Cleaning snorkel equipment

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 12:20 PM.
Clarksville, TN
468 Posts
Joined Jul 2006
We're headed on our 2nd cruise, and we'd bought snorkel equipment for our 1st cruise over 2 years ago. Since that cruise, our equipment has been in the garage collecting dust, lint from the dryer, dirt, and god only knows what else. Can I put the equipment in the dishwasher to wash it or will that ruin the plastic on the mask?
Clarksville, TN
468 Posts
Joined Jul 2006
One more question... We do NOT have fins or that life jacket thingy. If we want to rent those two items, but not the mask or snorkel, is it cheaper? If it's the same price, then we might as well buy fins and that life jacket before we go...
St. Louis area
10,817 Posts
Joined Aug 2003
Originally posted by amyj23
We're headed on our 2nd cruise, and we'd bought snorkel equipment for our 1st cruise over 2 years ago. Since that cruise, our equipment has been in the garage collecting dust, lint from the dryer, dirt, and god only knows what else. Can I put the equipment in the dishwasher to wash it or will that ruin the plastic on the mask?
I would not use the dishwasher especially if it is a good mask. I use a little Baby Shampoo and water. Also baby shampoo and water rubbed inside and out on the lens and then flushed with water helps with foggy up.

That is my take and others may have another idea, best of luck.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Dublin, Ireland
2 Posts
Joined Oct 2008
I used to manage a dive center and the best way to clean the mask and snorkel is to put them in a bucket of warm water and some bleach... this is disinfect them and not damage the silicon. once soaked for about 2hrs, rinse in fresh water and they'll be ready to use. As for renting fins vs buying them. Think about how much use you'll get out of a pair if you buy them?
Upstate NY
2,285 Posts
Joined Mar 2005
Originally posted by DublinTraveller
I used to manage a dive center and the best way to clean the mask and snorkel is to put them in a bucket of warm water and some bleach... this is disinfect them and not damage the silicon. once soaked for about 2hrs, rinse in fresh water and they'll be ready to use. As for renting fins vs buying them. Think about how much use you'll get out of a pair if you buy them?
Hi,

Totally agree! But just remember do not let your equipment dry in direct sunlight. Prolonged exposure to direct sunlight will degrade the silicon over time.

Randall
Toronto
1,615 Posts
Joined Jun 2005
If buying snorkel vest, get the ones with crotch strap. Without it, it can slip off you head, or moves too high and make it uncomfortable. My friends had that, vs what we had. Big difference.

Most ops include the cost of renting the snorkel/mask/fin/vest in their price. If you have your own mask/snorkel but need to rent fin/vest, they don't usually give discount. But if you have everything yourself, you can negotiate for slight discount, and some place will.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
To go:
Holland America Zaandam Mar. 21, 2017 (14d, Buenos Aires, Argentina -> Montevideo, Uruguay; Falkland Is, UK; Punta Arenas, Chile; Ushuaia, Argentina; Puerto Montt then Valparaiso & Santiago, Chile)

Went on:
Carnival Conquest Aug. 24, 2014 (7d, Miami -> Cozumel; Belize; Mahogany Bay, Roatan; Costa Maya)
Carnival Freedom
Aug. 24/13 (8d, FLL -> Grand Turk; La Romana, DR; Curacao; Aruba)
NCL Pride of America Aug. 25/2012 (7d Hawaii; Honolulu -> Kahului, Maui; Hilo; Kona; Kauai)
Carnival Splendor Aug. 22/2010 (Long Beach -> Puerto Vallarta, Mazatlan, Cabo San Luca)
Costa Fortuna Mar. 14/2010 (7d, FLL->Nassau, Ocho Rios, G Cayman, Cozumel)
Carnival Splendor Aug. 30, 2009, hurrican Jimena forced changes (7d, Long Beach -> Catalina; Ensenada; Cabo; missed PV and Maz)
Carnival Triumph Jun 29, 2009 (5d, New York -> Saint John/NB; Halifax)
Carnival Liberty Aug. 23, 2008 (7d, Miami -> Half Moon Cay; USVI; San Juan; Grand Turk)
Carnival Destiny Aug. 26, 2007 (7d, San Juan -> USVI; Dominica; Barbados; St. Lucia; Antigua)
Carnival Miracle Aug. 27, 2006 (7d, Tampa -> G Cayman; Cozumel; Belize; Costa Maya)
Norwegian Wind Aug. 24, 2005 (10d Honolulu, Oahu -> Hilo; Fanning island; Kauai; Lahaina, Maui; Kona)