Snorkel question-Cococay

1cruznmama

• 1 month later...

Am trying to limit the luggage on a short cruise. Cococay will be the only stop that we would snorkel. Can we manage with no fins, just a snorkel and mask or do you need to swim quite far out to see anything?

Any info would be appreciated.

Cruisepucks

Am trying to limit the luggage on a short cruise. Cococay will be the only stop that we would snorkel. Can we manage with no fins, just a snorkel and mask or do you need to swim quite far out to see anything?

Any info would be appreciated.

Cruisepucks

The water is very shallow a long way out. You will see lots of fish in the shallows, but not much else. I think you will be fine without fins, it might actually be easier, because the sea floor is pretty rocky.

I think they do require you to use a vest, though, they rent them for $6. You can rent the fins, too, if you decide you want them.

• 4 months later...

I have been trying to search the boards, but I can't find what I am looking for. A while back, there was a series of posts describing the best locations for snorkeling on Coco Cay. One of the suggestions involved specific directions on where to go in regards to dropoffs, docks, and wrecks for the best fish and coral. Is there someone who can direct me on where to go if we do self-guided snorkeling on Coc Cay? I would like to see the most fish and coral possible. We are going on the Monarch on Aug. 7.

Thanks in advance,

Kelly

I have been trying to search the boards, but I can't find what I am looking for. A while back, there was a series of posts describing the best locations for snorkeling on Coco Cay. One of the suggestions involved specific directions on where to go in regards to dropoffs, docks, and wrecks for the best fish and coral. Is there someone who can direct me on where to go if we do self-guided snorkeling on Coc Cay? I would like to see the most fish and coral possible. We are going on the Monarch on Aug. 7.

Thanks in advance,

Kelly

Snorkeled CocoCay July 19th, '09. There are three lifeguard piers in the snorkeling area. Each pier has a sunken object that has a lot of fish.

When looking out from the beach, the pier in the middle has a sunken airplane many fish in this area. Pier on the right has part of a ship.

The lifeguards throw food into the water when you're around the pier, so you'll see a lot of fish up close and personal.

The drop off area is on the left between the two sets of rocks. You must go in between the rocks and you'll see the dropoff. The current is a lot stronger out there as well. I saw about 4 sting-rays and a fished that looked like a Barracuda (not a fish expert so I don't know), sea turtles, octopus, nurse shark and various fish.

This was only my 2nd time snorkeling in my life. I tested the equipment by the piers and then spent the most of my time past the rocks (drop off area).

You HAVE to do a 3-5 minute orientation on the beach and the tour guide will go over the areas again with a map of the snorkeling area.

Hope this helps. Enjoy.

The water is very shallow a long way out. You will see lots of fish in the shallows, but not much else. I think you will be fine without fins, it might actually be easier, because the sea floor is pretty rocky.

I think they do require you to use a vest, though, they rent them for $6. You can rent the fins, too, if you decide you want them.

Actually, there are lots of other things if one looks close enough;):

This is a dinner plate sized star fish in 2 ft of water

2i7xzwj.jpg

This is an Octopus clutching a mussel shell not 20 ft from the loungers.

295tzcx.jpg

If you are patient and alert you will be rewarded. On Youtube, there is a movie of a small shark in only a foot of water :

Archived