Looking for good private tour guide

scomar

We booked with Victor Balbin (Countryside tours) and he had excellent communication. We had changed our minds quite a few times before the trip, yet he was patient with us and very flexible in meeting our needs and putting together a tour for us.

Victor was unable to meet us at the pier due to an emergency, so he sent Edwin Santos of AdvenTours of Puerto Rico (787 233-2126 in his place. Edwin was extremely personable, knowledgable, and gave us a fun, educational tour. He showed us some off-the-beaten path things that aren't often included in other tours.

I was very impressed with the professionalism of both Victor and Edwin in the way the last minute substitution was seemlessly handled! Communication from both of them was outstanding! I would highly recommend either one.

We had a great time with Victor last August, and I would highly recommend him to anyone. Glad you had a good experience with him too :)

We went with Natual Wonders in March. Ileana picked us up at our hotel at 9:30 on the dot (exactly when she said she'd be there) and spent the next 9 hours touring us through the rainforest, Luquillo beach, ate at the Kiosks (so good). What a great time. Just my DW, myself and Ileana. We are going back in Feb and will definitely be going with Natual Wonders again. Find them on facebook....

One thing to check prior to booking with anyone if you're interested in the BioBay is the moon phase for the night you're looking to go. The more moonlight, the less you'll see anything in the water. A new moon is best. A full moon is a waste of money.

• 2 weeks later...
Jennifer I've only done private tours on all our cruises and have luckily never had a problem. The way I chose our private tours is through the recommendations on cruise critic. Check out this website I hope it helps

http://www.toursbylocals.com/San-Juan-Tours?gclid=CNP1irW31qgCFaRl7AodDmShiA

Yvonne, have you personally used this company in PR. Has anyone else had any experience with them?

Has anyone used Albert recently. He was highly recommended in the beginning of this thread and then last year several people were disappointed that he didn't keep their confirmed appointment. Looking for a good guide to rain forest, if anyone has a recommendation.

Yvonne, have you personally used this company in PR. Has anyone else had any experience with them?

Hi Jennifer no I have never used a tour guide in Puerto Rico sorry I can tell you more. Have you tried Trip Advisor I really trust those reviews.

Has anyone used Albert recently. He was highly recommended in the beginning of this thread and then last year several people were disappointed that he didn't keep their confirmed appointment. Looking for a good guide to rain forest, if anyone has a recommendation.

We used him last October and he was awesome!

He was waiting for us at the base of the pier when we got off the ship and had the van running with the AC on for us.

He gave us a great tour of the Rainforst with some good descriptions of the surroundings on our way there. He made several stops in the rainforest area, made silly hats out of fallen leaves for my son and some others on the tour and was very helpful and knowledgable, pointing out different plants, lizards, snails and other rainforest life.

After the rainforest tour he took us around Old San Juan and dropped us off where we wished. DDs and their fiance's got off at El Morro as they had just enough time to go through, he dropped us off at the Super Max store in OSJ so we could pick up some Rum and one couple he brought back to the pier.

I would highly reccomend Albert for an awesome time.

We went with Natual Wonders in March. Ileana picked us up at our hotel at 9:30 on the dot (exactly when she said she'd be there) and spent the next 9 hours touring us through the rainforest, Luquillo beach, ate at the Kiosks (so good). What a great time. Just my DW, myself and Ileana. We are going back in Feb and will definitely be going with Natual Wonders again. Find them on facebook....

Good to hear. We are using them in July and are very excited for our tour.

• 4 weeks later...

We dock on October 5 on Carnival Liberty and are wanting to know if anyone can suggest an interesting day tour of surrounding area. We understand there is a fortress and possible markets - are there any? How far is the fort from the dock? Is it necessary to have an organised tour or is it just as easy to do our own thing? Would really appreciate some guidance.

Thanks for your time. Much appreciated.

I would NOT recommend using Albert @ Surf Cab Tours! He screwed my wifes birthday up and didnt even appologize for his error. I wrote a story about it in this forum somewhere and I ended up not being the only one to complain about his lack of professionalism. I heard tons of good stories about him so I booked him for a PRIVATE tour. He gave me the price of $300.00 for the day for a PRIVATE tour for my wifes birthday. When we arrived his van was FULL of people that he picked up at random on the dock! Needless to say I was upset and left with no other option but to SQUEEZE into his van with a bunch of other people. My wife had to sit in the front row and me in the very back...so I didnt even get to sit with my wife on the drive yet we were suppose to have the van to ourselves. I asked him whats going on and his says oh yeah I forgot. Never said sorry, never offered to resolve the issue in any way at all. Sure we paid the per person price instead of the price to reserve the whole van but still! I booked the whole van for a private tour and had a confirmation 2 days before we got on our cruise ship that our reservations were still good to go. The day turned out to be a real bummer. We were rushed though the things we wanted to do because others on the tour would waste time at other stops and wanted to spend time doing things we didnt want to do. Needless to say I wouldnt use nor recommend Albert in SJ, im sure there are plenty of others in SJ who would be more deserving of my money.

We dock on October 5 on Carnival Liberty and are wanting to know if anyone can suggest an interesting day tour of surrounding area. We understand there is a fortress and possible markets - are there any? How far is the fort from the dock? Is it necessary to have an organised tour or is it just as easy to do our own thing? Would really appreciate some guidance.

Thanks for your time. Much appreciated.

Check out this review I believe on page 3 he talks about Puerto Rico.

Post 55 on. He does mention the walk to the fort took about an hour and some of the streets are on fairly steep hills. He also mentions catching a cab or the free trolley.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1433950&highlight=map+of+san+juan

I would NOT recommend using Albert @ Surf Cab Tours! He screwed my wifes birthday up and didnt even appologize for his error. I wrote a story about it in this forum somewhere and I ended up not being the only one to complain about his lack of professionalism. I heard tons of good stories about him so I booked him for a PRIVATE tour. He gave me the price of $300.00 for the day for a PRIVATE tour for my wifes birthday. When we arrived his van was FULL of people that he picked up at random on the dock! Needless to say I was upset and left with no other option but to SQUEEZE into his van with a bunch of other people. My wife had to sit in the front row and me in the very back...so I didnt even get to sit with my wife on the drive yet we were suppose to have the van to ourselves. I asked him whats going on and his says oh yeah I forgot. Never said sorry, never offered to resolve the issue in any way at all. Sure we paid the per person price instead of the price to reserve the whole van but still! I booked the whole van for a private tour and had a confirmation 2 days before we got on our cruise ship that our reservations were still good to go. The day turned out to be a real bummer. We were rushed though the things we wanted to do because others on the tour would waste time at other stops and wanted to spend time doing things we didnt want to do. Needless to say I wouldnt use nor recommend Albert in SJ, im sure there are plenty of others in SJ who would be more deserving of my money.

Jay this is what I love about Cruise Critic you get honest reviews from honest people. Albert should know the power of Cruise Critic, word of mouth travels here very fast. Thanks for the word of warning and sad to read how he ruined your wives birthday.

Yvonne

Jay and Yvonne, thank you for your help. We will certainly say clear of Albert! He's a silly man, like you say word of mouth is everything in his business!

I'll read your recommended post. Thank you very much for your help.

• 2 weeks later...

I recently posted a short review of our cruise on the Enchantment in early June; we also used Victor Balbin from Countryside Tours as our guide in San Juan; he was amazing and I would highly recommend him to anyone; he has a web site of countrysidetourspr.com and an e-mail of countrysidetourspr@yahoo.com. His communication prior to the trip was always prompt; and he was waiting for us when we exited the ship; we learned so much from him as we drove to the rainforest; and he let us know we were in charge as to what we wanted to do; let me know if anyone has any questions!

I tried to book w/ Victor for our day in San Juan. He was unfortunately booked, but suggested we go with his friend Tony. I appreciate Victor's professionalism and going the extra mile to find an available tour guide for us. If anyone has used "Tony" please advise if he was a good guide. We have the rainforest planned as well as Old San Juan and a local lunch, being dropped of for some shopping.

I haven't seen a "Tony" on the boards but if Victor recommended him I would have complete faith; we did the Rainforest which takes a while to get out there (bring ponchos!!!) and toured OSJ; we wanted to eat dinner but we were completely soaked from the rain that started mid way on our rainforest trail; it was a blast no matter what

Thanks Walt Fan for your reply. I'm actually looking forward to some rain, but was it really humid? We sailed out of San Juan 3 yrs ago and I can remember how miserable I was in OSJ because of the humidity. Hoping its a bit cooler in the rainforest:)

Archived