I loaned mine to some friends who are cruising to Alaska a month after us - so I hope to get it back just before we leave.

. . . I called Princess to see about ordering the book and map set - with the intention of returning my book to Amazon. The CS rep at Princess said it would take 10-15 business days to receive my book, but I could "get it from Borders for $15." :eek:

In November, DH ordered the Alaska Cruise Companion from Princess for me for Christmas (delivery time, 10-15 business days). It never came. DH called Princess sometime during the week after Christmas. They wanted the tracking number--but he hadn't ever received one. Princess said they would check their records, and if no tracking number could be found, they would FedX a copy to us. Two days later, we received a copy by FedX as promised. And then two days later, we received another copy, and eventually a third. We tried to straighten it out with Princess but ended up with 3 books for the price of one (gave the other two to friends going to AK in 2007). The book is well worth the time and money--but another reminder that Alaska is so big and so beautiful that there is no way to do it all!!!:( Of course, if you call to check on the status of your order, you may end up with extra copies!!:D

I just got the Alaska by Cruise Ship book that GratefulGuy mentioned and the newest Frommers Port book. The Vipond book seems to be very good, with lots of small maps on each section of the inside channel and large map in back. Info on each town, area, wildlife, history.

I have used the Frommers book on both of our other Alaska trip and found it to be very good. The Alaska book and port book are by different authors and are a little different. Since I still have the big Frommers book from 2004, I got the ports book.

I thought the Vipond book was the Upton book when I bought it but its not. It looks like Princess has reprinted or is offering special version of Uptons earlier book just thru their channels.

In November, DH ordered the Alaska Cruise Companion from Princess for me for Christmas (delivery time, 10-15 business days). It never came. DH called Princess sometime during the week after Christmas. They wanted the tracking number--but he hadn't ever received one. Princess said they would check their records, and if no tracking number could be found, they would FedX a copy to us. Two days later, we received a copy by FedX as promised. And then two days later, we received another copy, and eventually a third. We tried to straighten it out with Princess but ended up with 3 books for the price of one (gave the other two to friends going to AK in 2007). The book is well worth the time and money--but another reminder that Alaska is so big and so beautiful that there is no way to do it all!!!:( Of course, if you call to check on the status of your order, you may end up with extra copies!!:D

I'm sure your friends are very grateful for Princess's error! :)

After finally finding the most current Princess book at Amazon, thanks to cjnky (it was listed under JOHN Upton instead of JOE Upton!) - I ordered a used copy yesterday, and I'm returning my Coastal Companion to Amazon.

• 2 weeks later...

The official Princess edition of The Alaska Cruise Companion by Joe Upton arrived last week while I was on vacation. It is definitely worth getting the 2005 Princess edition - especially if you can get it used at a great price. I bought mine from Amazon Marketplace for 8.73 + $3.49 shipping, and the book was still shrink-wrapped.

The Princess book (Alaska Cruise Companion) and Alaska by Cruise ship (Vipond) were my 2 favorite books for Alaska. I much preferred these to Frommors.

I think I have loaned out both of my books as I can't find them at the moment.

The official Princess edition of The Alaska Cruise Companion by Joe Upton arrived last week while I was on vacation. It is definitely worth getting the 2005 Princess edition - especially if you can get it used at a great price. I bought mine from Amazon Marketplace for 8.73 + $3.49 shipping, and the book was still shrink-wrapped.

Nancy - Thanks for letting us know what you thought of the books. Looks like you really liked the above one much better. I've never ordered used books from Amazon Marketplace (just new on the regular site). Is it normally pretty safe (as in good representation of condition of book)? THX!

Nancy - Thanks for letting us know what you thought of the books. Looks like you really liked the above one much better. I've never ordered used books from Amazon Marketplace (just new on the regular site). Is it normally pretty safe (as in good representation of condition of book)? THX!

The seller I picked wasn't the least expensive - but he/she described the book as being new and shrink-wrapped - and it did indeed look like a brand new book.

Archived