Santiago Chile Hotel recommendations

bobby303

We stayed at the Hotel Orly, one night pre cruise in January. We liked the location and the staff. The room was small but very clean. There was free internet, a nice breakfast room and we received a free drink upon arrival. Try the pisco sour. It is in a lovely neighborhood and several restaurants are right next door. We went to Liguria, which had many selections and helpful wait staff. If you need a good tour company, use chilean journeys. We were in contact with Alwin Schuler and he sent his partner, Chris, who was excellent. He picked us up at SCL, toured the city, dropped us off at the hotel and the next day took us to a great winery, Vina del Mar and Valparaiso and to the port. All in all, it was a great experience.

we stayed at the Hotel Orly, one night pre cruise in January. We liked the location and the staff. The room was small but very clean. There was free internet, a nice breakfast room and we received a free drink upon arrival. Try the pisco sour. It is in a lovely neighborhood and several restaurants are right next door. We went to Liguria, which had many selections and helpful wait staff. If you need a good tour company, use chilean journeys. We were in contact with Alwin Schuler and he sent his partner, Chris, who was excellent. He picked us up at SCL, toured the city, dropped us off at the hotel and the next day took us to a great winery, Vina del Mar and Valparaiso and to the port. All in all, it was a great experience.

How did you find these people :)

If you need a good tour company, use chilean journeys. We were in contact with Alwin Schuler and he sent his partner, Chris, who was excellent. He picked us up at SCL, toured the city, dropped us off at the hotel and the next day took us to a great winery, Vina del Mar and Valparaiso and to the port. All in all, it was a great experience.

How did you find these people :)

We just left Santiago three days ago. Another excellent tour guide is Leonardo Cuzmar. Read my review here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/18148075-post2.html

Hey GTHOUGHT

"We had a great time at CASA MORO with Walter and Marcelo. The breakfasts were always awesome and the "lunch/dinner" experience worth skipping dinner out in town. Great hosts with plenty of suggestions for entertainment, experiences and food.

There are a number of "critters" but they were all quiet, polite, as friendly as you wanted them to be or left you alone if you wanted. We had free reign to roam the public areas and were even able to keep some extra wine or beer around for late night. "

What were the critters you referred to - pets? Were there a lot of them and if so enough to be annoying?

We just stayed at the Orly Hotel. Very courteous staff. We had a king room which was very spacious. Highly recommended. The price with breakfast with a senior discount was $113.

For Transport I do NOT recommend Christian the Vanman unless you want to gamble if someone shows up for you!

We stayed at the Orly about 3 years ago after a cruise, based on reviews. We found it okay but nothing great. Our room was no spacious. If you stay there make sure you aren't near an elevator. Tripadvisor and other sites have lots of reviews. It was in a nice area, near lots of restaurants and some shops, though we had to use the subway and/or taxis when we went to tourist sites downtown. We asked the hotel to call us a taxi for our early morning flight. As it turns out, the flight had to turn around after an hour, due to an advisory of some problem showing up on their computer. Long story, but Avianca put us in the Holiday Inn across from the airport terminal, at no cost. Very nice hotel, but rates were high (at least back then), and while great for proximity to the airport in case of an early morning flight, not the best choice as a base for sightseeing.

We stayed at the Hotel Orly as well and highly recommend it. Breakfast is good, the free internet was appreciated. We used Al Ramirez of Tours Chile and he was fantastic. He arranged the tours to fit what we wanted to see. The nice thing was that he spoke perfect English as he lived in New York for 17 years. He was born in Chile though. If you spend time in Valparaiso, they have a free walking tour. You just have to look for Waldo at the main square (red striped t-shirts). You just tip at the end if you liked the tour. We found the tour to be very entertaining.

• 3 weeks later...
Have just found it on: http://www.chile-hotels.com

for $160...a bit better

Julie

It is now two years after the above post, and I just went to the Santiago Park Plaza website and their Best Available Rate for a Standard King for Feb. 28, 2013 is $129, which includes a welcome drink and buffet breakfast. They will take you to the airport for $47 (I presume the pick-up from airport price would be comparable). Americans do not pay the VAT tax (I don't know if this is standard for all Santiago, or all Chilean, hotels).

If you have a foreign passport you dont pay tax on hotels in Chile if you pay with credit card.

The Santiago Park PLaza transfer for the airport is very good, competitive and reliable.

I have stayed again since that last post and the hotel was very good.

If it was my trip, I would rearrange your trip slightly. Disembark in Valpo and spend the night in Vina del Mar. Lots of relatively inexpensive hotels in the area-my favorite is the Cap du Cal. Usually http://www.chile-hotels.com/ has the cheapest prices for that hotel. VERY unique hotel on the sea wall. Here's a great picture of the hotel. http://www.travelpod.com/travel-photo/johnniemorrow/globetrotting06/1166110860/seaside_restaurant.jpg/tpod.html

Don't expect fancy and glitzy. In fact, kind of old but VERY clean. But the most unique hotel in the area. Plenty to do for a day in Vina-take the carriage ride through town, go up into the hills in Valpo and ride the funiculars, etc., etc. Have a lovely seaside dinner that night.

Then the following day-take a LATE (like 10:00AM) tour through the wine country and then a tour through Santiago. Try to time it so you go up on San Cristobal hill about sunset. Then head to the airport by no later than 6:00PM. The Santiago airport can be a real zoo most days. Enjoy!!!

We stayed one night at the San Martin Hotel in Vin del Mar. It was less than a block from the beach and a couple of great restaurants. Also, the hotel restaurant is pretty good. The price was reasonable. The rooms are not luxury, but it is a good deal.

We had a two day tour package including a hotel in Vin del Mar and Santiago, as well as tours in both Valpo/Vin and Santiago with a stop on the way to Santiago at a winery.

We used Southexcursions.

www.southexcursions.com

It is now two years after the above post, and I just went to the Santiago Park Plaza website and their Best Available Rate for a Standard King for Feb. 28, 2013 is $129, which includes a welcome drink and buffet breakfast. They will take you to the airport for $47 (I presume the pick-up from airport price would be comparable). Americans do not pay the VAT tax (I don't know if this is standard for all Santiago, or all Chilean, hotels).

We just booked Santiago Park Plaza through Expedia for $127 including taxes per night for Feb. 18-20, 2013 for two people. The hotel rate was $145 for 2 plus taxes. I asked them to match and they would not.

We are flying into Santiago and found out they have a $150 fee per person if you fly into Santiago-out, no fee and in on cruise ship, no fee, but flying-yes-yuk!!

Archived