No experience with West coast

loveJake

I just booked a cruise on the Sapphire Princess. We are familiar with the area because my daughter was stationed at El Toro in the early 90's, so we wanted to return and go to Venice Beach, Hollywood and other spots we enjoyed. But we are not familiar with the dock area. Since we want to do only driving around we do not need a hotel on the beach, my thoughts are to stay near the airport, LAX. We will get a rental car at the airport for our 2 days pre cruise, but then how do we get to the port? We will need a rental car for our 2 day post cruise, how do we get a rental car at the port upon returning? I was thinking of Princess transfers to the port? Anyone know of a decent clean hotel near the airport since we will not spend too much time there? I'm sure I will have a lot more questions until May, but these are my starting points. Thanks

I'm sure you will get plenty of hotel recommendations from other posters, but here is my suggestion.

I have stayed at the Airport Marriott 3 times before and after cruises and will be again in March for another cruise, and it's very nice. It can be booked through Princess. The current daily rate booking that way is $69 per person. Staying there includes the Princess transfer to the pier (and back to the hotel if you book a post-cruise night).

Why stay at a hotel by the airport for a few days? Why not consider staying in Santa Monica or Hollywood? Check out the various hotel threads and you'll find many possibilities.

Personally, if I was visiting LA (or anywhere else), I would stay at an airport hotel only if I had an early flight the next day.

I agree. Stay in Santa Monica. Rent your car at the airport, and drop it back at LAX, take the rental car shuttle to LAX and take a paid shuttle (like SuperShuttle) from there to the port. When you come back from your cruise, take SuperShuttle to LAX, rent your car, and then drive to a hotel in the Santa Monica area again. You will save a lot in one-way or drop off fees this way, and have a much bigger selection of car rental companies.

If you do want to stay near the cruise ship pier, it is San Pedro, and pretty much it is the Crown Plaza or the Doubletree. San Pedro is not much of a beach community (there is a small beach near the Cabrillo Marine Center). It is largely an industrial and some fishing port town. While there are a few things to do in the area, it is not really a beach town.

Agree with the others, you can do a lot better than staying at a souless, cookie-cutter hotel at LAX.

BTW, I live about 5 miles from what's left of the El Toro base. The military moved out and several elections to turn it into an international airport failed. It was earmarked for a mixed-use urban park and development controlled by a consortium of cities in the area. The City of Irvine did a big political power grab and gained control of the entire property. That was right at the beginning of the real estate crunch and Irvine has spent close to 100 million with little to show for it. Sort of sad to drive past. Plans to use barracks for homeless shelters or low-income housing were rejected and Irvine had the structures razed. Weeds grow in areas the Marines kept spotless. Sorry to be OT, thought a quick update might be interesting.

Since the OP wanted to know about places to stay near LAX, that is what I replied to.

I don't consider the Marriott @ LAX a "souless cookie-cutter" hotel. Maybe if I were suggesting a "motel-6" type of chain motel, that would apply. But this is a Marriott, and it's a nice place. The rooms are very comfortable and nicely appointed. Bed linens and towels are very nice. The lobby is large and has nice seating groupings. The inhouse restautants have decent food, if one doesn't feel like going elsewhere for a meal. The open-air atrium is huge, with a large pool, lots of lounge chairs, and a rather roomy hot tub. The concierge desk is very helpful for getting information on rental cars, tours, shopping, driving directions, etc.

And a big plus is that the transfer to the pier is included in the price.

Not everybody is looking for a hotel at the beach or near the pier.

Since the OP wanted to know about places to stay near LAX, that is what I replied to.

I don't consider the Marriott @ LAX a "souless cookie-cutter" hotel. Maybe if I were suggesting a "motel-6" type of chain motel, that would apply. But this is a Marriott, and it's a nice place. The rooms are very comfortable and nicely appointed. Bed linens and towels are very nice. The lobby is large and has nice seating groupings. The inhouse restautants have decent food, if one doesn't feel like going elsewhere for a meal. The open-air atrium is huge, with a large pool, lots of lounge chairs, and a rather roomy hot tub. The concierge desk is very helpful for getting information on rental cars, tours, shopping, driving directions, etc.

Your reply was exactly what I was looking for, but I do thank everyone else for their replys.

We do not want a resort/beach type hotel for this trip. We only want a place to sleep and a convienent way to get to the port, which is why I asked about the airport hotels. We will be spending all out time out of the room driving to places we visited before and to see how much has changes.

Thankd again

Agree with the others, you can do a lot better than staying at a souless, cookie-cutter hotel at LAX.

BTW, I live about 5 miles from what's left of the El Toro base. The military moved out and several elections to turn it into an international airport failed. It was earmarked for a mixed-use urban park and development controlled by a consortium of cities in the area. The City of Irvine did a big political power grab and gained control of the entire property. That was right at the beginning of the real estate crunch and Irvine has spent close to 100 million with little to show for it. Sort of sad to drive past. Plans to use barracks for homeless shelters or low-income housing were rejected and Irvine had the structures razed. Weeds grow in areas the Marines kept spotless. Sorry to be OT, thought a quick update might be interesting.

So sorry to hear about El Toro, my daughter left for NC about a year before it closed. She worked on El Toro but lived at the other base a couple of miles down the road where the hello's were, but can't remember the name. We wanted to drive by, now it will probably make me sad, that was her first assignment in 93, still in the Marines but in Maryland. Thanks

Jake...

Since you main plan is to rent a car and drive around, you might enjoy these driving tours:

Taste of LA

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=511653

Between LA to San Pedro

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=500138

San Pedro Filming Locations

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=567043

Enjoy...

loveJake- Here's a piece on MCAS El Toro: http://www.salem-news.com/articles/july292008/el_toro_ghosttown_7-29-08.php

There's another good online photo essay but couldn't find it. Some of the hangars have been put to interesting uses...a homebuilder constructed complete "prototype" homes inside a hangar. People actually live in them for a few days at a time and the builder can test different ideas. I was in another hanger around Christmas, they used it as a collection and distribution point for Toys for Tots and my son's Scout group was helping.

Your daughter must have lived at the Tustin helo base. Its been a bit more fortunate. Areas are being developed into residential, malls, and educational sites. There are two huge dirigible hangars (world's largest wood structures). One will probably remain standing, it's on the Natl Register of Historical Places. The other may be torn down but turn into park/museum space.

Enjoy your cruise!

hello,

I agree that the Marriott at LAX is a nice hotel. My question...does this hotel's shuttle van take you to the LA Harbor cruise terminal or the Long Beach cruise terminal at no charge?

hello,

I agree that the Marriott at LAX is a nice hotel. My question...does this hotel's shuttle van take you to the LA Harbor cruise terminal or the Long Beach cruise terminal at no charge?

I think for the transfers to be included you have to book the room thru Princess which I think is $69 for the first night and $49 for each additional night. If you book 1 night pre and 1 night post the transfers are included, this is per person. But I looked at the price for this hotel and booking thru Princess with the transfers included it really does seem bad. I just want an easy transfer to and from the hotel to the port since we do not know West coast cruising. This is a combination retirement/birthday gift for my DH since he has said he would like to return to the LA area and I really don't feel like spending a whole week sight eeing, so I combined 3 days of touring with the 7 day cruise.

Hello,

The Super Shuttle or Prime Shuttle fares from LAX area hotels to the Los Angeles Harbor Cruise terminal range from $32 to $38.00 for two adults, not including the driver's gratuity, or $16 -!9.00 per person (not including any discounts from AAA or Travelocity). This is the best way to go unless you can turn in your rental car at the cruise terminal. No negotiations with taxi drivers are necessary, and you can pre pay everything over the Internet.

If you have a rental car there is a huge selection of excellent hotels in the Los Angeles area, at great prices.

Archived