Asking for Upgrades?

GoingAway9

I was talking to a co-worker of mine about our upcoming cruise because I'm excited. He's been on 7 cruises, and told me that when he gets on the boat he always goes to the desk (I have no idea what desk he's talking about... I'm new at this) and asks for an upgrade. He says he's been upgraded 4 times...

Does this really happen, or was he making things up? Carnival's website says they can't offer upgrades the day of because they always "sail full"... but I'm sure they're not always completely full.

Anyone have any experience with this? It would be awesome if we could get an upgrade, but I don't want to be that annoying guest trying to get something that just isn't going to happen...

I was talking to a co-worker of mine about our upcoming cruise because I'm excited. He's been on 7 cruises, and told me that when he gets on the boat he always goes to the desk (I have no idea what desk he's talking about... I'm new at this) and asks for an upgrade. He says he's been upgraded 4 times...

Does this really happen, or was he making things up? Carnival's website says they can't offer upgrades the day of because they always "sail full"... but I'm sure they're not always completely full.

Anyone have any experience with this? It would be awesome if we could get an upgrade, but I don't want to be that annoying guest trying to get something that just isn't going to happen...

I can't say it never happens, but there all kinds of stories posted here about all kinds of interesting things (good and bad) happening on Carnival, and I don't recall too many stories of walk-on upgrades.

Interesting thread... I guess my best chance is if I wait until day 2 to see if they have any available...

I wish more people were just flexible. I work at a hotel, and if we're not sold out and someone asks for an upgrade and we have one available, I always always give it to them. No questions asked. Maybe karma will pay off :p

If not, I'll still have a fabulous time (:

Canival usually does their upgrading two weeks prior to sailing. They move the lower priced cabins up and then sell the cheap cabins to Florida residents for a song, lol. There was a time BEFORE 9/11 that you could go to the pier and they'd let you book on the spot. Since 9/11 however, that is no longer the policy. They do keep a few cabins available for emergencies, (like plumbing or air conditioning problems etc) but it won't be an upgrade to a suite, since they already upgraded all balcony people to those long before sailing. Being a travel agent and having booked lots of cruises for clients, I have rarely seen any last minute upgrades. The upgrade fairy doesn't work at the pier, lol, she works in headquarters before you sail.

I would even call Carnival and see if they have any upgrades available (as long as you booked through them...don't think it would work with a TA).

Looks like you are leaving soon!! Me too :D Enjoy your 1st cruise (BUT BE WARNED!! YOU WILL GET HOOOKED :eek:) :p

ETA: I just realized that we are leaving the same day but from opposite ends of the country!! HAHA

Archived