Discover Denali Tour

captjaneway

My RCCL cruise tour states;

"Upon arrival (to Denali) you'll depart on the Discover Denali Tour (included) a guided exploration of Denali National Park."

I can not find any mention of a tour with this name offered at the park. Does anyone know what this tour includes?

There is no tour by that name - it's almost certain to be the very poor Natural History Tour, given their description that you get to Denali at noon or later, presumable have lunch, and after the tour have "the rest of the evening free" (the Tundra Wilderness Tour would leave no free time).

Actually this isn't even the worthless Natural History tour, it's a tour to the Visitor Center, a complete shortcoming and certainly not what you may have thought you were booking. You will NOT get anywhere into a park. A big shame since you are going to be there. Everything is INSIDE the park.

You may want to consider looking at some options that may be available to you depending on your time.

For other's be very aware of WHAT you are booking on any cruisetour, overall Denali Park is the highlight of most.

I called Royal's cruise tour department and BQ is right...this tour is a joke. It is only about 2 hours long and includes a video about the park and a lecture and short hike. It is unfortunately included in my tour also. I'm going to skip it and book the Tundra Wilderness Tour independently instead. Thank goodness I'll be in Denali for 2 days, so I'll have plenty of time for the TWT and a few other activities. If I only had 1 day, and this was the only tour I could do, I'd be quite P.O'd!

I called Royal's cruise tour department and BQ is right...this tour is a joke. It is only about 2 hours long and includes a video about the park and a lecture and short hike. It is unfortunately included in my tour also. I'm going to skip it and book the Tundra Wilderness Tour independently instead. Thank goodness I'll be in Denali for 2 days, so I'll have plenty of time for the TWT and a few other activities. If I only had 1 day, and this was the only tour I could do, I'd be quite P.O'd!

With 2 days in Denali, you may want to consider getting the shuttle bus to Eielson. Those 10 miles difference between the Tundra Wilderness tour (also the same distance as the very cheap Toklat shuttle bus) and Eielson is big bear habitat and loaded with potential wildlife sighting. I don't consider any shorter distance for myself.

Be sure with any independent booking that you claim, you are already paying your park fee with your cruisetour, so to not pay it twice. It's about $30 to Eielson and about $23 to Toklat.

With 2 days in Denali, you may want to consider getting the shuttle bus to Eielson. Those 10 miles difference between the Tundra Wilderness tour (also the same distance as the very cheap Toklat shuttle bus) and Eielson is big bear habitat and loaded with potential wildlife sighting. I don't consider any shorter distance for myself.

Be sure with any independent booking that you claim, you are already paying your park fee with your cruisetour, so to not pay it twice. It's about $30 to Eielson and about $23 to Toklat.

Thanks BQ...I'll be sure to look into that!

Regarding the Tundra Wilderness tour, what are the chances of seeing Grizzlies on this?

Close to 100%, but even more chance if you get the 10 extra miles with the shuttle to Eielson, IF you are not on a cruisetour.

I have seen grizzlies every trip I've taken, over 10, but Murray has a far better experience for averages, which still is very very good. :)

So are you saying that you can get all the way to Eieson for $30 or $23 to Toklat then $30 more to Eielson? Is this the shuttle bus that you can get on and off anywhere? Or is it once you get off you can only go back the opposite direction? According to the TWT is 11 hours on a bus, Is it worth the exhaustion? I am so confused :confused:

So are you saying that you can get all the way to Eieson for $30 or $23 to Toklat then $30 more to Eielson? Is this the shuttle bus that you can get on and off anywhere? Or is it once you get off you can only go back the opposite direction? According to the TWT is 11 hours on a bus, Is it worth the exhaustion? I am so confused :confused:

It is $140 pp to Kantishna (12 hr) which is the next (and last) stop on Denali Park Rd. , so I don't think you can go to Eieson for $30.

I'm thinking the 12 hour bus trip and a glass of wine upon return to hotel, I'll need to be tucked in for the night.

It is $140 pp to Kantishna (12 hr) which is the next (and last) stop on Denali Park Rd. , so I don't think you can go to Eieson for $30.

I'm thinking the 12 hour bus trip and a glass of wine upon return to hotel, I'll need to be tucked in for the night.

actually, it is $29.25 roundtrip via the park shuttle :)

http://www.reservedenali.com/shuttles/index.cfm

As noted, it is $29.25 TOTAL round trip cost for the shuttle to Eielson. Just as I wrote. You can get on and off the shuttle anywhere you choose, (no wildlife can be in the area). The Toklat shuttle goes the SAME distance as the TWT, mile 53, Eielson is mile 66. There is also a park fee of $10pp which all cruisetour people will have already paid. You do have to mention this if you book any buses independent.

I never recommend the Kantishna day trips. Essentially all it is is a very high cost lunch. You have no time for any of the activities that the overnight guests get. If you want a bus ride and a afternoon at a lodge, lunch, go for it. Me- I will always book a Wonder Lake shuttle, 5 miles less distance and enjoy that area better for $40.

I took a Kantishna tour 3 years ago, and it was very poor value. Great lunch and we did get a forest tour (some opted for gold panning). Our driver, though, was the only bad driver I've had in 30+ trips into the park - he had just arrived in Alaska for the first time 3 weeks prior, and knew NOTHING about Alaska or the park.

I'm thinking about arranging a Denali tour for my parents, nearing 70 and I was thinking about booking the Kantishna tour for them. In their case, would it be a good idea? I'm thinking they would have a "guide" and yes, the would enjoy the overpriced lunch.

I haven't even looked into a Cruisetour for them, and I don't know how to proceed.

I'm purchasing plane tickets tomorrow - I obviously don't need to book a Denali tour just yet but if anyone has any advice, I'd like to have some idea how much time they need to see Denali. Our cruise sails out of Seward on a Friday and I was thinking of flying them into Anchorage on Monday so they can travel Tuesday, do a Denali tour on Wednesday, travel back to Anchorage on Thrusday. Sounds like I better have them fly in on Sunday instead so they have Tuesday and Wednesday in Denali, maybe send them on two different tours in case one is a dud.

Sorry to hijack a little, but if anyone has any quick advice, I'd love to hear it.

actually, it is $29.25 roundtrip via the park shuttle :)

http://www.reservedenali.com/shuttles/index.cfm

I stand corrected, after futher digging I found out the different prices between shuttle (non narrated tour) and tour bus (driver and narrated tour guide).

For the $100+ price difference, I think I will do without the narration.

This is what makes this BB so great, a wealth of information.

Thanks

I stand corrected, after futher digging I found out the different prices between shuttle (non narrated tour) and tour bus (driver and narrated tour guide).

The shuttle drivers do narration that is every bit as good as the TWT drivers.

Our shuttle bus driver did a great job narrating. However, she did tell us that not all shuttle bus drivers do a narration. She said some take the concept of "shuttle" literally, and feel their job is simply to shuttle people from point A to point B. I think people should be aware that although they will most likely get a great narration on the shuttle buses, they could get someone who will not narrate much. I would not hesitate to take a shuttle again. I found the seats comfortable. The time went by very fast. You make many stops along the way. It was a great trip.

Our shuttle bus driver did a great job narrating. However, she did tell us that not all shuttle bus drivers do a narration. She said some take the concept of "shuttle" literally, and feel their job is simply to shuttle people from point A to point B.

Maybe I'm just a cynic, but I think that's just a way to increase tips - "you folks do know how lucky you are to have gotten me instead of just a shuttle driver, don't you?" :) Anybody who hires on as a shuttle driver knows the way to make money - study lots and talk lots.

You pays your money and you takes your chances. I have had some excellent narration on shuttles, I have also had drivers who say nothing, and I've had a couple who view the passengers as a captive audience to torture with "stream of conciousness" narration the entire trip (several passengers got off the bus just to get away from the constant talking). They are not required to do a narration, nor are they trained to do narration. Training can make a huge difference.

Also, Yukon and I must be the only people who tip the shuttle drivers. In four trips this summer, I was the ONLY person on the bus who gave the driver a tip.

So let me get this straight - I can take the shuttle for a fraction of the cost to see the same route as the Tundra Wilderness Tour, AND I get to get off the shuttle occasionally? I must have this wrong. What's the downside?

EDIT: Regarding taking pictures from either the shuttle or TWT - what is involved? Are you able to lower the window or are the pictures through a window? Yukon's bear picture above looks terrific, so I'm guessing you can lower the windows?

Also, Yukon and I must be the only people who tip the shuttle drivers. In four trips this summer, I was the ONLY person on the bus who gave the driver a tip.

Add me to your list. :) I ALWAYS tip the drivers, which all have been just excellent on my trips.

So let me get this straight - I can take the shuttle for a fraction of the cost to see the same route as the Tundra Wilderness Tour, AND I get to get off the shuttle occasionally? I must have this wrong. What's the downside?

EDIT: Regarding taking pictures from either the shuttle or TWT - what is involved? Are you able to lower the window or are the pictures through a window? Yukon's bear picture above looks terrific, so I'm guessing you can lower the windows?

Yes, yes and yes. :) I'm the broken record on this board posting this.

You raise and lower the windows as you wish.

I'm thinking about arranging a Denali tour for my parents, nearing 70 and I was thinking about booking the Kantishna tour for them. In their case, would it be a good idea? I'm thinking they would have a "guide" and yes, the would enjoy the overpriced lunch.

I haven't even looked into a Cruisetour for them, and I don't know how to proceed.

I'm purchasing plane tickets tomorrow - I obviously don't need to book a Denali tour just yet but if anyone has any advice, I'd like to have some idea how much time they need to see Denali. Our cruise sails out of Seward on a Friday and I was thinking of flying them into Anchorage on Monday so they can travel Tuesday, do a Denali tour on Wednesday, travel back to Anchorage on Thrusday. Sounds like I better have them fly in on Sunday instead so they have Tuesday and Wednesday in Denali, maybe send them on two different tours in case one is a dud.

Sorry to hijack a little, but if anyone has any quick advice, I'd love to hear it.

If your parents are at all independent travelers, have them 2 nights at Denali Park, and book them on the Wonder Lake Shuttle, or the Kantishna tour perhaps? With a cruisetour there will be some sort of "Denali" tour included.

You can book them with a car rental, very easy driving in Alaska, or independent on the train. As an alternative to a cruisetour, also look at a tour booked outside the cruiseline. I believe Murray (Yukon), has some listings on his site??? http://www.explorenorth.com

Archived