Shore snorkeling ?

Zeno

My husband and I will be stopping at GC in December. We would like to know if anyone can recommend a good spot to snorkel from SHORE.
Our preferences:
1. Easy entry (I have bad knees - so no difficult scrambles to enter the water). Rocky shoreline is OK though - we have water shoes.
2. Decent snorkeling CLOSE to shore (dh is a powerful swimmer, I am OK)
3. Somewhere with washrooms nearby would be nice
4. Somewhere to sit (don't mind paying) would be useful
5.. Somewhere to get refreshments would be nice
6. Somewhere to rent fins and maybe a floatation device would be nice. (We have our own masks and snorkels)
7.. Ideally not to far from the cruiseship terminal but a short taxi ride would be fine. (Could you give me an idea of taxi costs?)
8. Somewhere near a nice beach (if possible).
Is there any place that fits at least some of the above criteria?
Thanks

Consider taking a short stroll to EDEN ROCK.

There's (was, anyway) a neat little restaurant/lounge called THE PARADISE. Right outside their place is fabulous snorkeling. You have to walk down a few rocky steps, but there's a railing.

Within moments, you'll see a zillion fish.

Really, it was wonderful snorkeling. It was comparable to Bora Bora!

If you wish to venture out, you can swim out to a huge DROP.

I highly recommend this location. The view from inside the bar is incredible.

(There's no beach there...just a thin strip of pebbles)

go to grandcaymancruiseexcursions.com. they will have a listing of several spots you can walk to. we went to 3 spots. the farthest was about a 15 minute walk. look for the one near burger king. the one past the cemetery was the best. none had beach services,though the one past the cemetery had the best beach with several palm trees. it has a short wooden dock with a ladder into about 6-8 feet of water, the other places were walk in beaches. you are best to buy the inflatable life vests before you leave home. they are compact and easy to carry. have fun grand cayman has some of the prettiest beaches and best shore snorkeling of anywhere.

[quote name='Zeno']thx nonoNanette:
This sounds like a possibility. How long a walk is Eden rock from the cruise ship dock?
to the right or left as I face the shore ?[/QUOTE]
My husband and I are guessing that it was about 1/2 mile. T'was in '02.

As you face the shore, Eden Rock will be on the RIGHT. (From the Paradise Bar and Grill, we could clearly see our ship) It worked out great for us. We stopped at a rumcake factory on the way there, ordered/paid for booze and rum cakes, then picked them up on the way back.

I used to have some lovely pictures on WEBSHOTS, but they wiped out my album after I refused to pay for it.

I know I've got some pics on a cd. Would you like me to email them to you?

Really, kiddo....this place/location was a real winner.

I have put in my 2 cents again even though you didnt ask for the "best" snorkeling. Smith Cove is incredibly easy and just a couple miles south of the tender area. There is no food, rentals or changing area. I believe there is a bathroom, but not sure. The access is from a small shore nestled in rock formations, the snorkeling is best ive seen. I believe there are picnic tables and places to lay blankets. If you have a day, you could certainly go there for an hour or two, have the taxi come back and get you at a designated time and then go to one of the other beaches to eat. It is a postcard spot and one missed by many who go there.
Rick

We were there twice, once for a week when we had a car and the last time off a cruise boat. There were 2 ships in port that day and yet we were the only 2 at Smith Cove except for a wedding party taking pics while we were out snorkeling. I lost all my pics when I had a computer crash, so I looked up Smith Cove cayman and pulled up a few sites with pictures, one, a dive site also scored the site and it does get high marks. Last time we took a cab from the port, asked the driver to come back at 3pm and he was there at 230 eating a sandwich waiting. The hike may be a bit too far, not sure about sidewalks. I think it has to be between a mile or two. As far as the pics again, I pasted this site to look at pics of smith cove, there are other beaches there as well. I need a link lesson, I guess.
Rick

[url]www.turtlenestinn.com/cayman-beaches-B2.htm[/url]

MANY thanks for the link, Rick. It looks lovely. :) (Sorry about your lost pics...what a bummer):(

We were supposed to stop in Georgetown on the Conquest last year, but they wouldn't let us in. Seas were too rough.

I'd planned to go to a small motel/diveshop for the day. I need to send the gal an email and see if their place is still there. Again, this was a small, out of the way place with no crowds. I'll let you know when I speak to her.

Rick and nanette and Jason:
Thx so much - this info is just what I need and the pix are great.
Right now the plan is : taxi out to Smith's Cove and snorkel there for an hour or two (will arrange a pickup time with the driver - I am not great at long walks in the hot sun). On the way back I think we may get the driver to drop us at Paradise Bar and Grill for a drink and a snack and then walk the rest of the way to the dock.
Any idea how much a taxi would cost to Smith's Cove would cost ?

[quote name='lz2cruz'] the one past the cemetery was the best. none had beach services,though the one past the cemetery had the best beach with several palm trees. it has a short wooden dock with a ladder into about 6-8 feet of water, the other places were walk in beaches. you are best to buy the inflatable life vests before you leave home.]

Iz2cruz: Is the site past the cemetery the "wreck of the Gamma?" Also, where can the inflatable life vests be purchased?

I really cant remember the taxi fare cost to Smith Cove Zeno. Its really close, like I said, maybe a few miles. I know the US dollar is worth less than the Cayman Dollar. I would think maybe 6 or 8 dollars each way tops. I think we may have told the driver that we would make it an even 20 if her picked us up on time. I know there was a monetary incentive because he was there and early!! Rick

Smith Cove is very nice, sorta rocky but lots of fish to see. There is a bathroom there which is marginally adequate. There are a few picnic tables to put your stuff on and some level rocks also. I like it better than the walk out place from the restaurant. A taxi can get you there or rent a car, and when you are finished there, drive over to Rum Point for relaxing by the beach.

Archived