Lupi's Mexican Grill....Has anyone eaten there?

skiiergirl

Lupi's Mexican Grill??? I know there is one out in Isla Verde that the hotel recommended last year but we did not make it. I have just read that there is one in OSJ now too. Has anyone eaten there? If so, how were the food and drinks? How close is it to the downtown pier? What is around it as far as shopping, sites, etc? Thanks so much!

OK...what about any other Mexican restaurant in OSJ? Or any restaurant that has really good margaritas and nachos, etc.?

We will be in SJ from 2 until 8 and don't plan on doing a tour. We thought maybe we would just get off and walk around and have drinks, nachos, etc.

Any suggestions?

I haven't eaten there, but we stopped in for Margaritas a couple of weeks ago and they were yummy. We went to the one in Isla Verde. The place was packed if that gives you any indication of whether the food is also good. They have an extensive menu, so you're likely to find something that pleases you :)

• 11 months later...

Didn't make it last year but am thinking about it this year. Ended up at Senor Frogs. (Last year we had a group and this year it is just the two of us so easier to plan ahead.) So I thought I would update the question....

Anyone been to Lupi's? How is the food? Where is the one in OSJ located?

If you have done both Lupi's and the Parrott Club which would you recommend?

Thanks in advance!

Just curious as to why you would go to San Juan and search out Mexican food. There are so many wonderful local dishes to choose from.

No offense' date=' just curious.:cool:

PE<---loves to experience what the locals like to eat...[/quote']

No offense taken.....but....Mr. Ski loves mexican food. We do mexican at least twice a week (and sometimes 4 times a week) at home. We enjoy the nice food on the ship and some of the local food on the islands. But eating ships food for two weeks he really goes in to withdrawal for his mexican food. So, depending on what else we do on "turnaround day", I thought he might enjoy some good mexican food and get a temporary "fix". I am open to other suggestions, I just remembered hearing about Lupi's so thought I would ask. I just think he would enjoy the mexican food as a change of pace since he will really be missing it.

I would personally suggest the Fumongo and a Pina Colada at Barrachina in Old San Juan for a lunch type thing. They are touted as the the birthplace of the Pina Colada.

Be forewarned that one dish will easily feed two people unless you are absolutely famished. Also the Pina Colada's are very rich and filling.

As for dinner you cannot beat The Blue Parrot (or is it The Parrot Club) for there very fresh seafood and atmosphere. The Seared Tuna is incredible and is served with fried plantains. My DW loves the grilled halibut and she is not real seafood (fish) lover.

PE:cool:

Skiergirl - We ate at the one in Isla Verde. Yes, I prefer to try local dishes as well. However, we were travelling with a fussy brother and sister-in-law and my son's equally fussy girlfriend. So we went with something that they were familiar with. Also, we stayed at the Hampton Inn and Suites which was across the street and a block down from Lupi's, so it was very convenient as we didn't have a car.

• 2 weeks later...

CRUZOBSESSED: For breakfast try La Bombonera ( 259 Calle San Fransisco) in old San Juan. It is a 100 year old bakery/cafe that all the locals go to for their "Mallorcas" a donut like pastry you can get many ways. They also grow and roast their own coffee.

For some home-style Puerto Rican try La Fonda del Jibarito (280 Calle Sol) also in old sj. It is family run and have only read good reviews....

We plan to try both in 2 weeks !!! along with a dinner at Pamelas at the Numero Uno Guesthouse (1 Santa Ana, Ocean Park)

I would personally suggest the Fumongo and a Pina Colada at Barrachina in Old San Juan for a lunch type thing. They are touted as the the birthplace of the Pina Colada.

Be forewarned that one dish will easily feed two people unless you are absolutely famished. Also the Pina Colada's are very rich and filling.

As for dinner you cannot beat The Blue Parrot (or is it The Parrot Club) for there very fresh seafood and atmosphere. The Seared Tuna is incredible and is served with fried plantains. My DW loves the grilled halibut and she is not real seafood (fish) lover.

PE:cool:

By any chance, do you mean "mofongo" instead of fumongo? I recommend the stuffed mofongo with either seafood or carne frita. Don't forget to eat Flan for dessert.

Archived