Lots of first timer questions on the Valor

themadzins

Hi!

I am taking the Valor for a sail Dec 27-Jan3. We are celebrating a 40th birthday New Year's Eve! There are 11 people in our group.

I have NEVER cruised before and have a few questions. Please help!

Can you bring water or soda on board?

What is the cost of a domestic bottle of beer? A mixed drink?

Is all the food free on board?

Is the soda card worth it? Drink of the Day card?

As far as excursions...I am not interested in the zip lines, stingray, or scuba. Can you just get off the ship and explore the city on your own? If no, what do you recommend?

Any other tips are so appreciated. I am nervous as this is the first cruise for my DH and me, so all the info I can get prior to departure is great.

Thanks so much!!!

You can bring a "reasonable" amount of soda or water and one 750 ml bottle of wine onboard.

You dont have to sign up for excursions, you can get off and shop or wander around, or even do a private excursion not thru Carnival. I dont recommend renting a car in a foreign country, too many set ups.

There is a pay restaurant, but if you are like me you will want to try out the free stuff and being a first cruise, I wouldnt do the pay restaurant...there is sushi, free piza and ceasar salad (with out without grilled chicken), fish and chips place, deli, etc.. lots of good choices, or eat in the dining room on sea days or do the buffet. I do the buffet and make a huge salad most days. I love salad.

enjoy

As you can see, there are lots of choices on a cruise ship. The drinks are a little pricey and don't forget the 15% gratuity added PER DRINK. We simply don't drink alcohol on the ship, but catch a few at the different ports if we desire.

We're both in our 60's and still love to snorkel, go on jeep safaris, hike etc. However, in most ports it is possible to simply walk around although you'll spend a lot of time caught up in all the craft/souvenir shop areas.

We eat most of our meals in the main dinning room because that is what a vacation is all about. If I wanted to just go through a buffet line, I could stay home and go to most any fast food place. However, once again, the choice is all yours. Breakfast delivered to your cabin is always nice too!!!

Just expect to have a grand time and enjoy every minute.

I am with my family..group of 11. My DH and I really like to visit cities and we have others that will be doing the ziplines, swimming with creatures, etc. I just want to be sure that we will be able to tour the cities we dock at, Grand Cayman, Roatan, Belize and Cozumel.

Do you suggest we hire a tour to see the city or can we do it on our own?

We are on the Dec 27-Jan 3 cruise. Is there any weather issues that I should be concerned with?

Any great places we "must" see while in port?

Thanks so much!!

All these ports, if I remember right, have city tours or tours that take you out and about. One would probably not want to venture out on your own in Cozumel. We took a great little tour in Grand Cayman that included visiting Hell, a rum factory and some other interesting sights.

You can go online and check out all the ship excursions that are offered at each port. Likewise, online you can check out private tour companies at each port.

All these ports, if I remember right, have city tours or tours that take you out and about. One would probably not want to venture out on your own in Cozumel.

Do you have a reason for that? I would say that Cozumel and Grand Cayman are the safest/most familiar, and Belize/Roatan are a bit more sketchy or uncomfortable... The people I met in those ports seem perfectly nice, but the poverty is daunting and you will face more beggars.

We are cruising in the beginning of December on the Valor. We have heard very good things about victor boden tours in rotan. You can google that name for info.

We have been to Grand Caymen before and did a combo excursion through Carnival..hell stingrays and turtle farm.

Excited to hear more advice about the other ports

One would probably not want to venture out on your own in Cozumel.

I agree with Drew-B. What makes you say this about Cozumel?

We have done both land vacations and cruise visits to Cozumel, and feel absolutely safe walking around town and seeing the sights. We have rented a car and driven around the island. The East side is undeveloped and beautiful. The park at the south end of the island, Punta Sur is definitely worth a visit.

If you want to have a drink or two at one of the many beach club/bars around the island, it would be better to hire a driver than rent a car. If you do rent a car, be sure to get the full (liability and collision) insurance.

Don't rent a scooter. Too dangerous.

All these ports, if I remember right, have city tours or tours that take you out and about. One would probably not want to venture out on your own in Cozumel. We took a great little tour in Grand Cayman that included visiting Hell, a rum factory and some other interesting sights.

You can go online and check out all the ship excursions that are offered at each port. Likewise, online you can check out private tour companies at each port.

Why would you not venture out alone in Cozumel? We love walking around town especially the further back you go. Fantastic authentic Mexican Cuisine! A whole lot safer the downtown Belize city.

Hi!

I am taking the Valor for a sail Dec 27-Jan3. We are celebrating a 40th birthday New Year's Eve! There are 11 people in our group.

I have NEVER cruised before and have a few questions. Please help!

Can you bring water or soda on board?

What is the cost of a domestic bottle of beer? A mixed drink?

Is all the food free on board?

Is the soda card worth it? Drink of the Day card?

As far as excursions...I am not interested in the zip lines, stingray, or scuba. Can you just get off the ship and explore the city on your own? If no, what do you recommend?

Any other tips are so appreciated. I am nervous as this is the first cruise for my DH and me, so all the info I can get prior to departure is great.

Thanks so much!!!

Go here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=&f=147

That is the port of call section of CruiseCriitic. Do NOT miss StingRay City in GC. Find info on Capt. Marvins or Nativeway Tours and book online in advance. A much more personal tour and less money than Carnival's tours. Read some others experiences with local guides, there are others CCers like besides Cap. Mar's. and Ntveway. Also look over your other ports under tha Port of Call section.

The only food that is extra cost is the coffee and dessert shop on the Promenade deck and the Steakhouse. Coffee and desserts are free in the DR and buffet. The Promenade coffee place is " Gourmet Coffee," an oxymoron in my opinion. And I like coffee but find ALL Gourmet coffees to be overoasted and bitter, or burnt and awful.

The Steakhouse serves actual USDA PRIME GRADE BEEF. Cost for a meal there is $30.00 per person which includes the tip. The meal compares with a $100. pp visit to a land Steakhouse.

Room Service is free but tip the waiter a buck or 2.

Do you have a reason for that? I would say that Cozumel and Grand Cayman are the safest/most familiar, and Belize/Roatan are a bit more sketchy or uncomfortable... The people I met in those ports seem perfectly nice, but the poverty is daunting and you will face more beggars.

I agree with Drew here....Grand Cayman feels like Florida to me, and Cozumel is very safe and easy to get around and do your own thing

Belize and Roatan are great, but you really need to have a Plan...a tour, an excursion, something lined up

I have been to Belize 2x and did Altun Ha and then the cavetubing, didn't use Carnival excursions, but I had it all lined up before I went

You would not just want to try to wander around yourself there IMHO

check out the Ports boards here for more info

We went in June and they had a DOD card for 25 dollars. You got 5 drinks. the first one came in the big plastic cup, just bring it back for your refill cause if you don't they use a small glass. My oldest DS and his friends liked this deal. If you like one DOD best you can get that anytime. If you are a beer drinker then get the bucket of beer as it is cheaper.:)

Been to Cozumel more than a dozen times. Not a hint of a problem. Have always gone out on our own. Eat the local food, drink the local drinks, shop the local shops. Cozumel was built to be a tourist playground.

Archived