? for those who have toured in Acapulco...

MaiTaiMary

If you've already been on a tour in Acapulco, how long was it? Do you think the time you spent was enough, not enough, or just right?

We're trying to decide between 3 hours and 6 hours. Honestly, there just isn't a lot in Acapulco that looks interesting to us (online, that is), but I'm wondering if once we get there, just driving around with a private tour guide might be kinda fun. We have 12 hours in Acapulco and if we don't go on a longer tour (then end up at the cliff divers), I'm just not sure what else we'll do.

Please, no plugs for tour operators. :) Just wondering on a time limit in this thread. Thanks! :D

If you've already been on a tour in Acapulco, how long was it? Do you think the time you spent was enough, not enough, or just right?

We're trying to decide between 3 hours and 6 hours. Honestly, there just isn't a lot in Acapulco that looks interesting to us (online, that is), but I'm wondering if once we get there, just driving around with a private tour guide might be kinda fun. We have 12 hours in Acapulco and if we don't go on a longer tour (then end up at the cliff divers), I'm just not sure what else we'll do.

Please, no plugs for tour operators. :) Just wondering on a time limit in this thread. Thanks! :D

Most "Tours" run 4 - 5 hours. Most tour companies offer the same exact "Tours". No variation. Most companies really just want you to buy junk so they can get a commission. And many of the Private tour guides are both here and on TA writing their own "Fantastic Rave Reviews". And many are feeding you false or misleading information to sell those tours.

You can see the cliff divers on your own. You can go to most beaches and rent Jet Skis, go para sailing, you can go to Acarey boat launch and cruise around the bay. There is nothing you can't do on your own. Cheaper.

I love para sailing, jet skis, Shotover Jet Boats, Acarey yacht, Palao Island club on la roqueta island. All of these activities can be done on your own and the timing is perfect because you can decide the time spent by your self.

Consider this .. You can hire a tour guide or company to taxi you around for a wonderful boring time for $50 - $100 or you can do all of the above activities on your own for about the same price.

We had a party of 6 and hired a driver at the terminal to take us around, as we had never been to Acapulco. We had a couple of places in mind that we wanted to see, but then left the rest up to him. He gave us a few suggestions, and we had a nice time. It lasted about 5-6 hours and we ended up at the cliff divers. It cost us $25 per person, which we thought was a good deal for what we got... it was a good way to see the city.

The only issue we had, and it wasn't a big deal - was that when he took us shopping at a flea market, he was insistant that we shop at certain stores, as I'm sure he got a kick back from those vendors if we bought anything. We just ignored him for the most part and went where we wanted to go. He gave up after a while and went back to the van and waited for us... :)

Other than that, he was very nice and spoke English pretty well. The van was air conditioned and it was nice to have that extra room to put all our stuff in.

When you disembark there will be tour drivers all around the pier. We found one to take us on a city tour and ended up at the cliff divers. It was 25.00 US and well worth it. We were not taken to any markets but did stop at one or two old hotels that were very interesting....all about the old movie stars.

The van held 8 but we ended up with 5 and took us about 4 hours which was enough time for us. It was air conditioned and the driver spoke excellent English and was very proud of his city and knew it's history. A very nice time.:)

Most of the vans are newer and air conditioned.

Many of the people "Hanging around" outside of the terminal are uninsured, not correctly licensed for passengers and really are not supposed to be there.

This could cause a real problem for you if you are in a accident or stopped by the police.

You are better off in a Taxi.

And be cautious of what advice you follow often you will hear plugs in the forums for specific drivers / guides. Often it is the driver / guide giving the plug. They have computers too..

Tours are as long as you want them to be. People offering such services tend to sell you as much time as you'll tolerate - because they make more money that way.

The tour topic is a frequent one on this forum and you might want to take advantage of the "search" feature to read the many reports about time, money, sights seen, etc.

No two travelers are alike so don't let the likes/dislikes of others dictate your own travel plans . . . or you may find yourself disappointed.

There are tour companies and there are people, individuals, who operate tours with their own vans and there are "taxi's" that operate as private cars for individual service (in marked taxi vehicles as well as personal cars) and who also speak English. Many of these people have been previously identified on this forum in other discussions.

The one strong point supporters of the "official" guides affiliated with the cruise ship terminal make is that the tour companies and drivers they recommend are reportedly insured and if something happens during the tour you're better protected, etc. Of course, the charge for using those terminal-affiliated services will be more expensive. I often read trip reports here from people who've used the independent van guides having paid, for groups of 5 or 6, about US$25 p.p. for a 5-hour trip.

There are many suspicious trip reports or postings touting one or another tour guide service that appear on travel forums such as this but the infrequent visitor to Acapulco, and other ports, aren't likely to spot them. Regular readers/participants can often detect the advertising, inaccuracies, etc.

Moon Handbooks publishes what I think is an excellent guide to Acapulco, and one for the Pacific Coast of Mexico that covers all or most of your itinerary. Why not stop by your local independent bookstore or public library to have a look at them, maybe check one out our buy it, and see which attractions/sights in Acapulco (and elsewhere) that interest you. After you have an idea of what's possible you can develop a "must see" list for your time in port and communicate with one of the tour guides/companies and ask them what the cost of such a tour will be.

Generally, my impression has been that most if not all of the guides offer the same itineraries and some of them push you into shopping situations or take you to their homes to soften you up for a bigger tip (playing the poverty angle), take you to a restaurant and then have you pay for their meal, or the meal of them and a child who tags-along, etc. You should dictate the itinerary and unless you want to spend time in the trinket shops/markets tell the driver you don't want to visit such places.

If you don't really care what you're going to do and you want to 'kill some time' and see a few things then write the drivers names on a list, close your eyes and point your finger to the list . . . and when you open your eyes the name at the end of your finger on the paper will be the company/person you choose.

Have a great trip!

Tours are as long as you want them to be. People offering such services tend to sell you as much time as you'll tolerate - because they make more money that way.

The tour topic is a frequent one on this forum and you might want to take advantage of the "search" feature to read the many reports about time, money, sights seen, etc.

No two travelers are alike so don't let the likes/dislikes of others dictate your own travel plans . . . or you may find yourself disappointed.

There are tour companies and there are people, individuals, who operate tours with their own vans and there are "taxi's" that operate as private cars for individual service (in marked taxi vehicles as well as personal cars) and who also speak English. Many of these people have been previously identified on this forum in other discussions.

The one strong point supporters of the "official" guides affiliated with the cruise ship terminal make is that the tour companies and drivers they recommend are reportedly insured and if something happens during the tour you're better protected, etc. Of course, the charge for using those terminal-affiliated services will be more expensive. I often read trip reports here from people who've used the independent van guides having paid, for groups of 5 or 6, about US$25 p.p. for a 5-hour trip.

There are many suspicious trip reports or postings touting one or another tour guide service that appear on travel forums such as this but the infrequent visitor to Acapulco, and other ports, aren't likely to spot them. Regular readers/participants can often detect the advertising, inaccuracies, etc.

Moon Handbooks publishes what I think is an excellent guide to Acapulco, and one for the Pacific Coast of Mexico that covers all or most of your itinerary. Why not stop by your local independent bookstore or public library to have a look at them, maybe check one out our buy it, and see which attractions/sights in Acapulco (and elsewhere) that interest you. After you have an idea of what's possible you can develop a "must see" list for your time in port and communicate with one of the tour guides/companies and ask them what the cost of such a tour will be.

Generally, my impression has been that most if not all of the guides offer the same itineraries and some of them push you into shopping situations or take you to their homes to soften you up for a bigger tip (playing the poverty angle), take you to a restaurant and then have you pay for their meal, or the meal of them and a child who tags-along, etc. You should dictate the itinerary and unless you want to spend time in the trinket shops/markets tell the driver you don't want to visit such places.

If you don't really care what you're going to do and you want to 'kill some time' and see a few things then write the drivers names on a list, close your eyes and point your finger to the list . . . and when you open your eyes the name at the end of your finger on the paper will be the company/person you choose.

Have a great trip!

Well said and thought out GoMexico. My hat is off to you. I know Acapulco as well as I know the back of my hand. I know the suspicios posts and posters.. Amazing how many plugs you see for R--ie or TBV.. And I know all to well your sentiments for the first mentioned. I have been reading these boards for a few years. I also have a very intimate knowledge of the industry.

• 3 weeks later...

After the Old Movie Star Hotels, and the Cliff Divers, one might consider the Shotover Jet Boat followed by an unadvertised tour of TEHUACALCO which is like Chitzenitza on the Cancun side. We are doing BOTH for $100 pp.:p

Archived